• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

This was an old school Warn bumper that was originally on a Ford truck. I had to make the brackets to mount it on the CUCV.

tvguy

I'm starting the alternator rebuild. Evidently the rebuilt kit comes with a new style capacitor. I'm assuming this is the way it mounts?Alt 1.jpgimg_000023.jpg

tvguy

Actually I end up getting some kind of bug so I really haven't done anything with the alternator, so thanks for the confirmation!

tvguy

Well the good news is that I finally got the alternator completely rebuilt. The bad news is that when I installed it I could tell from the Gen2 light glowing red that it wasn't working. ****! I know when it's time to turn something over to a professional so I took it to a rebuild shop today to have them take a look at it. It took the guy a while to figure it out but evidently one of the 3 stator wires was touching the rectifier bridge. It was an easy fix and only cost me $20 so now I should be good to go. img_000024.jpg

Skinny

Nonsense! That is something simple that can be overlooked. I almost did the same exact thing last weekend. I was looking at how close they are and saw one almost touching. I applied a slight upwards tug to make sure they are isolated. Not much room in that casing. Look at how close the ground strap is with only a tiny insulating washer...not much room for error.

tvguy

A few updates:

Installed new LED lights all around, including a new LED specific blinker.

After installing the LED's I noticed that the back-up lights weren't working. So I did some research and found out about the switch at the base of the column. I adjusted it and now the back-ups are working.

My shift indicator wasn't working properly. I pulled the dash apart and found that the tab at the base of the gauge cluster was broken. I cut the remainder of the tab off and drilled a small hole. I put a roll pin in a large rivet and riveted it in. This essentially replaced the broken piece and gave the cable a place to ride (I should have taken a picture as it would be easier to show than explain). After cleaning all the gunk out of the indicator mechanism and relubricating everything, it works great now.

All part of owning a 27 year old truck!

nyoffroad

"My shift indicator wasn't working properly. I pulled the dash apart and found that the tab at the base of the gauge cluster was broken. I cut the remainder of the tab off and drilled a small hole. I put a roll pin in a large rivet and riveted it in. This essentially replaced the broken piece and gave the cable a place to ride (I should have taken a picture as it would be easier to show than explain). After cleaning all the gunk out of the indicator mechanism and relubricating everything, it works great now."
I've been dealing with the same problem and wondered how to "fix" it! Thanks for the great idea! I can't believe I sat here and read thru all 32 pages, that says alot about your truck and how you've gone about the build.

56powerwagon

Did you order your LED's from LMC truck or make some of your own? Which lights did you do? maybe some pics at dusk or maybe I will just drive by one day and see for myself. Did you wire a brake controller for your gooseneck or not gonna worry about it?
do you think a 8-12k winch would mount in between the frame behind the bumper kind of set up?
Nice build by the way. Nice to have friends with big toys with cranes :grin:

tvguy

Did you order your LED's from LMC truck or make some of your own? Which lights did you do? maybe some pics at dusk or maybe I will just drive by one day and see for myself. Did you wire a brake controller for your gooseneck or not gonna worry about it?
do you think a 8-12k winch would mount in between the frame behind the bumper kind of set up?
Nice build by the way. Nice to have friends with big toys with cranes :grin:
I just replaced all the bulbs with LED's from superbrightleds.com.

No brake controller . . . I don't plan on towing anything too heavy.

On the winch, are you talking about in the front or rear? If front, I've seen a few guys mount the smaller winches between the frame rails, but I haven't done it.

Thanks, stop by and take a look at the led's . . . I like 'em.

tvguy

It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd add a few updates. My starter was beginning to give me problems so I replaced it with a new gear reduction unit which works great. I did have to get a new support bracket from from the local dealership but they had it in stock so no issues.

I started getting a bit of surging at idle so I'm guessing I've got a leak somewhere. I had already put on a spin-on fuel filter and now I'm in the process of replacing the fuel pump and all of the rubber fuel lines. I'm hoping that solves the problem.

Sadly, once she's running great again I'm going to have to put her up for sale. My work situation has changed and I'm likely going to have to move in the near future so some of the toys have to go. If you're interested look for an ad in the classifieds coming soon . . . :(

86m1028

It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd add a few updates. My starter was beginning to give me problems so I replaced it with a new gear reduction unit which works great. I did have to get a new support bracket from from the local dealership but they had it in stock so no issues.

I started getting a bit of surging at idle so I'm guessing I've got a leak somewhere. I had already put on a spin-on fuel filter and now I'm in the process of replacing the fuel pump and all of the rubber fuel lines. I'm hoping that solves the problem.

Sadly, once she's running great again I'm going to have to put her up for sale. My work situation has changed and I'm likely going to have to move in the near future so some of the toys have to go. If you're interested look for an ad in the classifieds coming soon . . . :(
Wow, hate to hear you selling it but I do understand.
I followed your build.
Please pm me a link to your for sale post.

Thanks & glws

tvguy

I read a few posts where people were talking about what a PITA it is to change the fuel pump. Holy Smoke they weren't kidding! It fought me every step of the way! But at least it's done. I hope to re-prime the system tomorrow if it doesn't rain and see if I've found my problem.

jets1959

Wow, enjoyed this tread! All of your hard work! Sorry you have to sell it! Wish I had the money! Take care and hope things get better for you!

Glockfan

What an awesome thread! Thanks for taking the time to detail every step of your build. I am certianly more educated now and inspired to do much of the same to my truck. Not trying to revive this thread but really wanted to express my thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks