• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce as my backup generator

Varyag

I just got a great 6k off of craigslist for 300 dollars. I can't think of an easier way to do it.

Starts on the first pull and does 240 for a house hookup.

If you just got a small genset you could bring it along if you wanted it in your deuce or just set it by the house and you don't have to spend that much.

oldMan99

Great, now I have to get an APU for the Alaska trip!
A couple weeks ago in a different thread I had asked if you had a co-driver or an empty seat... If you have an empty seat and are interested in possibly having a co-driver, email me... I can probably make myself available... Especially if you have a cool new APU installed! :)

(If you really want an APU I know where 2 nice used ones are sitting ready for sale)

:driver::driver:

Pappas

1.5 kw gas 28v DC generator

We run MEP025A military 28v 1.5kw DC gas generators hard wired in to the trucks electrical system and mounted on extra tank mounting brackets in place of the pioneer rack and spare tire. We also have an AC inverter in the cab with a waterproof 110v outlet mounted to the outside of the cab beneath the slave cable receptical. it will recharge 6TL's with authority and with the inverter we can even plug freeze plug and block heaters in and run them off the truck. 6TL's will run a ton of stuff on a good quality inverter. can run any hand power tools needed off the cab mounted 110. it rocks.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We run MEP025A military 28v 1.5kw DC gas generators hard wired in to the trucks electrical system and mounted on extra tank mounting brackets in place of the pioneer rack and spare tire. We also have an AC inverter in the cab with a waterproof 110v outlet mounted to the outside of the cab beneath the slave cable receptical. it will recharge 6TL's with authority and with the inverter we can even plug freeze plug and block heaters in and run them off the truck. 6TL's will run a ton of stuff on a good quality inverter. can run any hand power tools needed off the cab mounted 110. it rocks.
Sir:
First order of business.....

WELCOME to SS :-D

Second order of buisness and the CARDINAL RULE around here......

nopics

Thanks

Yes Welcome to SS! Can you start the generator from inside the cab like the 'Rigmaster' a few posts back?

AceHigh

Oldman's Rigmaster does indeed fit the original poster's question of powering the home from the deuce. I just got a house way out in the country, this looks like a great idea for my A3. One question, where would you mount such a unit? In the bed?

Thanks Oldman. If I get farther into this project next summer, I will post.

As always great ideas from steelsoldiers. Merry Christmas guys.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like stated earlier, starting batteries are not good for deep cycling, so don't let them run down too much. A few deep cycles and they won't recharge fully again...

oldMan99

Oldman's Rigmaster does indeed fit the original poster's question of powering the home from the deuce. I just got a house way out in the country, this looks like a great idea for my A3. One question, where would you mount such a unit? In the bed?

Thanks Oldman. If I get farther into this project next summer, I will post.

As always great ideas from steelsoldiers. Merry Christmas guys.
It is really designed/intended to be frame mounted, but you could mount it in the bed if you wanted to or as a last resort if no other suitable place was found.

I read one post that somebody said it could go where the pioneer rack was. I'm pretty sure you could remove the spare tire and mount it there and then bed mount the spare. I would rather have the spare in the bed than the Rigmaster. If shifting cargo hit the tire, no big deal. I think it would look better also. You might have space on the passenger side in front of the tandems. On the other hand, if your one of those guys that likes to take your truck scuba diving/swimming/serious mudding then bed mounting would likely be much better.

If you do press forward with this, please do post some pics and info about it!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Like stated earlier, starting batteries are not good for deep cycling, so don't let them run down too much. A few deep cycles and they won't recharge fully again...
I can't stress that enough. If you do plan to run this route of an inverter. You should also setup a bank of deep cycle batts with an isolator upstream to feed the inverter from. Thinking back though things, and now how to do it "right". You're probably better served getting a genset.

Pappas

Sir:
First order of business.....

WELCOME to SS :-D

Second order of buisness and the CARDINAL RULE around here......

nopics

Thanks
Pics!
Mostly when running genset we use the 24v inverter mounted beneath the passenger seat. it looks tight and right. like its supposed to be there, and the inverter and 1.5 can put out pretty much all the 110 we need> occasionally use batteries and inverter , but intermittently.

Attachments

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to find a new 24volt, 1000 watt, pure sine wave inverter for my Duece on the E place for $170 shipped.

I plan on mounting it under or behind the pax seat to keep the cable runs as short as possible.

Since I also have an 18k electric WARN winch, I'm going to install the 160 amp Leece-Neville alternator that I have laying around.

HTH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks