• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "While you're in there thread"

The King Machine

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have a few fixes and upgrades I need to start and finish on my Deuce. Up until this point I have referenced the TM's, various Threads, and even PM'd some of the more experienced members for advice on how to deal with certain problems or issues I've come across working on my truck.

So I figured, why not start a thread for others to pool information about their experiences working on these trucks. The type of experiences and information you can't find in the TM's or would take hours of searching to come up with. Nothing beats hands on experience
One thing in particular I'm interested in in is; say for example I need to do a transfer case swap.
What should I watch out for while installing?
Is there anything I should replace, check, or upgrade while it's out?
Did anyone have any unforeseen problems?
Was there any ware items that should be replaced before installing?
Is there anything you would do different?

MOD's I did a search for a thread like this and didn't really find anything, however if one does exist then feel free to remove this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When I did my head gaskets, I put on the new turbo I had sitting there, I installed the new steering shaft I had, injectors, and injection pump. At the least I would have your injectors pop tested and adjusted.

Jeepsinker

Yes, coolant hoses, all of them. Preferrably with silicone hose so you never have to do it again. Also replace all of the freeze plugs in the heads while they are off.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here's an easy one....

TOO many truckers and MV operators FAIL this simple PM step it's ridiculous.

Next time you're under your truck opening the cocks on your air tanks to blow off any condensation accumulation, think about picking up and swapping in a pair of "pull string" type relief valves. Simply tether the two stings to the nearby grab handle on the frame and you'll never have to crawl under the truck and get that stuff sprayed all over your hands and arms again. Just reach past the Spare Tire and Pioneer Tool Rack and pull the string to blow-off the nasty stuff.

A one time $12 investment assures I'll (hopefully) never have "water in the air line" related problems.

So easy even a cave man can do it.

gimpyrobb

OK, here's an easy one....

TOO many truckers and MV operators FAIL this simple PM step it's ridiculous.

Next time you're under your truck opening the cocks on your air tanks to blow off any condensation accumulation, think about picking up and swapping in a pair of "pull string" type relief valves. Simply tether the two stings to the nearby grab handle on the frame and you'll never have to crawl under the truck and get that stuff sprayed all over your hands and arms again. Just reach past the Spare Tire and Pioneer Tool Rack and pull the string to blow-off the nasty stuff.

A one time $12 investment assures I'll (hopefully) never have "water in the air line" related problems.

So easy even a cave man can do it.

Make sure you replace the stock pull cord with stainless wire rope! Mine has rotted out and needs replaced.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good call, Gimp.
I hadn't had my on there long enough for the plastic to even start degrading.
Of course, here in west Texas, rust is seldom a problem. There just ain't enough humidity really for much condensation to accumulate in the air tanks either. But it's still "best practices" to vent it after every operation.

gimpyrobb

Sounds like you have plastic pull cords? Mine were galvanized and are rotted away. Never thought to use nylon.

jatonka

Amen on the freeze plugs, a bad one of those ended my Gun Truck trip to the Gathering in Georgia last summer. Just picking up my heads tomorrow from the machine shop, fresh flat surface, new valve job and all new freeze plugs. JT

Stykz

I did all of my coolant hoses;

Pulled radiator out, cleaned it thoroughly
Removed thermostat and replaced all hoses & thermostat
Replaced all three belts while the radiator was out
Deleted Flame Heater while removing the upper water pathways
Pulled the J pipe that goes to the oil cooler and replaced the hose behind the oil filters and into the waterpump
Cleaned out waterpump while everything was apart
Replaced primary fuel filter while it was easily accessible

The King Machine

Thanks for all the suggestions, all very helpful.

Gonna start tearing into her this weekend.
She needs it.
All the rubber Pipe couplers are cracked and a bit rotted. It's burping coolant bubbles from the base of the front head up near the fan, and I have an oil leak dripping from behind the fuel filters.

I haven't even mentioned the clutch job that's pending completion of the engine work. Needless to say I have a lot of work to do.

gimpyrobb

The clutch is a cake walk in comparison. When you pull the trans and put it back in, pull the top cover off and use a short section of chain across the opening. It makes it 1000xs easier.

The King Machine

Thanks for all the input guys,

I've got the truck all tore down. I'm sending the heads out to be resurfaced this week along with the injectors getting tested. When I turbo off I found fuel in it, quite a lot of fuel. That's a good sign my intake flame heater was leaking, which would also account for the fuel I found in the crank case. All I need to do now is clean the pistons out as some dirt got in there when I pulled the heads off and fix my rad. as it has rusted out on the bottom support bracket. Then I should be able to start putting it back together. One other problem I had with this engine was a really bad oil leak coming from behind the fuel filter housing. There is an inspection plate behind there. I figured the gasket was rotted and causing it to leak. However when I pulled it apart I found that the there was 2 gaskets stacked on top of each other. It looks like one of them was not removed the last time it was changed.

2 questions?

Is there anyone who sells a complete rubber hose/pipe coupler set for the engine? How about new head studs? I cant see to find any.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
One other problem I had with this engine was a really bad oil leak coming from behind the fuel filter housing. There is an inspection plate behind there. I figured the gasket was rotted and causing it to leak. However when I pulled it apart I found that the there was 2 gaskets stacked on top of each other.
Now I am really interested in what I can see behind the inspection plate BEHIND the fuel filter housings. Didn't know that was there.
Please tell more of what one could inspect behind the "inspection plates" and Thanks.
behind filters seup too IMG_0144.jpgbehind filters seup IMG_0130.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks