• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The big trip and a new MV.

jking615

I am a lurker in these forums, and have for the past 2 years, been saving to purchase my first MV, a M35a2. I have no experience with the deuce, and no experience with MV's in general. In this, I feel my next move is either going to be a great adventure or a dumb mistake, and I have no idea which. That is why I need advise on what to do.

The vehicle in question is advertised as a 1966 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 with less than 55k miles on it. It has a cargo cover, bows, NDT's with spare, soft top, air transfer case, and honestly looks like it is great condition. It starts, runs, and drives. I have talked with the owner and have confirmed that it is mostly rust free. He is asking 7k, but I have talked him down to 6500. The big problem is that I live in Destin, Florida, and this vehicle is located in Lynchburg, Virginia. I am okay with driving the distance to get it, and driving back, but am I crazy for trying?

I am going to pick it up in about a month, and am having him send me pictures and video of it. What things should i specifically look for?

Thank you in advance for the help, and thank you for the community. I have learned a lot from these forums in the past year or so.

aleigh

I can't predict your luck in driving a new-to-you truck from VA to FL in essentially the winter, but, when you want one, you want one. And when that happens, nothing will substitute.

The operator TMs will be helpful. Take the TMs with you (this part is important), either printed or PDF. I probably would stick to the Interstates and leave the scenic route for another day. If you search around for "m35 recovery" you are likely to get a lot of information. If the truck is in good running condition I don't think you are crazy per-say. But be prepared for an uncomfortable journey. Ear protection, parka. You'll have a lot of time to think at 55mph.

The biggest thing out of all of it is probably if you don't have experience with anything heavy (particularly if you also plan on encountering snow). If the roads are mostly clean and dry, well, you are going to learn to drive it one way or another right. I wouldn't want my first time with a MV to be on icy roads. Maybe stick to driving in the day if temps are freezing at night.

Last edited:

jking615

I can't predict your luck in driving a new-to-you truck from VA to FL in essentially the winter, but, when you want one, you want one. And when that happens, nothing will substitute.

The operator TMs will be helpful. Take the TMs with you (this part is important), either printed or PDF. I probably would stick to the Interstates and leave the scenic route for another day. If you search around for "m35 recovery" you are likely to get a lot of information. If the truck is in good running condition I don't think you are crazy per-say. But be prepared for an uncomfortable journey. Ear protection, parka. You'll have a lot of time to think at 55mph.

The biggest thing out of all of it is probably if you don't have experience with anything heavy (particularly if you also plan on encountering snow). If the roads are mostly clean and dry, well, you are going to learn to drive it one way or another right. I wouldn't want my first time with a MV to be on icy roads. Maybe stick to driving in the day if temps are freezing at night.
Thanks for the advice. As the only one who will be driving it, I will stick to day driving, and at night I will nurse my poor buns back to health. We are going to be hitting it during spring break. I am currently looking over the TM's again, and I am trying to figure out what to look for first. I just pray I don't drive all the way up there to find a dud. For 7k though, I am hoping for something good.

aleigh

Thing is they are old trucks. If it's in good condition now, it might not be tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month. The best thing you can do is read the TMs, do the PMCS (speaking to what to look for), and get your wallet ready.

Do you have experience wrenching on cars? That is going to go a long way.

MVs are kind of like airplanes - I've never seen one where *everything* was working at the same time...

jking615

I have restored a few cars and am an avid offroader. Needless to say, I have spent way too many dollars and hours wrenching on things I have messed up. I am currently reading the PMCS and Lube order, as well as downloading all of them to have them printed and bound. Few thousand pages and a couple pounds to carry, but invaluable as far as troubleshooting goes. I wish old chevy's came with this much documentation.

jking615

I spent every year since I was 9 years old on a family shrimpboat wrenching on a detroit 6-110. It gave me a bit of "diesel madness." My grandfather told me about the old trucks he used to work on back when he was in the army and I was hooked on the idea of having one. Doesn't help that it has 3 axles, in my opinion that is just too cool to pass up.

But I'll make sure to bring my cameras. This has been a 2 year project getting all the different variables to line up, and I feel like this is the one, so for better or for worse, the heap of 50 year old steel is either going to make it to florida for a nice and easy retirement, or it's not. Either way, I am excited and very nervous. Have a bunch of my friends in Florida who are very excited to see it though. Took a whole week off to go up there, inspect it, purchase it, and drive it home. Feel like I might want to make that a second week so I can baby it and my back.

NovacaineFix

Good luck with your trip with your new MV.
You're not crazy, but just be safe on your adventure.

You'll get to know your new MV really quick.

Just do your basics and plan your route in case of break downs, bring tools, extra fuel, water and stuff, you'll have to build a list. If you need any tips on a long haul recovery, just PM 98G, he can walk you through all that, he has been there, done that.

Katavic918

If it doesn't have a boost gauge it might be worth it to install one before the return trip. If the fuel has been turned up it might be pretty easy to melt the motor going up a long steep grade. If you're in a hurry it would prob take all of 5 minutes to install one. Just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Katavic918

Does the fuel pump work? They will start and run without one but if you run out of fuel you will need to manually reprime the system. I found this out when I changed the filters on my deuce. I replaced the pump but I always keep a turkey baster for emergency's.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are. A few things sometimes overlooked by new deuce owners. Bring hearing protection. Either quality ear buds, foam plugs or muffs. If I'm in the saddle for 12 or more hours, I switch them up. Bring a jump box for 12v power in the cab. You may need to charge a phone or run a GPS which is super useful as a more accurate speedometer. Get a cheap light (headlight) for your head. I know you plan on day driving but you may get caught out after dark. Trust me, they really help in lots of ways. If it gets super hot in the cab, the best way to cool it is to close both door windows and tilt out a windshield about 4". Trust me, it works better than you can imagine. Will think of more later.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are driving up, plan on having a chase car so WHEN you have problems, there is another vehicle to go get parts, etc. Depending on what part of Fla you are in, you should be able to get there in a day or so, leaving you at least five days to get home. In a deuce, on the highway, figure on getting 300-400 miles a day maximum (it ain't the truck, it's the parts of you that contact the seat that get worn out). Take a 15 minute stretch break every couple of hours. If you are on the interstate, be sure to have some sort of 'slow moving vehicle' signs, such as a rotating or flashing beacon easily visible from the back. People drive fast on I-95 and will be on top of you before they (or you) know it. Best to avoid Atlanta if you are going that way (off of I-20 at exit 130 in Ga, then take Hwy 44 to Macon and pick up I-75 there) because of the traffic. US 29 is four lanes from Lynchburg down to Greensboro, NC, where you can pick up the interstate (and get on I-85 or I-95 from there). Be safe, and post progress info on your return trip.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a high dollar limit credit card and a list of heavy tow companies along the way . Study this before you go to get familiar with parts names and what to inspect .
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on how much you want to look over the truck before you get on the road.

The minimum I would suggest is, of course:
Oil
Coolant Level
Tire Pressure in all 11 tires. If it's the 9.00x20 NDTs, I suggest 60 PS in the front, 50-45 PSI in the rears. I assume you'll have an empty cargo bed.
In-Tank fuel pump works.

• If the in-tank fuel pump doesn't work, or it fails, you'll quickly wear out the booster pump and then injection pump. $1000 later you can start and drive again...
  • Signs of the in-tank fuel pump failing during your trip will be suddenly you can't exceed ~2000-2200 RPM, or it'll be VERY hard to start.

Given the distance you'd like to drive, I'd also suggest checking:
Gear oil level in all 3 differentials, transmission, and transfer case. Transmission and/or transfer case might be kind of hard to get your head up there so.. try like a camera or something.

Not that these are easy items to fix for a recovery/pickup, but also with the distance you plan to drive they'd be a concern to me. The front axle oil seals like to leak, and the knuckle boots are often torn. Torn knuckle boots mean dirt and water getting in the knuckle, wearing the u-joint. You can visually inspect the boots, and if the axle seal is leaking it'll be evident by a little bit of oil pooling in the wheel and then lines on the inside of the front tires as the oil is slung out while driving. Leaking inner axle seal will foul the grease in the bearings and u-joint and will lead to premature failures.

Recovry4x4 is absolutely correct about the proper way to cool down in a deuce. Hot engine and drive-train air can cook you in the deuce. Opening a window on the door can actually make it WORSE as it pulls the hot air into the cab. But if your side windows are rolled up, and a front wind shield tipped out, while you're moving it'll push cooler air in, and the hot air out. Also, tip out the passenger window instead of the driver's. It can mean less dirt/bugs/angry hornets in your face/chest. However, I have to tip out the passenger window before I start moving, or I have to pull over because it's too far to reach, let alone safely doing it while driving.

If you're on the stock 9.00x20 NDTs, the MAXIMUM speed the M35A2 is rated for is 56 MPH (don't exceed 2600 RPM), but I wouldn't suggest driving near 2600 for any extended period of time. If I recall correctly, you'll get your best fuel economy around 2100 RPM (expect about 8 MPG). 2100 RPM is about 45 MPH. Whenever I drive my deuce (even with my tire upgrade), I still divide the miles to be driven by 45 to estimate how long it'll take me to get somewhere.

I've read (never experienced though) that with a stock in-tank fuel pump, the last ~10 gallons aren't really usable and you can "run out" of fuel on hills. So take a spare 5 gallons of diesel, just in case, but even then, that's only ~40 miles worth of fuel.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have NDTs, 30 psi in the rear tires ride better. Run the front tires at the max. pressure because the front axle is near the tire's load limit. Good luck.

Opie

Is this the one? (It is still listed on Craigslist.)
It has some nice non-standard features: bumper steps to get up to service the engine, cab heater, spring suspension driver's seat, at least the base to strap a fuel can to the driver's step, and windshield washer fluid dispenser.
As you'll be driving south, don't forget sunglasses, as there are no sun visors.
00X0X_aANt8N8vVo_600x450.jpg
I don't have mad skills or big tools, but am about an hour from the truck if I can be of assistance to you.

Last edited:

aleigh

The other thing might be get familiar with the towing procedures. The commercial wrecker guy you call, you can't count on him to know. I don't know deuces but the LMTVs usually need the driveshafts out to be towed (for example). If you do run into trouble and maybe someone from around here with a MV offers to tow you, they may not have a tow bar - so if you are driving up, and think you want one anyways, maybe just buy a medium tow bar and chains in advance. Make sure to get the right foot size for a deuce. And even if you don't use it on this trip, now you can help someone else...

jking615

Is this the one? (It is still listed on Craigslist.)
It has some nice non-standard features: bumper steps to get up to service the engine, cab heater, spring suspension driver's seat, at least the base to strap a fuel can to the driver's step, and windshield washer fluid dispenser.
As you'll be driving south, don't forget sunglasses, as there are no sun visors.
View attachment 608441
I don't have mad skills or big tools, but am about an hour from the truck if I can be of assistance to you.
That is the one! It looks pretty good from just aesthetics, but the mechanics are what matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks