• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Umptilionth "First CUCV Thread"

Mods, ban this kid. Full of piss and vin. But, give him credit, for his well paying hourly job, his determination to finish high school, and his commitment to hating any HOA, and living in his parents' basement.

Despite his apparent OD disease.

Wait till his gen lights come on, his lights go off, and his cold starts happen on that long, winding road called life.

85CUCVtom

Capitalizing every word of every sentence makes your posts really hard to read.

In my opinion the M1009 is the most versatile CUCV if you can only own one CUCV. You still have the storage room in the bed when you roll the seat forward and whatever your hauling is going t stay dry vs. in the bed of a truck. You have ample seating to haul around your girlfriend and all her friends when they want to ride in a MV and they get pretty good fuel mileage.

Last edited:

Skinny

Capitalizing every word of every sentence makes your posts really hard to read.

In my opinion the M1009 is the most versatile CUCV if you can only own one CUCV. You still have the storage room in the bed when you roll the seat forward and whatever your hauling is going t stay dry vs. in the bed of a truck. You have ample seating to haul around your girlfriend and all her friends when they want to ride in a MV and they get pretty good fuel mileage.

I completely agree that the oh-9 is probably the best streetable all around DD machine. But...

The OP already has a Suburban. It just seems like if I already had something like this, I would outfit it with the axles/engine/tires of my choice and run it then take on another project. If you have your heart set of an MV, paint the burb OD.

85CUCVtom

I missed the part about him having a Suburban. Maybe I should read more carefully. If I already had that I would get a M1008. Then you have the best of both worlds, a pick-up and a Suburban. Then you have the ability to move/haul just about anything.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nikkormat,

welcome to SS and the green iron disease

and ignore all those people who don't like how you type

you will notice the only caps I use is when I type 'I' or to designate a model number

regarding your choices. I own both an M1009 and an M1028A2 (dually) and moved from Denver to Dallas about a year ago

the M1009 is a great truck and will get much better mpg but the M1028A1 will be able to tow a larger load

View attachment 373563

I also own a 1991 GMC Suburban V1500

The 6.2 is 'adequate' even above 9000 ft and the mpg are the same, whether at 500 or 5000 ft altitude - even at the altitude you live at

I used to own a CJ7, and it was a great vehicle prior to owning dogs - but with the addition of several animals, a CJ is a bad choice to transport two people, three large dogs and ANY luggage on a trip longer than an hour

I concur that the M1031 is probably the worse of the three choices you named and while I understand the appeal of a 'camper', as a DD, it would be somewhat of a challenge on dirt roads

if you have any questions, drop me a line and I'll answer as best I can

I think people dont like that his first post came off as being very arrogant. What does his age, owning his own home, and how much he makes per hour have to do with CUCV's? My opinion from his post is he is lacking maturity.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and ignore all those people who don't like how you type

you will notice the only caps I use is when I type 'I' or to designate a model number
Your comments are not appreciated. We will run a tight ship here. If you refuse to conform(follow simple rules), you won't stay on board.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FFH,

HE IS YOUNG - give him a few years - he's accomplished a lot in the short time he's been on this spinning orb

perhaps a nod to his youth, not a knock on it?

which has zippo to do with how he communicates to us - he got his message across, clear and concise and people want to criticize the fact that he capitalizes each word in the sentence or that he's immature?

his posts are much easier to read than some new members who cannot spell, cannot construct or punctuate a sentence to save their life and have all sorts of 'macho' issues during their brief stint on the board

several have come and gone and in most instances, the one's who have left and not come back, I will not miss

ah the energy of youth, I remember it well, albeit a LOOONNGG time ago - I just wish I had that much energy now

BIG_RED

I would agree that this new member's post came off a little arrogant, but at the same time I don't think we should jump on his back or ban him.

One thing I really like about this forum is that almost every single member is fairly humble. It's very rare that I see the wages of members in posts, or the amount of things that they own unless they are asked or are being made fun of by their friends for having a large yard completely covered in MV's in various states of restoration (which I like to hear about, because I want that). I wish he would have explained how he came to be so fortunate in his first post, because when I read the first post all that came to my mind was "trust fund baby". I no longer believe that to be the case.

I would like to express a warm welcome to any man(/woman/child) who joins here with good intentions, however I would also like to share with this member a little advice:

I am older than he is. I currently make less money than he does. I do not own a house. I own one unrestored 1986 M1009, many tools and a couple pieces of machinery. I own these things because I use them to make money. I live with my father. I work full time during the summers and I work 5 times harder in school during the winter. I have 3-4 years left in school. I've been repairing mechanical things since I was 12, to earn money on the side.

I consider myself a lucky man. I have no wife or children to look after and I am young enough that I should have time to become more successful and start a family.

I would imagine that there are a lot of people on this site that are not doing as well as I am. And there must be A LOT of people on here that aren't doing as well as he is.

I suggest that this new member be slightly more careful about how he presents himself. Because I am admittedly jealous of his position in life, and there are people in this world that are not nice to those they are jealous of.

With that said, I would recommend starting with a M1009 because they have a highway-friendly gear ratio and a lot of room for stuff if you remove the back seat. I would then recommend adding stronger axles with an overdrive transmission and maybe a new engine, when the OP finds himself with all of the parts and enough time to get the job done. That is exactly what I am doing to mine (in a few years, I hope).

Good luck! and Welcome To SS!

Danger Ranger

I typed a really nice, good length post, that I got timed out on because I didn't do it in Word.

It was something like this:

I think the OP's first post was yes, a bit arrogant, but not so much arrogant as excited. He is a young man. He is doing well, in his own home, with his own trucks, in the mountains. Wouldn't you be excited to be doing that? At his age? I too am jealous of him. Do I feel the need to bash on him? No, no I do not. He just joined a new forum, I was excited when I did that too.

Grow up guys. (Joke, sense humor here)

Nikkormat

Thank You All...

I Really Appreciate All Of The Kind Support You Guys Have Given Me In My Inquiry Into The World Of SS...

As Ascertained I Type Camel Case, I Am Arrogant (It Is The Seed Sown By Over Confidence:roll:), So Far I Have "Known When To Hold Em, And When To Fold Um." (Ive Been Lucky; So Far), I Am Pigheaded And Have Pretty Strong-Set Views On Certain Topics, I Am Isolated And Have Tooooooooooooooooooo Much Time On My Hands In The Summer, I Would Sell My Soul To Be Able To Spend The Rest Of My Life Fishing (Not Yet Ascertained But Will Be Eventually Exposed), I Am Isolated, I Don't Like To Give Away To Muck Personal Information This Was Stepping Over Boundaries For Me, I'm Not To Friendly, And I Always Forget Things...

Thank You Again For All Of Your Time Every One It Is Much Appreciated And Hopefully Well Used...

Did I Mention I Make Typo's?

Thanks Again...

Sincerely: Nikkormat - Or From Now On "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

original

Jesus H. Christ kid, just take your significant funds and buy one of each. :twisted: Seriously, do some research and make the decision. I've personally found that none of my CUCVs make good daily drivers. I love them and I hate them all and sometimes within the same hour. Good luck, mate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks