• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The WeenieWagun v3

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes sense for a hole with a bottom to it.... not sure if its worth it if the hole goes all the way thru allowing you to put a nut on the opposite end, like it appears to be in this situation
Exactly. The replacement bolt also seemed to 'grab' a bit better as well. It's possible whoever tightened it stripped a little of both, and the new bolt with new threads helps. I still didn't trust it by itself, which is why I put a nylok on it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at reefers since I just re-priced insulation - and it looks like it's gonna be cheaper to BUY a reefer van body than it would be to insulate the body I have. Go figure.

So, I was concerned about ventilation, since reefers are buttoned up pretty good.

ChatGPT to the rescue..

Calculating the exact time it would take for a person to consume enough oxygen or exhale enough carbon dioxide to make the environment unsuitable for respiration in a sealed room is a complex task that depends on several variables, including the person's metabolic rate, lung capacity, and the initial concentration of oxygen in the room. However, I can provide a rough estimate based on some general assumptions.

1. **Volume of the Room:** The room's volume is 7' x 12' x 7' = 588 cubic feet (assuming you're talking about a room with standard atmospheric pressure and temperature).

2. **Oxygen Consumption:** On average, a person at rest consumes about 250 milliliters (ml) of oxygen per minute. For simplicity, we'll assume this person is at rest.

3. **Carbon Dioxide Production:** A person exhales about 200 ml of carbon dioxide per minute at rest.

4. **Initial Oxygen Concentration:** We'll assume the room starts with a normal atmospheric oxygen concentration of about 21%.

Now, let's calculate how long it would take for a person to deplete the oxygen in the room to a level that becomes dangerous (below 18%) and accumulate enough carbon dioxide to be harmful (above 5%).

- The room volume is 588 cubic feet.
- Initial oxygen volume in the room: 588 cubic feet x 0.21 (21%) = 123.48 cubic feet of oxygen.

Let's calculate the time it takes for the person to consume this initial oxygen volume:

\(Time_{oxygen} = \frac{Initial\;Oxygen\;Volume}{Oxygen\;Consumption\;Rate} = \frac{123.48\;cubic\;feet}{0.25\;cubic\;feet/min} = 493.92\;minutes\)

So, it would take approximately 493.92 minutes or about 8 hours and 14 minutes for a person at rest to consume enough oxygen to lower the oxygen concentration in the room to a potentially dangerous level.

Now, let's calculate how long it takes for the person to produce enough carbon dioxide to reach a potentially harmful concentration:

- Initial carbon dioxide volume in the room: 0 cubic feet (assuming the room starts with no carbon dioxide).

\(Time_{CO2} = \frac{Room\;Volume \times CO2\;Threshold\;Concentration}{CO2\;Production\;Rate}\)

\(Time_{CO2} = \frac{588\;cubic\;feet \times 0.05}{0.2\;cubic\;feet/min} = 147\;minutes\)

It would take approximately 147 minutes or about 2 hours and 27 minutes for a person to produce enough carbon dioxide to reach a potentially harmful concentration.

Therefore, it would take longer for oxygen depletion to become a concern than for carbon dioxide buildup in this scenario. However, please note that these calculations are based on simplified assumptions and actual results could vary significantly depending on many factors, including the person's activity level, health, and the initial room conditions. In reality, oxygen levels below 18% and carbon dioxide levels above 5% are already dangerous and can lead to unconsciousness or death. It's essential to prioritize safety and ensure proper ventilation in enclosed spaces.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, 35lbs of goo showed up...

View attachment 904983

It matches the Milwaukee M18 grease gun that came earlier in the week.

(Not mine, same thing)

View attachment 904984
I bought one these greese guns last year and put a 36 in line on it and has made my world much easier laying on the ground greeseing things and just having to use the one hand to hold on the fitting and the guns rest on the ground with u just squeezing the trigger i think it was like 35 bucks on amazon
download.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one these greese guns last year and put a 36 in line on it and has made my world much easier laying on the ground greeseing things and just having to use the one hand to hold on the fitting and the guns rest on the ground with u just squeezing the trigger i think it was like 35 bucks on amazon
View attachment 905013
I looked at those, but I want a 'buy once, cry once' tool. Lots of so-so reviews, or 'used for 2 tubes and it leaks now' kinda stuff..

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at those, but I want a 'buy once, cry once' tool. Lots of so-so reviews, or 'used for 2 tubes and it leaks now' kinda stuff..
If it leaks means they must be using really cheap grease if its breaking down enough to leak out im a year in and lol no leaking ! I cry when i have to give 8 and 9 bucks a tube for lucas red tackey tubes to feed mine !

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it leaks means they must be using really cheap grease if its breaking down enough to leak out im a year in and lol no leaking ! I cry when i have to give 8 and 9 bucks a tube for lucas red tackey tubes to feed mine !
Leaking as in not holding pressure when being used.

Buy 35LB pail, it's a lot more cost effective.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaking as in not holding pressure when being used.

Buy 35LB pail, it's a lot more cost effective.
LOL I would have to live to be 100 yrs old to use that much grease ! And the brass screw on top of the tube is a air release like if you got a hollow pocket in the tube u crack the brass knob to let the air pocket out then tighten back and it pushes the grease out ! like a bleeder valve !

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL I would have to live to be 100 yrs old to use that much grease ! And the brass screw on top of the tube is a air release like if you got a hollow pocket in the tube u crack the brass knob to let the air pocket out then tighten back and it pushes the grease out ! like a bleeder valve !
A full truck greasing (including bearings) should use most of that tub.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta say some of the best money spent so far... re: ABS reader.

Pointed me right to the drivers side rear wheel.. I decided to trace wiring before I messed with the ECU/controller... and .... well...

20230921_152759.jpg

Knowing how small agencies are when it comes to decommissioning emergency vehicles.... 'just cut the wires so they can't use the lights, problem solved', the #%(&ers cut the sensor cable.

It was previously used by a local FD.... Their solution to disabling the flashing lights was to cut the wires, and it's not too uncommon that they cut the wrong ones....

Kinda nice being 'right'.. and all told, probably one of the easier fixes, provided that's all that's wrong with it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today was an excellent day (after work) to get some work done on the truck.

Started cleaning out the toolbox that's built into the truck.

Removed a bunch of the old wiring left by the fire department - need to finish that up tomorrow morning and tie the other wires back up.

Busted my lip trying to use self-drilling screws in 10ga steel- I had a 6" square piece of aluminum I was screwing to the steel. Let go of the aluminum piece of metal I was drilling into for a split second and the tip of the threads caught it and swung the metal across my face, busting my lip both inside and out. Only got myself to blame for that one though.

Added 2 LED beacons that are on whenever my headlights are on. I may put them on a switch later but it'll do for now.

Yeah, they're LED, so not exactly period correct, but I put them on a rotating pattern which is more akin to what it would have had on it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided it needed to be taken out to work out any bugs. 20 miles of back roads and 15 miles of highway and 5 back roads on the way back.

win some... lose some.

Idle seems to be a bit low... hovering around 400..Could explain the god awful racket under the hood. Getting up to 500rpm kills the noise.

I also noticed a ticking under load, which sounds like an exhaust leak... I've heard it since day 1 but it's not normal and I can't see any evidence of an exhaust leak so... but it doesn't seem to impact performance..

Notice some bulging on the sidewall of a tire. I knew the tires were old but they came from the fire department so they can't be that old, right? They just took the vehicle out of service in 2022.. Figured I'd double check.

#&%!

Also noticed a small leak at the transfer case and transmission.. and the trans doesn't want to up shift when under load but shifts fine when going down hill or under light load. downshift fine. Sounds like a line pressure issue to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks