• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the Start of an (hopefully) execellent adventure

Ma Duce

Well Ryder trucks just called and my credit app was approved.

Going to rent a tractor to bring the semi-trailer back. The 915 would do it, but this morning when I fired it up to move it, the tack cable started making noise.

Besides, we will be able to make pretty good time with the commercial truck and my pick up to get to McCoy tonight and be staged for an AM recovery. Instead of a 50 MPH slog for 5 hours.

We'll use the 915 to get the trailer from my place back to Marks. It's only running about $130 + .12 cents a mile & fuel for the tractor rental, so the price for convience and peace of mind is right.

It's raining here so I hope this drive won't be to bad, but looking forward to getting there and getting some fish and beer in Sparta tonight.

The missfits have their bags packed and ready to roll.

and BTW, my oldest wanted me to take him to school in the 915 this morning, but I couldn't. Maybe next week.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck, let us know how it goes & don't forget the pics!! I hope it all goes well for you and that you are able to have a safe trip home.

Ma Duce

Breakfast at the super 8 consists of a diet pepsi.

From the Steakhouse, we ended up at the bunker owned by another GI, who happens to be in one of my old reserve units. To weird.

I have not learned how to do pics from my phone or ipad so I will have to edit and augment with pics later.

Tried to drink Sparta outnof Heineken - not sure I accomplished that.

Mark made it up late and joined us at the steakhouse and I have not laughed that hard in a very long time. Mostly at q-balls expense. Note : when CSM Rick who owns the place tells you he went in the army in 1979' don't tell him you were only 4 years old at the time. . .

Ok well here we go.

Ma Duce

ok let's try this again, as I had it 3/4 done then something happened and I lost the post. . .

On the way over to GL Mark calls with a list of things to get sicne he has looked over the trucks. He gets on post early cause he has a retired military ID.

So after last night, things are getting going. Did I mention that it was my 15th wedding anniversery and I wasn't home, but I was up in Sparta to pick up trucks with friends? Oh yea.

So we run past Wally World and get some stuff. Get over the the main gate get visitor passes and off the GL we go. Get signed in by Scott, nice guy and head out back to meet Mark and Seth. Mark is looking at the semi-trailer. We pull up to my duece and start goign to work. We know we need to plug the heater hoses to prevent coolant from pumping out the bad heater core.

The bolts we picked up we to small. Hmmm, But the extensaion from the socket set worked just fine. So we got it tied up and jump her and she fires right up. Except still leaving a bit of collant so we shut her down and tighten things up a bit. No more leaks, off we go to help Mark witht he semi-trailer.

Now we thought we were goign to have it plus two other 105 trailers, but Mark informed us that the EUCs did not come in for those so we will have the two trucks and trailer and that's all.

Over at the trailer, Mark dodn't notice the missing and broken crank on the landing gear. So after a lot of thought, a monkeying around, we get to where we can lower the trailer. It was sistting to high for the truck to hook up.

We get the truck hooked up, and fold up the landing gear. But the plug for the trailer lights, doesn't match up with trailer. Ok, did I say this was going to be an adventure.

With the semi-hooked up, we head over to get my duece. Jump it she fires up. But the low air buzzer isn't kicking off. Then we hear a leak. We chase it down to what we think is the dryer. Q-ball figures out a way to bypass the dryer, but it is going to take a fitting or two. So off to the hardware store we go. I take this time to get propane tank filled for my space heater, since the truck has no heat. and a quick trip through the drive through for a burger and back to GL we go.

Q-ball goes to work on the airline and we get the tow bar set up on the 109 van. With the airlines re-plumbed, we jump the truck and no leak. So far so good. Lets see if she will move. Off goes the brake, drop her in gear and just like she's brand new away we go.

Back up tot he 109 and Seth gets the tow bar dropped into place. Q-ball starts on the safety chains and we pull it around the yard for a test spin - no real problems.

At the gate we are waiting for Mark and we are lined up and ready, Mark has his truck and car trailer, Q-ball has my pick up. I got the duece towing the 109 and Bongi has the semi. Like a convoy of missfits, we are ready to roll.

We get to the main gate and things feel ok, out onto the highway we go.

With my foot in it I can't get above 40. Somehting isn't right and I get a bit of a shimmy from the rear of the truck. In town we pull over to top off for fuel and I let the guys now she won't do over 40 and that was all she wrote. Time to look at options.

Now my friend Bongi had helped out, but had to pick his daughter up tonight for the holiday (divorced dad). So since he could make better time, He and Q-ball headed out. Q-ball playing chase with my pick up. Meanwhile Mark and I set out to diagnos the problem. Did I mention this was going to be an adventure?

We had already lost over 3 hours tinkering with stuff. So Mark takes the duece for a spin down the street and thinks it's not shifting into 4th. But we need to drop the 109 to find out for sure. So we find a palce to drop it, and I jump back in the duce and off we go. She hits 50 MPH easy. It's not this truck that is the problem. So we arrange to stash the 109 and He will go back for it later this weekend.

My oldest son turns 12 tommorow on Thanksgiving. WE were going to go out for dinner tonight at a place of his choice, but its now after 2 and I know it will be a 5 hour ride home. Looks like no dinner tonight.

So down the road we go. Mark playing chase.

For the next 4 hours, things are relativly calm. Truck is running good, but I get a vibration that feels like it is comng from the right rear side like a wheel is out of balance. Not constant, but every so often. Steering is good and gauges look good expect the fuel guage isn't working.

So we had planned to stopp before 88 and fill up and then part ways, as that would put me less thanan hour from home. As I came up on the truck stop, I went to disenguage the GI cruise control (hand throttle) and the handle came off in my hand with it running 50 mph and 2600 RPMs.

I tried to twist it loose, no go. So I started on the brakes and got on the phone to MArk to let him know I had a potential run a way truck.

passed the truck stop and was comng up on the 88 ramp. riding the brakes, I managed to get it into 3rd, more brakes and down to second.

Since the batteries are bad, If I shut it off, we wont get it started again. Make the ramp ok and get Mark back onthe phone, he's going to run ahead and get a pair of pliers out of the tool kit and I will pull up behind him if I can get the truck stopped, pop it into neutral and he will jump up and hand me the pliers to undo the hand throttle.

As Mark pulls off, I keep working on the throttle with my right hand and finally get it to budge. and then a little bit more. Then enough to where I can get my foot on it and push it in. Ok we are good, i think. I pull over behind him and tell him we are ok and what happened.

To which he starts laughing. Did I mention this might be an adventure?

We get to a turn off point, the truck seems to be no worse for the wear and we part our ways for the day.

Once home, I applogise to my son and we re-schedule dinner for Saturday. Then I ask him if he wants to go for a ride, as I can't shut the truck off yet, and need to go get flowers and a card for the anniversery and don't want to leave the truck running in the Jewel parking lot un attended.

So off we go. I come back with flowers and a card. He says some guys in "little" pick ups drove around looking at the truck with really big eyes. I tell him if he wants I will take him and his brother to school Monday in the duece -- to which he says awsome and "you're the coolest dad at school"

Off for a couple of tripple thick shakes for the boys and on to home. Where I parked the truck, let her cool down and turned it off. I tried to start it, but she barely turned over once.

I guess I"ll be looking for black friday deals on batteries tommorow.

Since we had more wrenching to do than planned, I kinda forgot about grabbing a bunch of pics as I thought Q-ball would cause he is normally one of those types. But we only got a couple. But atleast we got those. More tommorow.

Todd

pic 1 is Q-ball wrenching on the heater lines.

pic 2 is the two trucks and me.

Pic 3 is my son Jake, and taking the duece out for some icecream.

Attachments

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking trucks and trailer! Glad you made it home... My jaw dropped when you said the handle cam e off in your hands! I believe I would have to change my drawers in that case. That's one of the main reasons I don't use the throttle cable as a "cruise control"... Even when it works, it's still too slow to disengage in an emergency....

Good luck with the batteries... I wish I were home, I couldgive you the part number off the ones I got for my deuce and they were relatively inexpensive. Dlawbrey could rattle it off the top off his head....

Glad your boy enjoys the deuce!

Ma Duce

I may be slow, but that is the last time I will use the hand throtte while driving. Also gives me the idea to keep a pair of pliers and vice grips in the cab.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be slow, but that is the last time I will use the hand throtte while driving. Also gives me the idea to keep a pair of pliers and vice grips in the cab.
You didn't read the bright yellow placard? You're going to pay for the 15th anniversary miss...... Congrats to you and yours on the 15th! Not a lot make it nowadays. We just had our 25th, Nov. 3rd.

Last edited:

Ma Duce

Well, After runningout for donuts this morning, and having my new 12 year old open his birthday presents, I am already beginning to hate these light strike laser tag guns, I went out to give the turck another once over.

Pics below

All the tires appear new. They still have the stubble on them.

The truck got a flash coat 5 gal overhaul and looks good from the outside. No real rust issue sthat I can detect so far, the door jams look good. windshield frames are about what you would expect for a 25 year old truck that sits outside.

The dirvers side rear of the cab looks like someone used a ball peen hammer on it. When the bed comes off for the bobber project, she will get a bit of clean up work done.

As noted some fo the guages need some help, and after driving it at night, I'm gonna want to do some LED lighting on the dash.

I think the rest of the coolant inthe heater core leaked out in to the cab while driving. I kept an eye on the temp while driving, and it never really got above 180 if my feeble memory serves me right.

While the bed is not a drop side, it has all the new neato tie downs and nice aluminum troop seats. It's also got the bows for the cover, but no cover.

No goodies in the tool box, and a wet TM under the seat. I did get a glad hand, that I'll use for a service air line for filling up the tires. And a wheel chock was in the bed.

Right front is a bit low this AM, I wonder if it is from the CTIS. Batteries are shot and she won't turn over, what are the good replacements and where do you get them?

And 1 patriot, what yellow placard? It ain't there. But that's no excuse.

The rear axel has a tag on it saying it was overhualed in '96. SO I would bet that is when it went through the rebuild program.

The hood is in kinda rough shape. And at this point I should note I got the A3 for the drive train and tires. I'm not in the mood to be clutching all the time in a suburban area.

But i do like the look of the A2 front end -- hood, grille, lights better. So we'll see what we do about that when we get into the bobbing project.

Wife is going to brave the mobs tommorow, so I'll get some time to do a bit more looking around, and see about chaning out the batteries.

Attachments

Mark3395

We've established Sparta HQ at Sparta Steakhouse, on the main E-W street N of I-90. Rick and Emily treated us well, with plenty of sudsy stuff in stock to accompany the steaks. By coincidence, when we decided to detach the 109A4 the next day we were straight down the street from them, and the A4 is now proudly displayed in their parking lot. Much thanks to them for their help.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We've established Sparta HQ at Sparta Steakhouse, on the main E-W street N of I-90. Rick and Emily treated us well, with plenty of sudsy stuff in stock to accompany the steaks. By coincidence, when we decided to detach the 109A4 the next day we were straight down the street from them, and the A4 is now proudly displayed in their parking lot. Much thanks to them for their help.
Dang Sir...didn't know you were THAT Mark!!:grin:
Saw your daughter at the GA Rally...she's a good troop to.

DOC wanted one of those M109A4s...said he would pay up to 1500 bucks...I told him that was probably a little too low...LOL:roll:

We are all looking forward to your next trip to the hooch Sir.

camp9

Great story, thanks for sharing. I would say 40mph would be normal pulling that truck. You would of done better once you got on some flat ground, maybe 45mph. :grin: When pulling with my A3 i just put it to the floor and go and I never worry about speeding. Is that the 109 with the tranny problems?

Ma Duce

Yea the 109 had some tranny problems, no reverse and a starter problem.

So my truck is parked on the street and the wife goes out to get somehting and a guy is stopped looking at the truck, ans asks if its for sale. She says no that I just brought it home from McCoy.

She tells me later and I say why didn't you come and get me, evertything is for sale at some point. She looked at me puzzled and I said if he would have given me $12K, I would have sold it -- more than doubled my money and got another one.

We'll see. Off to find batteries today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks