• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The WeenieWagun v3

coachgeo

Put expanded metal over that section into the bumper same as center ??? Both sides to keep it balanced??
Then what you use to cover the remaining of old light hole..... would be hidden more and you dont have to be as concerned about Fugly work.

keep water out? wonder if you could make a flap that works like a flap over a diesel exhaust stack to put on the end of the horn? Something real light in weight so air leaving horn pushes it up?? while some of air driving pushes it shut when horn not blowing?

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put expanded metal over that section into the bumper same as center ??? Both sides to keep it balanced??
Then what you use to cover the remaining of old light hole..... would be hidden more and you dont have to be as concerned about Fugly work.

keep water out? wonder if you could make a flap that works like a flap over a diesel exhaust stack to put on the end of the horn? Something real light in weight so air leaving horn pushes it up?? while some of air driving pushes it shut when horn not blowing?
No need to keep water out. It's actually better protected than most horns, since most horns are mounted on a roof or fender, with no cover.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy, today has been fun.

Ordered the 'long' oil filter, because extra filtration is better, right? Not when it's too long to fit where it needs to go. There's $60 down the drain ( I ordered 2, non-returnable)....and on top of that, while I can order the right filter for $35, it won't be here until next Wednesday, so if I don't want this truck deadlined for the next week, I'm spending another $50 for a filter from a local shop.

20230615_195821.jpg

Get all my materials together, including my easy drain plug... Pulled plug out, let oil drain, easy peasy... go to put new plug in and *kerplunk*... right into the now foot deep pan of oil....Fish it out..... get it installed.... For some reason I was thinking the drain was on the back of the pan, but it's on the side... .so it sticks out farther than I might be comfortable with.... I'm thinking I might have to build a shield for it..... and yes, I'm getting a cap for it.

20230615_195635.jpg

20230615_195652.jpg

I go try to drain the oil into my barrel- A funnel which holds about a gallon decides it doesn't want to live in the hole anymore and falls over, spilling a gallon+ of oil all over the place.. Luckily it's dry dirt so it'll soak up pretty quick, but the barrel is now completely covered with oil.... *sigh*

ToddJK

Oh boy, today has been fun.

Ordered the 'long' oil filter, because extra filtration is better, right? Not when it's too long to fit where it needs to go. There's $60 down the drain ( I ordered 2, non-returnable)....and on top of that, while I can order the right filter for $35, it won't be here until next Wednesday, so if I don't want this truck deadlined for the next week, I'm spending another $50 for a filter from a local shop.

View attachment 899802

Get all my materials together, including my easy drain plug... Pulled plug out, let oil drain, easy peasy... go to put new plug in and *kerplunk*... right into the now foot deep pan of oil....Fish it out..... get it installed.... For some reason I was thinking the drain was on the back of the pan, but it's on the side... .so it sticks out farther than I might be comfortable with.... I'm thinking I might have to build a shield for it..... and yes, I'm getting a cap for it.

View attachment 899803

View attachment 899804

I go try to drain the oil into my barrel- A funnel which holds about a gallon decides it doesn't want to live in the hole anymore and falls over, spilling a gallon+ of oil all over the place.. Luckily it's dry dirt so it'll soak up pretty quick, but the barrel is now completely covered with oil.... *sigh*
I'm sure most of us have experienced some days where things just could have went better, but look on the bright side, the oil spilled, you're just giving it back to the earth 🤷😆.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took it out for a road test.

Brakes seemed to be binding for the first couple hundred feet or so then released. I braked when approaching a gate, let off the brakes, and it released, but then seemed like it wanted to grab and I had to hit the throttle otherwise I would be coming to a stop. Flooring it onto the highway there was also a god-awful winding up sound that I would equate to a differential, but that also went away very quickly. My buddy thinks that was the turbo spooling up but I've never heard a turbo spool up like that...

Didn't want to seem to want to go faster than 35 on a slight grade then shifted up and continued accelerating, so...

Trans fluid + differential fluid are on the list. I already have the diff fluid, need to order the trans fluid.

Definitely drives differently than the A0/A1. It's both faster, and slower...

The ticking I heard is definitely a TON louder under load, but completely disappears when not under throttle.. So I'm thinking maybe an issue with something exhaust related since that's under pressure and it definitely sounds like something akin to an exhaust leak, despite not being able to find evidence of one (telltale black smoke marks around the exhaust manifold where it's leaking). Everything seems to point to the turbo or some part of the exhaust system being pressurized then releasing.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tackling the diffs today.

Rear was mostly amber with a hint of Grey, indicates water intrusion, and given the fact it was a brush/rescue truck for a beach, that's entirely expected. It did appear slightly underfilled.

Very minor sludge on the magnet, almost imperceptible... which... for 30k miles is also expected...

Now on to the center and front!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Center axle more of the same but definitely darker fluid, and more material on plug. Also different style drain plug.

These things sure do take a while to drain.

I hope I'll have enough time to tackle the transfer case...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
transfer case next instead of front diff.... it was closer... 🤣

Dark Grey almost black... not a lot of sludge on drain magnet but enough that I needed to wipe it off.

I think it's safe to say this truck had nearly no maintenance by the FD that owned it.

No wonder they got rid of it... after claiming it was 'unreliable'...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All done. Buttoned back up.... only thing left is to wait until trans filter gets here... then do trans fluid.

If you don't have one of these air driven dispensers..... get one!

All 3 5 gal buckets are gone.... and the dispenser is about 3/4 full... after refilling 3x...

20230625_191104.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you give more info on that air driven dispenser?

Liquid goes in the tank. Use air compressor to pressurize it (I do 120 PSI), then dispense until empty, or needs more air.

I use arguably the smallest air compressor in the world with it... has a 2 gallon reserve tank, and it's enough to fully charge the dispenser, then about halfway through it cycles the compressor again (if I leave it hooked up)..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropped $$$ on Transynd.

Got it in, ordered trans filter, O-rings, etc.

Gather up materials...

Crawl under the truck....notice a bit of a light oily film on the trans pan, indicating a small leak somewhere.

Pull drain plug. Looks like they put dex3 in there but didn't complete the switchover from 15w40/10wt (whatever they had in there).
So it's mostly dex3 but clearly contaminated with oil.

20230707_181153.jpg

~4 gallons of fluid comes out, which is normal amount.

Go to loosen drain pan... and I swear every bolt is a hair over hand tight. Just comes right out. I think I found the source of the leak.

Then I go to pull the regulator filter screen.. Pull it out, it's near spotless. Clean it out - go to grab the O-ring and....Amazon sent me 100 teeny-tiny O-rings, instead of 20 of the O-rings I ordered.

:mad:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual, things don't go as planned.

Getting the pan back up went pretty easy. Putting the dipstick tube back on? Holy crap. That was an exercise.

Went to go do the final tightening of the pan, and realized one of the bolts just spins in the hole... It's stripped... I'm guessing that was the first bolt the last person tried to put in, and stripped it, then was gentle with the rest of the bolts for fear of stripping those as well, which is why they were all barely finger tight.

Now to figure out the best way to secure it *sigh*.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oversize slightly and retap accordingly? paint head of nut and area on pan well to mark it is a different size than others?? Maybe doing metric will let you oversize less if how much oversize space available is limited?
I think I'm gonna get a slightly longer existing bolt, since it's threaded all the way through (I think) and nut it on top.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
God I love the TMs.

Pull up Part # with NSN.

NSN gives me the following details...

AAJDTHREAD CLASS2A
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
AASATHREAD LENGTH0.489 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.519 INCHES MAXIMUM
AASBFASTENER LENGTH0.600 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.630 INCHES MAXIMUM
AASKHEAD STYLEHEXAGON EXTENDED WASHER
AASUHEAD HEIGHT0.293 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.308 INCHES MAXIMUM
AATBWIDTH BETWEEN FLATS0.489 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.500 INCHES MAXIMUM
AATCEXTENDED WASHER DIAMETER0.750 INCHES NOMINAL
AATDEXTENDED WASHER THICKNESS0.090 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.105 INCHES MAXIMUM
AAUMLOCKING FEATURELOCKING TEETH BEARING SURFACE OF HEAD
AHYMNOMINAL THREAD DIAMETER0.312 INCHES
CBBLFEATURES PROVIDEDCASEHARDENED AND FINISHED HEAD
CMLPTHREAD QUANTITY PER INCH18
CQBCMINIMUM TENSILE STRENGTH115000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CQFMHARDNESS RATING22.0 ROCKWELL C MINIMUM OVERALL AND 35.0 ROCKWELL C MAXIMUM OVERALL
CQHQMINIMUM YIELD STRENGTH115000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
MDCLMATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION66 FED STD ALL MATERIAL RESPONSES OVERALL
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNC

.312 = 5/16

Standard coarse thread pitch for 5/16? 18 tpi

Takes me 2 mins to find out it's 5/16-18, 1/2 inch. So I'd want 3/4 or 1"... Something I might have on hand, IN STAINLESS... :giggle:

The interesting part is, FOR SURE, there were 2 different length bolts.. with longer bolts on the corners.... but TM only shows 1 length, from what I can see.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks