• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M983 HEMTT tractor is coming along

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a mighty handsome tractor. The three color camo is going to spruce it up even more. That fresh DD N.I.B. is also very impressive.

I have always loved the HEMTT. I first saw them in a defense contractor magazine. When I got to active duty station at Ft. Hood I was surprised to see both the cargo and tanker variant assigned to the unit. I rode in them once or twice...what a hoot!

I always thought the little window was to wave and smile at the brave German drivers through their sunroofs who dared to slip beneath your front axle.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a mighty handsome tractor. The three color camo is going to spruce it up even more. That fresh DD N.I.B. is also very impressive.

I have always loved the HEMTT. I first saw them in a defense contractor magazine. When I got to active duty station at Ft. Hood I was surprised to see both the cargo and tanker variant assigned to the unit. I rode in them once or twice...what a hoot!

I always thought the little window was to wave and smile at the brave German drivers through their sunroofs who dared to slip beneath your front axle.
Thanks for all of the kind words.

James and others, I can guess what the window is for...other than the reasons listed...and I would have guessed as MYOTHERSANM1 has guessed...the window allows you to see the face on the driver as you roll over his car.

I have not figured out what I will do with the HEMTT. I had figured it would be part of the collection for a while, but I am getting the itch for another project. We'll see...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics Bruce!
When it comes to my "MV addiction", like Bruce, I know I am very fortunate to have a very understanding wife.

[thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering the status of that truck. Nice to see its running. Is it getting painted here in FL or NC?

emr

Bruce, Have u made it to the MTA show yet ? Would U be interested in bringing maybe the HEMTT ? the display team newmvguy Scott and myself would like to offer a personal invite, and would Love for U to come on up... Thanks !!!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering the status of that truck. Nice to see its running. Is it getting painted here in FL or NC?
Kenny, it is scheduled to be shipped up to NC within the next month. Feel free to check the truck out if you get up near Tommy (its at his place in FL). Heck, feel free to drive it!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, Have u made it to the MTA show yet ? Would U be interested in bringing maybe the HEMTT ? the display team newmvguy Scott and myself would like to offer a personal invite, and would Love for U to come on up... Thanks !!!!
Thanks for the invite, Randy. I have never been to the MTA show, but I have heard great things from Bill Peasless and C'Dub (before last summer). I would like to make it up sometime, but I don't think this year will work because I don't expect it will be painted before April or so.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, it is scheduled to be shipped up to NC within the next month. Feel free to check the truck out if you get up near Tommy (its at his place in FL). Heck, feel free to drive it!
Drive it??? I wished I were going closer. I'd jump at the chance to drive it, even to NC! Work seems to always get in the way.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously, Kenny, if you can get up to Tommy's...PLEASE...drive it. I'd love to put some "shake down" mileage on it before it gets painted!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bruce you own the trailer for that rig? and how many hemtts you have right now?
No, I do not own the trailer that is for my tractor. My tractor is a 1985 vintage truck. It was designed exclusively to haul the Patriot missile. The tractor that supported the Patriot missile had a knuckleboom. My truck is plumbed for it, but never had it. My truck does not have a rear winch (it has a mid-ships winch) and could not really haul an M870 trailer (or related variant).

I only have the one HEMTT now. I had an M977 cargo, but that truck went to a guy in KY about three years back. If anyone is really after a HEMTT, I am not sure what I am going to do with the M983. I had wanted to keep it, but a few other truck projects, in addition to the itch to find more projects, may lead me to part with it. I am not sure. I could keep it and have it for years...or...not sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks