• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

I got the axle buttoned up today . . . shafts installed and filled with gear oil and stuck the stock tires and wheels back on for now. I still need to get the brakes plumbed but at least I could move it out of the driveway.

Attachments

Last edited:

tvguy

Was the move backward part of a longer spring swap? I would have thought that the shackle flip would have moved it forward if anything...

Did you ever look at mounting the shackle flip brackets on the opposite sides? Was wondering how long that would allow springs to be - that was how I was orginally thinking of moving the axels back to compensate for larger tires without having to shorten the tanks etc.

I reused the original springs. The Dana 70HD has a deeper "snout" than the 14-bolt . . . I was hoping moving the axle back would allow me to reuse the original driveshaft but I'm still gonna have to take out a few inches.

No, never thought about mounting the shackle flip any other way.

tvguy

I had a little time after work today so I thought I'd get the rear shocks installed. Unfortunately, the passenger side shock won't fit. I'm not sure if it's because I moved the axle back an 1 1/2" or what the issue is, but the shock body binds on the axle. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it yet . . . I may end up moving the upper shock mount back. That will mean cutting more of the exhaust off but it's going to have to be redone anyway. I could also weld some shock mounts on top of axle too. I'll look at it some more this weekend and figure something out.

tvguy

Did a little more work on the rear this weekend: made a removable "crossmember" for the upper shock mount . . . probably a little overkill but what the heck. I cut the exhaust off just after the muffler to make way for the brake lines so I had to fab up a mount for the passenger side muffler. I also modified the factory brake line mount for the new setup. I'm going to bend up the hard brake lines this week and bleed the brakes and call the rear done for now.

Attachments

tvguy

Ever since I removed the box I've been curious about this piece of plugged tubing coming off the fuel tank (see arrow). I noticed a wet spot under it this weekend so I removed it and diesel came pouring out . . . I'm not even sure how that's possible since it comes off the top of the tank? I ended up putting a new piece of tubing on it to seal it up but I'd like to know what it does . . . surely it didn't come that way?

Attachments

dstang97

It did come that way. There was a thread about it a couple months back and it probably uses the same sending unit as a gas job so they just plugged it at the factory.

rickf

That is your tank drain. I like how in all of your fabrication you are not welding to the frame, very smart.[thumbzup] What is the connection in the center of the rear shock mounting?

Rick

Ever since I removed the box I've been curious about this piece of plugged tubing coming off the fuel tank (see arrow). I noticed a wet spot under it this weekend so I removed it and diesel came pouring out . . . I'm not even sure how that's possible since it comes off the top of the tank? I ended up putting a new piece of tubing on it to seal it up but I'd like to know what it does . . . surely it didn't come that way?

tvguy

Got all the brake lines bent up and everything plumbed and bled. I welded on the tailpipes to keep the exhaust off the brake line and axle vent. I'll probably redo it later but for now it will work. I'm calling the rear "done" and moving on to the front.

Attachments

tvguy

I had a little time this weekend, but not enough to start tearing the front end down. I did go ahead and remove the front driveshaft, shocks and sway bar though just to get that out of the way. I also did the Doghead starter relay mod.

Attachments

Last edited: