• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The rebuild of the M37 begins!

pwrwagonfire

Good luck! Tight deadline, but with a decent dry place inside to work on it you should be able to do it...wish I had that!
Lucky on the stuck bolts...I'd get nervous, something HAS to go wrong :lol:

Side note: you are the only other M37 which I have seen with the SAME fuel pump as I have on mine...

98taco3

Another nights progress! Got the engine and transmission out tonight and the engine partially ripped down. Pulled the head, manifolds, and valve covers and didnt find anything alarming. No ridge in the cylinders but they are really glazed. Valve guides are shot too. Heres some pictures of tonights progress, tomorrow the cab and transfer case comes out. Maybe the tank and steel lines if i feel like it :D Still no stuck bolts lol rofl

Attachments

98taco3

Good luck! Tight deadline, but with a decent dry place inside to work on it you should be able to do it...wish I had that!
Lucky on the stuck bolts...I'd get nervous, something HAS to go wrong :lol:

Side note: you are the only other M37 which I have seen with the SAME fuel pump as I have on mine...

I got it from napa a year ago or so. I ended up having to go to an electric pump because the smaller diaphram on the napa pump wasnt pulling enough vacuum to pull fuel from the tank for some reason. An electric pump fixed it right up. Ive got a military mechanical pump now so it will go on when i build the engine...

Bill W

Looks like your missing ( factory installed) engine lifting plate that mounts on the head near the oil filter,makes going back in/out easier being its mounted right on the center gravity of the engine

Attachments

Last edited:

majorhitt

98taco3 has good advice. However there are others that are reasonable to deal with. Vintage Power Wagons, Ab Linn, Adirondack Dodge parts,and even at times Memphis Equipment. Price, experience, distance all come into play.

bgates

M37

I finished my M37's frame off, but it took me 18 months. I hope you have a lot of time with your short timeline.

Parts - I got a lot of my parts off ebay and did very well, but be very careful of AB Linn. I bought a lot of seals for several trucks and all were hard as a rock. I bought the vertical wipers for the side windows to the windshield from him and they were both for the right side. When I told him what they were he blew up and blocked me from his site. Be Careful.
John Bizal at Midwest Military can get you most anything you need at a fair price.

Good luck. I'm anxious to see how your resto goes.

98taco3

well i took a night or two off but i have the engine torn down and ready to go to the machine shop. I didnt find much alarming except for a bunch of broken piston rings. At least one per hole. and all the bearings were completely down to coppers. No ridge in the cylinder walls so it must have been rebuilt at some point not to long ago. Looks like i caught it at the exact right time, no damage to speak of and looks like i might just get away with a dip, honing and reassembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks