• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The WeenieWagun v3

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay. Decided to stick with the 5 ton or is the deuce just not feasible for your use?
Heh. I clarified my last post.

Deuce will be up for sale. 5 ton is getting ready for the road.

With the minimal MPG difference between the 2, and the add'l capabilities and ease of maintenance/replacement parts with 5 ton, the only thing the duece had going for it was slightly smaller size, and multifuel.

The 8.3 can run on well filtered WMO (centrifuged) but not 100% like deuce.

I started crunching numbers on the deuce as far as things I wanted... upgraded brakes, hydraulic power steering instead of air assist, new tires, and at that point, I'd have more in the deuce than I think it's worth. Then you tack on parts availability, for a truck that's going to be a daily driver, and it lost out pretty quick.

Last edited:

ToddJK

Heh. I clarified my last post.

Deuce will be up for sale. 5 ton is getting ready for the road.

With the minimal MPG difference between the 2, and the add'l capabilities and ease of maintenance/replacement parts with 5 ton, the only thing the duece had going for it was slightly smaller size, and multifuel.

The 8.3 can run on well filtered WMO (centrifuged) but not 100% like deuce.

I started crunching numbers as far as things I wanted... upgraded brakes, hydraulic power steering instead of air assist, new tires, and at that point, I'd have more in the truck than it was worth. Then you tack on parts availability, for a truck that's going to be a daily driver, and it loses out pretty quick.
Makes sense and yeah, I was heavily distracted reading the last few posts due to my son acting like a terrorist so I'm sure I missed some stuff, but thanks for clarifying, lol. I don't think you'll have any issues selling it, I think there was someone that posted not long ago looking for a deuce 🤷.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LED headlights, parking lamps, and turn signal lamps.

View attachment 897148
OMG those look awful im glad you have the truck hid in the woods ! Take all of that stuff off and box it up and i will pm you my address and i will send you the CORRECT army issue headlights and bulb type turn signals so you will be period correct and i wont charge you one thin dime ! Just looking out for you so others wont make fun of you !!!!!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG those look awful im glad you have the truck hid in the woods ! Take all of that stuff off and box it up and i will pm you my address and i will send you the CORRECT army issue headlights and bulb type turn signals so you will be period correct and i wont charge you one thin dime ! Just looking out for you so others wont make fun of you !!!!!
Yeah, when the headlights are visible against the wall in broad daylight... you know they're bright... I do still have to adjust them.

Also, turn signals, some of the brighter ones I've found that outright advertise 9-30V.. Most are 12V and say they're 12/24V but will burn out quick... and again, you can see the reflection of the turn signal in the FLAT paint in broad daylight.... they're bright.. and not that expensive...

For the ENTIRE truck, I think it was less than $200...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, when the headlights are visible against the wall in broad daylight... you know they're bright... I do still have to adjust them.

Also, turn signals, some of the brighter ones I've found that outright advertise 9-30V.. Most are 12V and say they're 12/24V but will burn out quick... and again, you can see the reflection of the turn signal in the FLAT paint in broad daylight.... they're bright.. and not that expensive...

For the ENTIRE truck, I think it was less than $200...
Copy that so far everybody wants 200 a piece for the truk-lite 27250c lites i like and i gave up on the led front turn signals till i just stumble on some at a decent price ! Keep up the good work !

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headlights ($50x2) - I got them on sale when they were ~$80

Front turn signal ($30) - I got them on sale when they were $22

Front parking lamp ($12)

Rear parking lamp ($12)

Rear turn signal ($30) - I got them on sale when they were $22

So, my cost = $80+22+22+12+12 = $148
Current cost = $184

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy that so far everybody wants 200 a piece for the truk-lite 27250c lites i like and i gave up on the led front turn signals till i just stumble on some at a decent price ! Keep up the good work !
The knockoff trucklites are actually pretty high quality these days. Only thing you don't get in the knockoffs is the heater... which you don't get until you step into the much higher end trucklite models anyway. :D

I will say though, that I much prefer the projector optics. It gives a much wider, more uniform pattern across the road....and other than swapping the packard connectors, was plug and play.. no need for trimming or grinding anything, which some require. To be honest, most of the knockoffs are made by one company that others just stick their name on... so....

If I had to buy it again, I'd probably go with something like below, as the optic looks interesting... and the price is right..

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The knockoff trucklites are actually pretty high quality these days. Only thing you don't get in the knockoffs is the heater... which you don't get until you step into the much higher end trucklite models anyway. :D

I will say though, that I much prefer the projector optics. It gives a much wider, more uniform pattern across the road....and other than swapping the packard connectors, was plug and play.. no need for trimming or grinding anything, which some require. To be honest, most of the knockoffs are made by one company that others just stick their name on... so....

If I had to buy it again, I'd probably go with something like below, as the optic looks interesting... and the price is right..

Im running projector bulbs now they were in it when i got the truck from FT CAMPBELL and yea theyre brite enough i guess i should just try to replace the front turn signals to led and call it done !

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im running projector bulbs now they were in it when i got the truck from FT CAMPBELL and yea theyre brite enough i guess i should just try to replace the front turn signals to led and call it done !
My M934 had the standard halogen sealed beam bulbs in it when I picked it up from Bragg... Those things were damn near useless. I learned from my very first M1009 that the sealed beam bulbs are absolute garbage. I have a pic somewhere of the M1009 with 1 sealed beam and 1 LED. The 1 LED H6054 completely obliterated the sealed beam, like it wasn't even there...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headlights ($50x2) - I got them on sale when they were ~$80

Front turn signal ($30) - I got them on sale when they were $22

Front parking lamp ($12)

Rear parking lamp ($12)

Rear turn signal ($30) - I got them on sale when they were $22

So, my cost = $80+22+22+12+12 = $148
Current cost = $184
The top one you posted is what ive got i just thought the truk-lites were brighter not alot of info on actual cp from one light to another ive seen the truk-lites in my buddys 5 ton dump truck it looks like the sun is up at night lol

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M934 had the standard halogen sealed beam bulbs in it when I picked it up from Bragg... Those things were damn near useless. I learned from my very first M1009 that the sealed beam bulbs are absolute garbage. I have a pic somewhere of the M1009 with 1 sealed beam and 1 LED. The 1 LED H6054 completely obliterated the sealed beam, like it wasn't even there...
Found them.
69902411_10219630683332852_4972389745746247680_n.jpg

Here's the fun part.

Passenger side LED, driver side sealed beam..

Can you tell which one has BOTH on and which one has just the LED?

Yeah, that tiny round orange dot? Yeah. That's it.. :ROFLMAO:

70685738_10219630744494381_4807633241198559232_n.jpg70781738_10219630738814239_6597660088435998720_n.jpg

coachgeo

NOTE: unlike typical automotive lights..... LED lights works better to be colored the same (or similar) as the lens in front of them. So get Amber LED for Amber lights, Red for Red lights etc. For Headlights... BLUE-ish White is better for oncoming traffic and is better for driver, for it is closer to normal day light our eyes are designed to work in.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOTE: unlike typical automotive lights..... LED lights works better to be colored the same (or similar) as the lens in front of them. So get Amber LED for Amber lights, Red for Red lights etc. For Headlights... BLUE-ish White is better for oncoming traffic and is better for driver, for it is closer to normal day light our eyes are designed to work in.
You must be forgetting who you're talking to... :ROFLMAO:

To nitpick, you don't want ANY blue light, you want white light, generally between 4300K and 5000K, although most current LEDs push 6000K which is still acceptable.

coachgeo

You must be forgetting who you're talking to... :ROFLMAO:
I forget my own name much less who did what post a year or two ago lol. thanks for your past info. Still prefer head lights that just touch blue. In the spectrum that is easiest on eye strain... particularly after long day .. and then driving into the night.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forget my own name much less who did what post a year or two ago lol. thanks for your past info. Still prefer head lights that just touch blue. In the spectrum that is easiest on eye strain... particularly after long day .. and then driving into the night.
AKShUalLy...

Blue can cause eye strain. It's easily picked up by the eyes and seen as glare.. For driving, and in most situations, a neutral/natural white is much preferable to a cool white.

Sunlight is generally around 5000K-6000K, depending on what they define as 'daylight'.....

I'm just being picky... the lights I have are 6000K, but only because you can't find 4300-5000K lights that are cost effective...6000K is more than acceptable for anyone but the snobbiest of snobs... Most people can't tell the difference between 5000K and 6500K if shown separately... 6000K-6500K is really the absolute upper limit you want to go for headlights... and that's pushing it, IMO. Above that and you start getting negative impacts from the blue wavelengths of light, like the aforementioned glare issue.

I think a lot of it has to do with terminology. A lot of people see 6500K as 'bright white' or 'pure white', when in reality, it's starting to push into the blue spectrum already. I attached a pic below to demonstrate that.

I prefer to be accurate, instead of letting small inconsistencies go... don't take it personally.. ;)

maxresdefault-3690817702.jpg

This is also shown on spectrographs....

V70_Light-Quality_img01-3401376163.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

AKShUalLy...

Blue can cause eye strain. It's easily picked up by the eyes and seen as glare.. For driving, and in most situations, a neutral/natural white is much preferable to a cool white.

Sunlight is generally around 5000K-6000K, depending on what they define as 'daylight'.....

I'm just being picky... the lights I have are 6000K, but only because you can't find 4300-5000K lights that are cost effective...6000K is more than acceptable for anyone but the snobbiest of snobs... Most people can't tell the difference between 5000K and 6500K if shown separately... 6000K-6500K is really the absolute upper limit you want to go for headlights... and that's pushing it, IMO. Above that and you start getting negative impacts from the blue wavelengths of light, like the aforementioned glare issue.

I think a lot of it has to do with terminology. A lot of people see 6500K as 'bright white' or 'pure white', when in reality, it's starting to push into the blue spectrum already. I attached a pic below to demonstrate that.

I prefer to be accurate, instead of letting small inconsistencies go... don't take it personally.. ;)

View attachment 897312

This is also shown on spectrographs....

View attachment 897313
going by this the 5500 that center white beam would blind the shiat out of me and honestly painful....... 6500 significantly more manageable.

Guess its just my eyes. Been that way all my life. Find oncoming headlights lights just can be very painful.... have enlarged optic nerve foramen.. though not sure if that is why bright lights translate like they do... anyway this is in part why bright light topic has always peeked my interest.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
going by this the 5500 that center white beam would blind the shiat out of me and honestly painful....... 6500 significantly more manageable.

Guess its just my eyes. Been that way all my life. Find oncoming headlights lights just can be very painful.... have enlarged optic nerve foramen.. though not sure if that is why bright lights translate like they do... anyway this is in part why bright light topic has always peeked my interest.
You do realize the center is pointing straight forward toward the camera, while the ones on the side are pointed outwards, off axis, right? :p

You'll notice you can see much more detail on the first 2, where the 3rd one washes things out. Refraction/reflection changes based on wavelength. Half of the blue light issue is the way our eyes are designed. The other half is the way light higher in the spectrum reacts. A blue tinted light will scatter easily, again, how we see glare, but also NOT illuminating the road, especially when wet. Ever see blue headlights that are insanely bright if you look at them but they all but disappear on the road in the rain?

Last edited:

coachgeo

You do realize the center is pointing straight forward toward the camera, while the ones on the side are pointed outwards, off axis, right? :p
missing a few points of reality.. not arguing.... just point's to ponder.
. What is the autonomic response to stimuli of the eye?? to look that direction!.... aka- look will go to the point of highest stimuli...... as in- the bright center of the light.
... Example: when one gets an eye exam and they look into patients eye with a light..... does the average person find their eye is drawn to the bright light put there by the Ophthalmologist...... yes .

.What road goes perfectly straight?? None; they all bob a few minor degrees along with terrain a bit
.what driver drives Perfectly straight?? None; everyone will bob minorly across every mile they drive along with road.. terrain, road imperfections, shifting vehicle slightly around stuff on road etc.
.1 degree of angle from point A (headlight) to a point B (oncoming traffic)1" away is minor..... to a point B 50yd's away? is ... is direct in the eye of the oncoming vehicle. (yeah probably bad math but you get the point am guessing)

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
missing a few points of reality.. not arguing.... just point's to ponder.
. What is the autonomic response to stimuli of the eye?? to look that direction!.... aka- look will go to the point of highest stimuli...... as in- the bright center of the light.
... Example: when one gets an eye exam and they look into patients eye with a light..... does the average person find their eye is drawn to the bright light put there by the Ophthalmologist...... yes .

.What road goes perfectly straight?? None; they all bob a few minor degrees along with terrain a bit
.what driver drives Perfectly straight?? None; everyone will bob minorly across every mile they drive along with road.. terrain, road imperfections, shifting vehicle slightly around stuff on road etc.
.1 degree of angle from point A (headlight) to a point B (oncoming traffic)1" away is minor..... to a point B 50yd's away? is ... is direct in the eye of the oncoming vehicle. (yeah probably bad math but you get the point am guessing)
To a properly aimed headlight, even more so if it's a projector with a sharp cutoff, that 1* is the difference between seeing fine and being blinded. :cool:

I think we're talking past each other at this point.... or picking at nits, heh.

Easy fix - don't stare at the bright light... Look at a point on the side of the road like the shoulder marker on the right side... I mean, yeah, it should be aimed properly to begin with.. and we're both on THAT, but if the light on the right in the picture was aimed as the light in the middle was, it'd be more blinding.. if you're normal.. :mrgreen:

I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but I'm right-er...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks