• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The bottom line: nobody makes hubs for a 5 ton??

DanielP

Does anyone make lockout hubs for 5 tons? If the answer is no, that might be the deciding factor in convincing me to plan for a deuce rather than a 5 ton.

powerhouseduece

I have not seen a set before but that doesent mean they done exist. If you can't find them one thing you can do is find a set of front drive flanges and put them on a lathe to bore the splines out of them. The first Deuce I ever owned had a sprag t-case and thats what I did. The extra drive flanges come in handy too for flat towing. you can just pull the rear axle shafts and bolt the flanges right up! Thats a hell of a lot better then climbing under the truck and un bolting the driveshafts!

I don't think hub's should keep you out of a 5 ton. ( Drive a deuce and then drive a 5 ton and you'll know what I mean)

Just my 2cents

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Winslow (252-883-2509) has developed a kit to allow a 5 ton with a sprag to "free-wheel" so that the sprag is disengaged completly. This means that is OK to allow the truck to roll backwards in a forward gear and forward in reverse. It is not the same as having a lockout, but there is a noticeable increase in power. Check with John. I bet he could install the kit on any M809 truck...or he might sell the kit for you to install.

USMC6062

Yes they exist. A place called Spare Parts and Equipment Inc (859-266-2188) in Kentucky still make them from the original Warn molds. I called and talked to the guy, and he made it sound like they are a hot item and he had another batch being made by the end of the week. I'm sure someone would buy them, but at $1250 each, yes that's $1250 EACH, I won't be buying any. Another company called Gearthart Engineering said they are planning on making some in the future, but didn't say what the cost would be. I have a picture a guy sent me of some original Warn hubs.

Attachments

Last edited:

DanielP

Thank you very much for the info. Those Warn converts are pricey! I figure on a bobbed 5 ton I would but Detroits front and rear, and hubs all around so that I can lock in on a wheel by wheel basis. But that is $5K worth of hubs. Yikes.

GoHot229

Can you have the insides of the stockers milled to de-spline them like some of the Deuce guys do? Then with a 'good' set (with splines) and one without you could choose to freewheel or not, just a fiew bolts, its off and back on, and a gasket now and again. You could probably get a gasket to live longer with some silicone too.

USMC6062

They used to use these hubs on monster trucks in the 80's. I was looking at a spec sheet for and 80's monster truck and it had listed 5 ton rockwell axles with warn locking hubs. Keep an eye out for old monster truck parts, you may run across a set.

rizzo

anyone else interested in 5 ton lockouts? Maybe we can convince someone to make them if there are a lot of people interested. send me a PM.

Last edited:

Scout

If the front axle is disconnected from the tires, and therefore not rotating, won't the transfer case sprag engage and drive the front end anyway (as though on a slippery surface where the rear tire speed would exceed the front)? So you're still driving the whole front-end, but not scrubbing tires on hard surfaces. And if that's the case (unless you have a front locker) you would only need to disengage/remove/modify one hub - right?

area52

If the front axle is disconnected from the tires, and therefore not rotating, won't the transfer case sprag engage and drive the front end anyway (as though on a slippery surface where the rear tire speed would exceed the front)? So you're still driving the whole front-end, but not scrubbing tires on hard surfaces. And if that's the case (unless you have a front locker) you would only need to disengage/remove/modify one hub - right?

Yes thats why you would need to cut off the air to the transfer case to "disable" the sprag.

Trango

Pardon the pun, but has there been any traction on the idea of lockouts? I'd be quite interested in lockouts for the 5 ton, if they are available.

wehring

air lock on 900 series

Lets not forget the airlock t-case on the 900 series. These are BEGGING for lockers and locking hubs.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you have the insides of the stockers milled to de-spline them like some of the Deuce guys do? Then with a 'good' set (with splines) and one without you could choose to freewheel or not, just a fiew bolts, its off and back on, and a gasket now and again. You could probably get a gasket to live longer with some silicone too.
I like this Idea the best.

If you have them desplined would you have the make it bigger and have a bushing installed then reamed to true axle figures?