• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE GREAT PUMPKIN --- Project Pumpkin Pie

SasquatchSanta

Today Soldier Number-One and I re-commissioned Area-52 for one more project --- The making of a pumpkin pie --- "The Great Pumpkin"

This is a project that has been a long time coming. Fourteen years ago I purchased a civilianized 1952 M37 that I named "The Woogie" . I named it The Woogie because it was too old and ugly to Boogie. The Woogie was bought and built for the sole purpose of running around on a 40 acre piece of water access wilderness lake property on the Canadian boarder. Since it was never intended to be driven on the road it didn't have a top or many other standard features.

A few years ago I sold the lake property and The Woogie came back to the mainland where, though it didn't have a top, was driven on the road in the summer. Over the years, I rebuilt or replaced everything mechanical imaginable including a new engine. Two years ago I completely rebuilt the front and rear axle assemblies and installed 489 gears and front and rear lockers. With the new gears I also added a new set of Denman Coyote Radials. Last year a NOS transfer case and transmission rounded out a "like new" truck. The only problem was --- the body and frame was in sad shape from previous years of salt damage. Although The Woogie looks good, it's in bad shape body and chassis wise.

The plot thickens. Twelve years ago I bought a 1953 orange M37 that has an excellent body and chassis from John Bizal at Midwest Military. Because of it's color, John referred to the truck as The Pumpkin. The Pumpkin sat untouched, in storage, until this summer when I sold the motor, transmission, transfer case, rear differential and winch back to John. I sold the components because I decided to remove all the new and rebuilt mechanical components from The Woogie and install them in The Pumpkin. Because I'm building what amounts to an underpowered truck to drive on the road, I elected to ditch the 300+ pound winch. Project Pumpkin Pie started today. I estimate it's going to take ten working days to complete --- it should be completely de-bugged by Thanksgiving.

Attached are pictures of each truck. The first day started out by loading The Pumpkin on my trailer for a 5-mile ride to Area 52. A thorough scrubbing of 15 years of dust and grime took most of the day. Day-one ended with The Pumpjin on the hoist and the front axle assembly on the floor. Tomorrow we bring The Woogie to Area 52 where the process will get underway. Please note the titles on the attached pictures. I hope I've loaded the pictures in the correct sequence. If not --- view them backwards for the story.

More to follow.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

54 Reo wrote:

So what is the story on the cool Dodge (yellow 4 door)?
That, is my daily driver and the best truck I've ever owned. When I quit my corporate job several years ago I bought the crew cab (The Goose) for $1,300.00 and have been driving it for going on ten years. Before serving a 20 year stint with the Deering North Dakota fire department it was a SAC B-52 crew (scramble) truck on Minont AFB. It's a 1968 W-200 Power Wagon with a slant-six. It had 86,000 miles on it when I bought it and so far I've put 52,000 on it. It's still sound mechanically but the body and doors are about to fall off the frame. I'm going to hate to see it go but as soon as the Pumpkin is finished the crew-cab will go. I'm going to miss the vent windows.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I LOVE those crewcab Dodges.

Here are pictures of my buddy's 1964 W200 Crewcab. It is an ex-US Navy truck. Slant 6, 4 speed, 4WD. The Navy really beat the snot out of it, even managing to flip it. They cut the old roof off (you can see road rash on top of the dash frame) and welded another roof on and put later model doors on it (you can see it doesn't have the old school refrigerator handles on it, it has the new push button style).

I love the old truck and Jim has offered it to me a few times but I do not have anywhere to store it right now and as long as it is with him, it is indoors. I don't know what I'd ever do with it, I think my OCD would force me to replace the cab and these cabs aren't easy to come by.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/clinto1/64 W200 USN Dodge Crewcab/

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: THE GREAT PUMPKIN --- Project Pumpkin Pie

SasquatchSanta said:
That, is my daily driver and the best truck I've ever owned. When I quit my corporate job several years ago I bought the crew cab (The Goose) for $1,300.00 and have been driving it for going on ten years. Before serving a 20 year stint with the Deering North Dakota fire department it was a SAC B-52 crew (scramble) truck on Minont AFB. It's a 1968 W-200 Power Wagon with a slant-six. It had 86,000 miles on it when I bought it and so far I've put 52,000 on it. It's still sound mechanically but the body and doors are about to fall off the frame. I'm going to hate to see it go but as soon as the Pumpkin is finished the crew-cab will go. I'm going to miss the vent windows.
Make sure you part out what you don't want off of it - or advertise it on dodgepowerwagon.com. There is a big following for 60s era Power Wagons now, even parts trucks command good money.

This orange M37 is pretty darn cool. Please add more photos as you continue your project...

SasquatchSanta

Day-Two

Today, soldier number-one and soldier number-two (The Dos Grunts) were at it again. The day started by driving the Woogie (donor truck) to Area-52. It was a difficult "last ride". I've had this truck for 14 years and I felt I was taking a faithful old dog to the vet to be put down,

Upon arriving at Area-52 we proceeded to remove the freshly rebuilt front axle assembly from the Woogie and then installed it in the Pumpkin. We then installed the old axle assembly that was removed from the Pumpkin in the Woogie.

When I left Area-52 this evening I hated to leave the Woogie behind. It's been with me a long time. It's a shame the way the road salt attacks these old vehicles.

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Lotta Project

Major work you got going on there Ernie, so when your thru, it'll be one M-37?
I'm looking for a straight front bed panel, are you going to have a spare one?

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Lotta Project

Interesting project! Cant wait to see what the finished result goin to be. Is the pumpkin staying orange or getting painted?

SasquatchSanta

RE: Lotta Project

Alredneck Wrote:

Is the pumpkin staying orange or getting painted?
No ... Like a lot of us old veterans, the Pumpkin served honorably and now has it's DD-214. Although it will always be an old soldier at heart, it now wears civilian clothes.

BUT --- on Parade-Day it will still flies the colors and wears it's ribbons

SasquatchSanta

Hello,

We've been putting in some long days on the Pumpkin Project. Some nights when I get home I'm too tired to wiggle let alone post therfore I'm playing catch up today. Hopefully I'll get this post and attachments right with the new site and all.

From a time standpoint the detail work is killing what I had hoped to be a two week project. Body work and painting it taking longer than planned. Because of the impending winter and the fact that I want to start driving this truck I've elected to rattle-can paint it. Doing so allows it to be preped and painted a panel at a time. Next summer I plan to use my sandblaster to properly re-do the paint. In the meantime what I'm now doing will give protection until that time comes.

This week we buttoned up with rear diffeential. I'm running 489 gears and Richmond Lock Right lockers front and rear. I hope installing the lockers on both the front and rear wasn't a mistake.

The NOS transfer case is insalled and the brakes completely rebuilt.

This coming week we will install the motor. before doing so, a freshly milled (.040) civilian head will be installed. I also hope to get the re-wireing project completed and the heater installed. We're removing the heater from my old crew cab and installing it in the Pumpkin.

Frank (Soldier Number-One) and I work during the day and I stay late and do body work. I hope to finish the body work and painting this week. The first part of the following week is reserved for installing all new cab insullation and re-jetting the carb.

I'm a little reluctant to post this. I hope, in doing so that I'm not being out of line. While there is a section on the forum for Deuce Hot Rodding there is non in the M37 section. The fact that this truck has been civilianized AND the orange color may turn some members off. I'll only say that I've always tried to contribute content by sharing what I'm learning so others may benefit from it.

Attachments

nattieleather

I don't like it one bit.....because I am super jelous of your work shop... :) 2 car garage with a leaky roof....

Anyway...the truck looks good! I have no problem with your modifications and think you've got a great looking truck and project there.

SasquatchSanta

Thank you nattieleather but the shop isn't mine --- don't I wish it was.

The owner is a good friend and I get very reasonable usage rates.

I made a 100 mile round trip run to Hibbing MN in my old crew cab this weekend to get some more paint and I like to froze my rear end off. The crew cab is so rusted out that you can throw a duck through the floorboard at 30 miles per hour and never lose a feather. Rather breezy (and cold) to say the least. I NEED to get the Pumpkin driveable - more pics will follow soon.

SasquatchSanta

We're on day 20 of the "Pumpkin Project" and I figure we've got five more days to go. It should be motor pool ready by next Tuesday. I've been working seven days a week since the project started on 31 Oct. Tomorrow the battery box, gauges and custom cargo cover go on. The following four days will be spent wireing and finishing the body work and painting.

I've elected to stop posting daily pictures for fear that this vehicle is simply too far out of line with the SS site. I probably shouldn't have started this thread in the first place but since I did I feel an explanition is in order.

The truck I'm building has been highly civilianized. I needed a daily driver to replace the crew cab so I elected to build something that would be dependable, would handle Minnesota winters and was easy to work on. When finished, I'll basically have a new truck BUT --- it is civilianized, has a "little" crome on it and is painted blaze orange with black seats. I personally think it looks great but since it's color could end it up on a SS ugly truck list I think I'll refrain from posting any more pictures.

I plan on doing a video of the Orr MN Christmas parade that will be posted on You Tube. As usual, I'm hauling Santa and Mrs Claus in the Deuce and Frank, Soldier Number One, will be driving the Orange M-37. I'll post a You Tube link.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a heater vent scoop that fits on the drivers side M35 side hood panel. I need the scoop for the M-37 heater installation.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SasquatchSanta sez,
I've elected to stop posting daily pictures for fear that this vehicle is simply too far out of line with the SS site. I probably shouldn't have started this thread in the first place but since I did I feel an explanition is in order.

Please don't cut us off now! I am very interested in this project. If you think modified vehicles are not welcome here, your wrong, just look at the MadMax CUCV thread going on right now and how many people are watching that abomination of an MV!(maybe we need a modified forum for each type of MV?) Heck, are you adding heated leather seats, a big boomin' system, A/C, LEDs, modern engine, etc... It is every owners right to do what they want with their vehicles. This site is a great place for MV owners of all types to join and share. Heck, you have a red, dual stacked, bobbed deuce and nobody gives you any grief over that, so why would anyone give you any on this orange M37? I beg you, continue feeding us the outcome of your project. It's cool.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks