• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The DMV is convinced my M1031 is a Dodge?

Chief_919

That is because the way the VIN's are set upin DMV databases the trucks get listed as a D30 Postal unit.

Evidently whoever set up the DMV VIN system assumed all trucks purchased by the .gov would be for the post office, so any truck with a VIN coded as a Federal purchase automatically gets tagged as a postal unit.

waayfast

My Chevy G-506 1 1/2 ton is officially titled as a DODGE by the state! I get it running/driving ,the hood numbers will read "Bureaucratic Snafu" and the bumper numbers will be "4-F G-506"

idM1028

Seems the insurance company thinks my M1028 is a S10. Seems the truck is too old for tne VIN to register with the systems. I told them it was an “86 K30” when I set it up. Not sure how they came up with “S10.”

Bulldog 4

In all my years of dealing with the DMV I have learned that it's just like Forest Gump said, "You never know what you're gonna get."

Bulldog 4

That sounds like a good topic to discuss with your insurance agent. Like every other thing to do with green iron, most insurance agents will have to be schooled on what it is.

gerrykan

Regarding MV's, I always have the Insurance agent scan and fax or email a picture of the vehicle to the home office for approval(so they know exactly what they are insuring) before the policy is wrote.

That is on advice from friends in the insurance business. If the Company has an out(such as thinking they are insuring an S-10 when it is really a 5/4-ton truck) they will likely play that card in the case of a serious accident.

Bulldog 4

That is very good advice. I had a friend who bought a used Harley chopper built by Orange County Choppers and once owned by Paul Jr himself. This bike is priceless but the DMV wanted to title it as a 1952 Harley.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The registration doesn't really matter. The insurance is another story. They are nice as can be as long as you send in your payments and don't have an accident. One serious accident and they can turn into your worst enemy. It doesn't really matter if your local agent says it will never happen. It will be out of his hands and into the hands of big corporate lawyers.

You better make sure the insurance company knows exactly what they are insuring. They won't balk at a fender bender but if you find yourself in a accident that cost 10s of thousands of dollars, they will find a way out if there is one.

papercu

So what happens if you're in an accident, and the insurance adjuster sees the "Dodge" or the "S10" isn't?
Can you even have collision on a 86 model truck? If no collision or comprehensive insurance they will never see your vehicle. Wayne

BlondeGuy

I went to Register my ferret mk2/3
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312341875.669381.jpg
The DMV Commissioner is a good friend an she had to have her picture made riding in the turret.

After awhile of them trying to figure out the best way to title it. It ended up being titled and registered as a Jeep.

Another guy was registering his Duece 1/2 at the same time.

Another guy registered another ferret/jeep later the same afternoon.

My ferret makes for a funny looking jeep.

mckeeranger

Can you even have collision on a 86 model truck? If no collision or comprehensive insurance they will never see your vehicle. Wayne
It's like M16ty is saying, if you are in an accident that is going to cost 10s or 100s of thousands of $ in liability, they're going to see your vehicle. The adjusters on both sides are going to see it, and the lawyers on both sides are going to see it.

papercu

they're going to see your vehicle. The adjusters on both sides are going to see it, and the lawyers on both sides are going to see it.
If you just carry Liability your adjuster will not need to see your vehicle, because they have no interest in it. Adjusters just fixed cost to repair.
If accident is found not to be your fault you would try to recover your loss in Small Claim.
If someone is hurt or killed and lawyers are involved that is different that we are talking about.
Collision Coverage – This coverage is subject to a deductible and covers damages caused to your own vehicle in a collision. Like homeowners insurance, this coverage is generally required if you have a loan on the vehicle. When looking at collision coverage keep in mind the actual value of the vehicle that is being insured. Older used vehicles may have little or no use for collision coverage.

Last edited: