• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The rebuild of the M37 begins!

98taco3

Heard back from the machine shop today. The engine is bored .040 over and the cylinders do not need to be bored any farther. They are straight and well within tolerance. Crank journals are .020 down and will be fine with just a polish. Looks like i was loosing all my compression through the valves, it needs new valves, seats and guides. Im gonna go up there and talk to the machinist, i got quoted $900 bucks for the job which seems awful steep to me. Ive had 3 times the work done for the same price recently. That is also at least double what other shops quoted when i described what it needed. Its possible they quoted to reassemble the engine which i want to do myself, gonna have to go find out! Figured id try out another local machine shop and maybe it might have bit me in the behind this go around...

1995USAFRetE6

Good news... but... Ouch! Yep, does sound a little high and hope you can work something out. It does sound like you are making good overall progress though, what is your next step after the engine?

zout

That is great news on the machining of the bores 98 - nice when they do not have to take more out of it.

The head cost seems a little steep - they must have a high labor rate - or low labor rate and just take longer to do the job !! :cookoo:

That pics of Bills makes it look like the engine is floating in air like a UFO.

Great watching the progress and reading - staying tuned

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Project! The rebuilder before you must have used plenty of "Never Sieze" on those bolts! My project has been a great place to hang coats for the past 12 months. I would go to the garage and admire the bare frame, waiting for someone to start working on her. It felt good to begin work again last month. Maybe done by fall????

If it ain't welded on or put together with locktite, smear it with "Never Sieze"..........

jollyroger

Hey 98Taco. If you come by the MVCC meeting Saturday morning in Erie I can proly scare up an engine lift ring for ya. The meeting is gonna be at the shop where the MVCC Weasel is being restored. 1030 hrs. Get on MVCConline.org for the meeting location details. Let me know if you'll be there so I can bring the lift ring for ya. Good Job on the M-37 BTW. It's gonna be sweet.

Last edited:

98taco3

Hey 98Taco. If you come by the MVCC meeting Saturday morning in Erie I can proly scare up an engine lift ring for ya. The meeting is gonna be at the shop where the MVCC Weasel is being restored. 1030 hrs. Get on MVCConline.org for the meeting location details. Let me know if you'll be there so I can bring the lift ring for ya. Good Job on the M-37 BTW. It's gonna be sweet.

Im planning on being there, its up in my neck of the woods this go around so i can actually justify stopping in to the meeting. Im excited to see that weasel too!

98taco3

Just got off the phone with John at Midwest Mil. My parts are on the way! Here we go, ordered just about dang near everything i need for the truck that i cant source locally or make. Always great dealing with him, quick, easy and hes got just about everything you ever need!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job so far, I think you can make that deadline. Are you going to leave things stock, like brakes and steering. My M37 has 4 wheel discs and power steering added. To me these are great improvements over stock. I drive it everyday. I'm not a purist in any sence of the word, but understand the need to leave it alone. Wish I was close, don't mind getting greasy. If nothing else just drink a beer and watch! Good Luck

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
improvements

I agree scrapdaddy. My M37 was modified some when I got it. it still looks pretty stock, but was not going back to pure military. So, I decided that when I fixed it up, it would be as a driver. I am putting in an Isuzu 4 cyl turbo diesel, Snake River 4X4 power steering, Helitool front disc brakes with power assist and dual master cylinder and 4:89 gears. Hope to have it done by fall. Pictures are in my albums

98taco3

It will get disc brakes when i get around to it. The brakes worked just fine when i was driving it so im not going to fix what isnt broken yet. It was a running and driving truck so i really just took it down to paint the frame and replace the wiring harness easier.

Oldfart

98Taco3,
I found some new NDT 9.00x16's the other day. I faked disinterest and did not ask the price. If you are still looking for tires as per MVCC post, I can do some follow up. Ghostdriver (the actual donee of the lift ring) will need a set as the M43 comes back to life so we might be able to work a package deal. Ghostdriver's M43 is queing up for space in the Last Chance Garage to swap in the rebuilt engine and I would expect tires would follow after that. Repaint is in there somewhere as well. Hard to guess when tires will be needed for sure, but probably about the time you want to have your M37 finished.

98taco3

98Taco3,
I found some new NDT 9.00x16's the other day. I faked disinterest and did not ask the price. If you are still looking for tires as per MVCC post, I can do some follow up. Ghostdriver (the actual donee of the lift ring) will need a set as the M43 comes back to life so we might be able to work a package deal. Ghostdriver's M43 is queing up for space in the Last Chance Garage to swap in the rebuilt engine and I would expect tires would follow after that. Repaint is in there somewhere as well. Hard to guess when tires will be needed for sure, but probably about the time you want to have your M37 finished.
Id be curious to know how much they would ask for them. Ive got a "decent" set on there right now but its only a matter of time until they are toast as well. They are soft still but have cracked in a few places. Let me know what you figure out!

98taco3

Just a bit of an update. Ive got the entire truck stripped down to frame. Found alot of wiring issues that were hidden and need to be replaced. Got most of the parts i needed and my engine will be ready for reassembly by Wednesday at the latest. Still waiting on the sand blasting guy who seems to be busy as heck. And waiting to get the new bed for it so i can replace the "shrapnel" damaged bedside. Ill snap some pictures tomorrow and get em up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks