• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce as my backup generator

Jakob

One method of getting 115 volt AC from a vehicle is to scrounge around for a UPS (Uninterruptable power supply)with dead batteries (cheap). Of course find one that has the voltage you need. These are available in many Wattages. I have a 2400 W and a 3600 W, if I remember correctly. One is installed in my Unimog radio truck.

Many smaller UPS's have 24 v (two 12v) batteries in them. Just remove the bad batteries and use adequate wires to connect in your trucks 24v. To get 115 vac out just turn on the UPS switch. Since there's no 115vac supply for it, it'll immediately start inverting and supply 115vac to the sockets on the UPS.

Fringe benefit is if you plug in the UPS when power is available, it'll float charge your truck batteries. Beware that the current rating for the charger in a UPS is tailored to the small UPS batteries so don't try to charge up dead truck batteries this way.

Bob
Happen to have any pictures of this setup? I can get old UPS's for probably free, never had a use for them, so I've never asked before.

Katahdin

Image below shows our back-up wood stove heated water heater, a propane gas water heater modified for the wood stove...
I admire your ingenuity. Until now I had no idea there was a flue going up through the middle of a gas hot water heater.

What are you doing to maintain water pressure, or are you plumbed into city supplied water?

Darwin T

i have seen pto generators for a tractor i think at northern tools. i have thought about putting a front/rear facing pto on my M109a3 and have a removable mount for the generator. i don't want it under there while driving around town. i just have not found out the rpm's of the rear shaft. i think it would need a bearing to hold the shaft while it was not conectted to the gene. i just looked and there is a 14HP, 24 HP and 48HP model. the small one is 7,200 running watt's. that is way down the line on my projects, but i have thought about it. hope this gives you some ideas.

oldMan99

Well... This may not exactly fit what your initially thinking of doing but it might be something worth considering.

Do you have air conditioning in your Deuce? (Would you like to have it?)
Do you have heat in your Deuce? (Would you like to have it? - Or more of it?)
Do you have a separate 12 volt DC system in your Deuce? (Do you want one?)

How about this:
20,000 BTU of ice cold A/C
13,500 BTU of heat
60 amps of 12 volt DC
6000 watts of 120 volt AC power

RigMaster Power - Features & Benefits

Mounts to the frame under the bed/cab like your fuel tank, batteries and spare.

Uses way less fuel than your primary engine. LOTS of stuff this thing can do, check the link above for more info.

New cost is about $8,000 but you can find these tings all day long used and in great condition for about $2,000-2,500.

If you add a bank of 12 volt deep cycle batteries (Personally I would use 4) you can run a good size inverter to give you 120 vac (volts AC) for several hours. The unit can be set so that it senses battery voltage and automatically starts the APU to recharge the battery bank, (Completely unattended - no need for you to get up at 0-dark thirty to start the engine) Once the batteries are topped off the unit shuts down. If you want/need more power than your inverter can put out just run the APU and get 6kw of good AC power.

Additionally, you can set the APU to start up automatically at a given time/date and run the A/C or heat for you. This can cool or heat your cab for you before you ever get in the truck. For somebody with a MV camper conversion this unit is almost a no brainer.

I know somebody is going to point out that in order to get the A/C or heat from the unit while your driving down the road you have to have the APU running as well as the main engine. Yes, this is correct. However, the APU uses so little fuel it is not really an issue. Also, consider that most people in large RV's do the same thing because the dash air of the RV is no way enough to cool (or heat) the entire RV while underway so most RV people run the generator so that they can run the roof A/C unit(s) while driving.

With the APU unit referred to here installed in your Deuce (and an inverter) you could install a small office type refrigerator in your cab and run it off the 110/120 VAC inverter that is running off your 12 VDC battery bank. When the batteries need recharging the APU fires up and takes care of it for you while your sitting in the Cracker Barrel having a nice dinner on the way back from the MV rally... Or whatever...:driver:

Read the page I linked to above and you'll see that it does a lot more as well. While this system may not be exactly what you asked about, I thought you might at least find it interesting.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I admire your ingenuity. Until now I had no idea there was a flue going up through the middle of a gas hot water heater.

What are you doing to maintain water pressure, or are you plumbed into city supplied water?
Yeah, cut a 3" hole in the top of the wood stove and welded a flared exhaust pipe section to it, which mates with a section of pipe welded to the center flue of the water heater. A damper in the original 6" flue gives some control of the heating of the water.
Water stays very hot, the over temp safety relief valve has popped a couple of times....
Pressure from the well pump.

oldMan99

Would LOVE to have something like that in Mah Deuce. Ended up installing all those things separately anyway. One case where I didn't do enough research before diving into things...
I know you must be absolutely sick about it now. Probably won't be able to sleep for several days, upset stomach causing you not to eat right...

Since it is the holiday season and I am a great and generous person I'll hep you out.

I'll buy your current rig for $100.00, (I'll even fly all the way across the USA to go get it and drive it back to Florida).

That way you can start all over again and "Do it right"... :mrgreen:

At least you'll be able to eat well and sleep at night.... :cool:

++++

On a slightly more serious note (And the real reason for this post) What page of this thread is that water heater/stove plumbing drawing on? I looked for it but for some reason my pages are loading really slowly today and after 3 pages I gave up...

Last edited:

mudguppy

DUG,
That genset runs on 540 RPM continuous. That's for farm tractors. That genset is not designed to run at 800 RPM. Your Deuce engine will stall if you somehow manage to slow it down to 540.
actually, since the PTO runs 2/3 engine rpm in 'low' and 'reverse', this would be a perfect ratio. 800 engine rpm = 533 PTO rpm. bump it up a little (810) and you've got 540 at the PTO.

however, idling a MF for long periods is bad.

regardless, i agree, that you wouldn't want that PTO generator down under the truck.... somewhere.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh... Don't ever listen to a Lister(oid) You will HAVE to get one...

Oh, wait, you CAN'T get one anymore... the EPA just banned them because they are super easy to work on and burn bio fuels extremely well! :cookoo:

RigMaster Power - Features & Benefits

With the APU unit referred to here installed in your Deuce (and an inverter) you could install a small office type refrigerator in your cab and run it off the 110/120 VAC inverter that is running off your 12 VDC battery bank. When the batteries need recharging the APU fires up and takes care of it for you while your sitting in the Cracker Barrel having a nice dinner on the way back from the MV rally... Or whatever...:driver:
That is what I need! I could mount it in place of the pioneer tool rack!

oldMan99

Ya but,if you had to do a recon mission with your deuce,you would have to unhook and there goes your power.:driver:

That is very true. However, life is seldom perfect and choices have to be made. Chances are that if the truck is out on recon the home owner is in the truck and does not need power at the home, but he might enjoy the A/C or heat in the truck...... year round. On the other hand, a stand alone generator does have the advantage of being able to be left behind and separate from the truck. However, the OP did initially ask abut how to use/modify the Deuce to provide the power indicating that he was not interested/concerned with "Separate-ability" of the power source from the truck.

Also, the APU option gives the Deuce A/C, heat, (or more heat if it already has heat) all the time and it removes the need to install a 12 VDC alternator on the truck and provides way more 110/120 VAC power than the OP initially had thought might be available.

Just for reference for those that do not know 6kw (6,000 watts) of 110/120 VAC is enough to run almost everyting in your house that runs on 110/120 all at the same time. Lights in multiple rooms, 2 tv's, the microwave and refrigerator, no problem at all. In most RV's it will run 2 roof A/C units, every light in the coach, the microwave and a TV all day long. 3 A/C units (Or a large central unit) and you need to move up to a larger gen, usually one that outputs 220 VAC.

There are several ways to use the gen power inside the house. Initially the OP was planning on just running a couple extension cords out the door/window to give a few items power. While that is somewhat workable, it is a true pain in the butt and a more complete system is about 100x more user friendly and in the most raw basic form is very affordable, costing less than $100.00

I live in Florida and prior to that in another Gulf Coast state (Both areas prone to frequent hurricane "attacks") and I have been involved with emergency preparedness organizations so I really understand the need and convenience of adequate power to make life many times more comfortable. - After Hurricane Andrew hit S. Florida it hit us. My entire County was without power for over a week. During that time the County owned Ambulances in my section of the county all came to my house to pump fuel from my personal 550 gallon diesel tank because I had the only accessible fuel supply and a generator to run the pump. (This has since been fixed)

I have designed power back up systems for well over 100 families tailoring the system to need/want and financial ability/commitment. Everything from pedal power to run a 12 VDC alternator to charge a single deep cycle car battery to a 100% fully automatic system using a 30kw unit (to run 125% of EVERYTHING in the house including central heat-a/c and clothes washer/dryer running from 2 buried 1,000 propane tanks. I only say this as a bit of a qualifier that I have at least a basic understanding of most of the workable ways to provide power to the house and most of the pros/cons of each option.

Rather than further hijacking this thread, If the OP is interested in shifting the thread toward "Now that I have a power source figuered out, how do I best integrate it into my house" I'll be happy to discuss possible methods, if he is happy with his current plan then I'm happy as well and have noting more to add... ;-)

(EDITED TO ADD: In thinking about the lack of the ability to sepperate the generator from the truck... On the other hand.... I wonder if you live in an area where your HOA gives you crap (Or forbids) your parking a Deuce or other MV... Check the rules to see if your allowed to have an emergency generator to provide power to your home in the event of utility system failure. Chances are they will say yes with no problem. Check the HOA rules to see what if any limitations to the size/design of the generator.... I'm sure you can see where this is going... "Sir, while this may look like a big green army truck to you that is not allowed in the HOA, in reality it is my choice of what to use as a HOA rules approved emergency power generator, have a nice day.... Sir.) - I'm just sayin....:cool:

Last edited:
Rather than further hijacking this thread, If the OP is interested in shifting the thread toward "Now that I have a power source figuered out, how do I best integrate it into my house" I'll be happy to discuss possible methods, if he is happy with his current plan then I'm happy as well and have noting more to add... ;-)

(EDITED TO ADD: In thinking about the lack of the ability to sepperate the generator from the truck... On the other hand.... I wonder if you live in an area where your HOA gives you crap (Or forbids) your parking a Deuce or other MV... Check the rules to see if your allowed to have an emergency generator to provide power to your home in the event of utility system failure. Chances are they will say yes with no problem. Check the HOA rules to see what if any limitations to the size/design of the generator.... I'm sure you can see where this is going... "Sir, while this may look like a big green army truck to you that is not allowed in the HOA, in reality it is my choice of what to use as a HOA rules approved emergency power generator, have a nice day.... Sir.) - I'm just sayin....:cool:
Well the Idea would be to keep it cheap, is there any way to find one of these for under say... $1500.00? I know I can hear it now..."you could buy 2 gensets for that!!!" But this thing has peaked my interest. Where could I find one used? Does it draw fuel from the existing fuel tank/pump or does it have a seperate tank?

oldMan99

Well the Idea would be to keep it cheap, is there any way to find one of these for under say... $1500.00? I know I can hear it now..."you could buy 2 gensets for that!!!" But this thing has peaked my interest. Where could I find one used? Does it draw fuel from the existing fuel tank/pump or does it have a seperate tank?
$1,500 may be tough or for that price you may only get an older higher hour unit.
Remember, you get what you pay for though. These things have a new retail of over $8,000. You don't really want to get one for to cheap...lol.

Also, keep in mind that your not getting just a generator, your getting a $500-$1000 A/C unit, a $300-$500 heater, 12 VDC kit ($200?) all for the same price... On the other hand, go price a top quality Honda or Onan LIQUID COOLED 6kw generator, (Generator only) I don't think you will touch one for $2,500, let alone getting two of them for that price. Go to SamsCostoMart and you can get a high RPM air cooled "Disposable" 5-7kw unit for about $1.00-1.50 per watt. And you get to go out in the rain/snow to fill the gasoline tank every 6-7 hours. Again, you get what you pay for....

The places I would look for one are of course ebay, clist and then go visit the local places that work on the big trucks. Ask for the service manager and ask if they have any used units available.

If you have a large truck stop in your area you can check and see if they have a bulletin board for the drivers to post messages and stuff like this for sale and so forth. If so, look there and leave a note that your looking for a truck APU.

These are designed to be installed in a truck and them moved to the new truck when that one is retired. It is not uncommon for them to be in 2 or 3 different trucks during their life so finding one sitting on a pallet in some 18 wheeler service shop is pretty good.

The fuel can either come directly from your main tank or you can install a separate tank, your choice.

Of course there are a few other brands as well, but most are not 100% contained in the single outside unit, some need an external condenser to be mounted (Looks like a small radiator with a fan, or maybe a extra large oil cooler with a fan - if you look at the back of the cab of enough 18 wheelers sooner later you'll see one bolted to the back of the cab.) Of course they all have an inside part, otherwise all your A/C and heat would be outside, kind of useless....

Hope this helps!

Whatever you decide, you have to let us know and then update us as to how it works out for you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks