• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Ever so common "Do I need a CDL" thread

Mach Style

Id like to keep this a simple thread as I know that every state is different. I also understand the all the M939's clock in with a GVW of 26,000 lbs and have full air breaks, But does any one in the state of ohio drive one of these with no CDL? I understand the functionality of air breaks and what to look out for, but obviously that will likely not change the fact the a CDL may still be needed. Im going to call or stop in at the BMV on Monday, but wanted to see if there was anyone with an immediate answer.

Thanks Gang~

Mach Style

skimmed through that and aced that section. Im just hoping it doesnt come down to that as getting a CDL is a very long process here in ohio. Between going through a fairly long class and taking OTR training, Plus then you need to have a CDL required truck when you go to test. kinda a sill system since you would have to buy the truck, but then you cant drive it until you get a permit.

Artisan

IMO;

Need? IMO, Absolutely.

I look at the CDL thing this way.

A good lawyer could probably convince most juries that federal law trumps
any state law, so if you did damage, property or life, and if you do
not have a CDL and current medical, they could get a conviction and go
after your assets, you stand to loose everything you own.

Sure, you can buy commercial insurance but if you wreck and you have
no CDL I believe the insurance company can say "SORRY!" Your on
your own pal!"

If your worth a few bucks and do not want to gamble w/ it just get a CDL, it is easy
as you see, you aced the air brakes section you said, now you just need
to talk the talk while doing a pre-trip inspection w/ an examiner listening
and drive the truck with them critiquing your ever last move. In my
case I was trashed 16 times for not looking in my rear view mirror THREE TIMES
in a every turn. THREE TIMES in EVERY turn! It's in the CAL Commercial DMV manual.
I still passed though.

But I still learned from it and I do look more now.
Everyone is a he man, a tough guy, I can drive anything that has wheels mentality. Well,
sure you can, but w/o theory your a liability, to yourself and others.

If getting a CDL is really hard for a guy, then a guy should not be driving these monsters
on public roads.

Mach Style

You are honestly 100% right. There is a lot more to it than "I know I can drive it" I can how ever use it as an excuse to get My CDL as that is something id like to have. I will still call the BMV about it but I will also look into the cost and process to obtaining the CDL.

quickfarms

The Ever so common "Do I need a CDL" thread

I thought the gvw was up around 37,000 lbs.

Each state interprets the federal law differently.

The problem is the federal law does not differentiate the use and goes strictly by weight.

After CA lost there federal court case the federal government now has the authority to tell the states how to interpret the law

If you want to be safe get your CDL.

It has gotten me out of a couple of situations without any ticket.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Artisan may be right, if the barrier to get a CDL is low.

But re-run that equation where you have to take a month off work and pay $5,000 out of pocket to get a CDL.

The problem isn't the capability to pass the CDL test, it's having deep enough pockets (and a willing profession) to allow you the freedom to take the test in the first place.

Each state is different. If you want to focus on Ohio, I'd edit the title to put Ohio in it.

Artisan

Regarding the cost to get a CDL.

It all revolves around YOUR ability to understand what
you are taught, and retain that information. Trying to do it
all on your own via you-tube and a buddy is possible but
you still need a good truck to take the test in. A school
provides that. And they usually have a small, single rear axle
truck w/ a short trailer which makes it even easier.

The very best route is to go to a PROFESSIONAL truck driving school.

I choose DOOTSON in Arcadia CALIF. I was ready for the DMV test after 7 paid hours.
Your Mileage WILL vary. I choose to study the CALIF. CDL Manual
on my own time, I did NOT pay for classroom time for that. I only paid
for hands on and pre-trip training. Understand that 2 years prior I got
a Class B, that I did in 9 paid hours. I should have got a class A from
jump street...just do it. So each time I did it for under $900 and at my
leasure over a two week time. You can go just on Saturdays if you want!

I was told there were SO CALIF EDISON people who were at 40+ and 50+
hours and they still were not ready. They have the money and backing
to milk it too. Some guys/gals simply drop out because they can't do
this or that...

I have a Class AM1 / PN Passenger and Tank I think it is.

SO Class A, Motorcycle, Passengers, and Trucks w/ Tanks & Air brakes.
I think if you take the test in a truck w/ an Automatic you are only good
to drive and automatic too...check me on that.

I am a WAY better operator since I went to a professional school
and I am very glad I did it.

You do need to get a current medical card every 2 years, or one year if you
have high blood pressure or another medical issue. But shouldn't you
get a check up every now and then anyways? Yep, you should... IMO.

quickfarms

Artisan may be right, if the barrier to get a CDL is low.

But re-run that equation where you have to take a month off work and pay $5,000 out of pocket to get a CDL.

The problem isn't the capability to pass the CDL test, it's having deep enough pockets (and a willing profession) to allow you the freedom to take the test in the first place.

Each state is different. If you want to focus on Ohio, I'd edit the title to put Ohio in it.
The cost can vary greatly depending on how you get your CDL

To get a class b CDL is easier than a class a.

You can do it on your own or you can go to school.

I went to school and was able to work full time. My school did not cost anything near $5,000.

Ask your employer they may pay for it, or at least help.

You need to shop around with the different schools and community colleges. Some are fixed fee and some are pay for what you want or need.

I would strongly recommend a permit prep class, either in person or on line.

If you have a friend that has a truck and a CDL that is willing to help you can cut the cost down to a couple of hundred dollars and two appointments at the DMV and a doctor visit.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WA does not allow options besides hours at a certified truck school spent in defined instruction. I could move to another state, get one, and move back. But...

WA has no "Learn it with a buddy and take a test" option. It's in their approved schools on their approved lessons or stay home.

None of the programs I looked at in this half of the state were setup for anything but M-F 9-5 instruction. Which makes sense if you want to make a career of it, or your employer is paying for your time.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdltraining.html

Looks like I could get a Class B with only 1.5 weeks off work and $3K out of pocket. But I may have trouble with a happy home saying less vacation for dad this year because he wants training that's optional for the unpopular hobby.

This all varies by state. Most states do not have a barrier to entry like WA does. When you must purchase a product from a fixed list of vendors (of which there are 2 within an hour of where I live), the cost isn't often low.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Id like to keep this a simple ............... bracks brakes breaks brakes.
Thanks Gang~
One can not get there that way. May have to start at the beginning.
You say 26 thousands of pounds to stop and can't get a break,
It is OK
Go train and get the license
Can't hurt
Every law officer in the state is waiting,
and it is not like they can't read............................

try this
http://www.dbrake.com/braking-history.php

should I push the "post" button? sure

gottaluvit

Mach, I got my cdl only a year ago in the great buckeye state and it was pretty easy. tested in gnadenhutten. he even has a school. The guy is very pro gun and very pro military! Wear something in your favor. Took the training in a w.va. school so Ohio has no rules on the schooling. Only the passing of the test. The best school in the state is in columbus. Can't remember the name but it is popular. you will need class a if you want to ever pull a trailer. It cost no more to get all the endorsements so I maxed out and even got the hazmat after homeland security clearance. I was blessed (turned bad to good) with a lay off and free school and time to take it but nonetheless you really don't need the school but I myself recommend it. I failed the airbrake part of the actual testing process twice as it is all about doing things in the right order. Heck with these trucks we can't even do the brake tests the way I was taught. There is no trailer brake knob. But the training and road time pulling that 53' trailer was precious. Gave me a lot of respect for truck drivers. I still don't work using the cdl but now that I got my truck I will be police worry free. Heck it can be like when I was an engineer and I can haul explosive even. The only extra part for the endorsements is written. 8th grade level stuff. Def wanna get class a as you never know if you will pull a trailer. If you get the cdl you will be greatful. Just gotta drink less beer if you think you might hit the road. Like none.

Jim

Mach Style

Jim. That's some solid information there. What was the classes like? Last that I looked into cdl classes, they required a 3 week over the road segment in a tractor with a 53 footer. Was that something that you still had to do?

gottaluvit

Well, I do remember you have to have so many hours road time but I cant remember how many. (The joy of taking a class; just leave details to them.) You will need the parking lot time practicing the maneuvers as the test consists of 2 out of three backing maneuvers. Straight back, parallel parking, and/or alley dock which is backing into a 90°. With all of them you can only pull forward twice. If you can back up a riding mower with a wagon behind it you can back the big boys easier. There is a difference but it's in your favor. There is more time to react but you will have to get the feel of the 5th wheel and kinda know what will happen as it is a bit different. All in all, I recommend taking a class.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]
  • A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.

Mach Style

Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]
  • A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.
Ok so I still plan to get a CDL as I think it will be a good thing to have, but according to that, it sounds that here in Ohio you do not need a CDL for a 5 ton because it is not being used for commercial business. I also find it funny that it doesn't list a requirement for a CDL if the vehicle has air breaks. Interesting...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What we have here are 2 separate but related questions. The first question is "do I need the knowledge that generally comes along with a CDL in order to competently operate these trucks?" The answer to that one was can certainly answer here. The answer to that is "absolutely".

The 2nd question is whether you're legally obligated to have an active CDL in order to operate these trucks. The answer to this question is more appropriately obtained from the DMV or from people who live in the same state you do.

Motorcar

answer to this question is more appropriately obtained from the DMV or from people who live in the same state you do
Yes, yes yes!

Definitions of what is "Commercial" and what a class B will cover vary from each state. Also the titled weight on an "antique" truck with a certified scale ticket can change the equation. M923A2 with super singles comes in at 22,000 lbs, under the 26,001 lbs legal limit. I know the GVWR is 10k higher, just showing there are different formulas that have been used.