• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

Finally got a chance to do some work today. First, I finished removing all the rivets on the rear shackles as I want to try and do as much as I can now BEFORE doing the lift. I went ahead and drilled out the stock shackles and frame for the 7/16 bolts that the shackle flip will use. I welded together a piece of 1/8 pipe and a -6 female to male adapter that will hold down the rear brake line. I welded on the tabs for the flex lines for the calipers. Finally, I removed the PTO and related parts and put a coat of primer on the rear axle.

Attachments

albersondh

God killed 2 baby seals and the last unicorn when you **** canned that box... He told me that as punishment you must give all that PTO junk to me. What about all the junk attached to the IP that regulates RPM with PTO engaugment, yea he says give me that shat too.

Thats some burly running gear for little 37's, steal the 42's from your YJ and put them where they belong haha. You have taken it this far might as well link at as well. Nice work, got any re-power plans?

tvguy

Thats some burly running gear for little 37's, steal the 42's from your YJ and put them where they belong haha. You have taken it this far might as well link at as well. Nice work, got any re-power plans?
This one will be more of a driver than a wheeler so 37's will be the biggest tire I'll run. I'm gonna run the 6.2 till it dies then we'll see.

Making sure i got it right

Dana 70HD rear (from a mid 80's dually) with SRW hubs
I just cut off the backing plate tabs and ground them down smooth . . . I really didn't take that much material off.

While the axle tubes are 4" they neck down closer to 3.5" towards the spindles, so I used the 3.5" weld-on brackets from Ruff Stuff Specialties and they worked fine.
So the SRW hubs were from another D70HD or from ....? A 3.5" axel tube diameter D70? From a 10.5" 14FF?

Was wondering if there were any of those combo disc/drum hubs that would work and provide drum e-brakes.

With your disc conversion, do you have e-brake or are you using a hydraulic or driveshaft brake?

tvguy

So the SRW hubs were from another D70HD or from ....? A 3.5" axel tube diameter D70? From a 10.5" 14FF?

Was wondering if there were any of those combo disc/drum hubs that would work and provide drum e-brakes.

With your disc conversion, do you have e-brake or are you using a hydraulic or driveshaft brake?
Sorry for the delayed response . . . work has been keeping me too busy.

The SRW hubs were from a 14-bolt. The Dana 70, Dana 70HD and 14-bolt hubs are all interchangeable. The Dana 70HD has 4" axle tubes, they just neck down to around 3.5" towards the spindle.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the e-brake yet. I may end up running Eldorado calipers but that's a project for another day!

tvguy

I'm hoping to get back on the truck this weekend. My goal is to get the rear axle swap done. The only thing I have left on the axle is to bend the brake hardlines. I removed the shocks tonight and disconnected the brakes and e-brakes to try and get a head start on the swap. I also bought the U-bolts too . . . 5/8" x 4" x 12" grade 8.

Attachments

86m1028

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the e-brake yet. I may end up running Eldorado calipers but that's a project for another day!

The eldorado calipers dont work for ****.

Check out the driveshaft brakes.

Nice build btw, keep the pics coming.

Last edited:

tvguy

Did I miss it or do you still have the stock running gear available? if so want to sell it??
nice built up!! sure will look good when your done
Vinny
The stock running gear is still in the truck . . . for now . . . hopefully coming out SOON! I'm definately interested in selling the 14-bolt and may let the front 60 go as well. PM me if you're interested.

Hammer

I did the same 70HD with srw hubs a few years ago, but never got around to putting rear brakes on it.
What rotors/calipers did you use? And which part number for that brackets?
I finally got some shop space again, and it's time for me to put rear brakes on that sucker.

tvguy

I had one pleasant surprise and two not so pleasant tonight . . .

The good is that I had been soaking the ubolts for a while with PB Blaster. I was surprised when I was able to get them off with the impact. I thought for sure I was gonna have to cut them off.

The bad . . . I used the Dana 60 on my Jeep as a template to plumb the brakes on my 70HD. Unfortunately, my Jeep is 4-linked and I didn't account for the ubolts on the truck. I'm probably going to have to cut off the tabs I welded on for the flex lines and reposition them. Not a big deal, just more frustrating that I didn't take that into account. The other issue is that the center pins that came with the Offroad Design Zero Rates are too short for the heavy duty M1031 springs. There's a local spring shop where I bought the ubolts so hopefully they'll have some longer ones.

I was by myself tonight so I had to get creative to move everything around . . .

Attachments

Last edited:

tvguy

I did the same 70HD with srw hubs a few years ago, but never got around to putting rear brakes on it.
What rotors/calipers did you use? And which part number for that brackets?
I finally got some shop space again, and it's time for me to put rear brakes on that sucker.
I don't remember the application but I still have the boxes . . . they're Raybestos part# 5014.

These are the brackets . . . Weld On Disk Brake Bracket 3.5" Axle - RuffStuff Specialties

tvguy

I got the shackle flip and Super Shackles installed. I also got the stock leaf spring bushings out . . . I tried a couple of different methods but ended up settling on the press as that seemed to be the easiest. I did run into a couple more problems though . . .

1. I had read somewhere that the leaf spings used 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" bushings so that's what I ordered. Mine were both 1 3/4". I'm going to run down to Summit in the morning and pick up another set of 1 3/4".

2. Because the M1031 spring pack is so thick I couldn't use the bolts supplied with the zero rates. I'm gonna have to pick up some 5" or 5 1/2" bolts tomorrow too.

Attachments

tvguy

I drove down to Summit this morning to get the leaf spring bushings then stopped by a hardware store for some 5 1/2" bolts. I was hoping my driveshaft would still work with me moving the 70HD back 1 1/2", but it's going to have to be shortened. My homemade "axle cradle" came in handy . . .

Attachments

I was hoping my driveshaft would still work with me moving the 70HD back 1 1/2", but it's going to have to be shortened
Was the move backward part of a longer spring swap? I would have thought that the shackle flip would have moved it forward if anything...

Did you ever look at mounting the shackle flip brackets on the opposite sides? Was wondering how long that would allow springs to be - that was how I was orginally thinking of moving the axels back to compensate for larger tires without having to shorten the tanks etc.