• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking about buying a Deuce , need some advice

rwright07

me and a couple guys i am living with are thinking about getting a Duece. We have found a guy who has a few and is asking around 2500 for each, plus a 3.5 ton trailer as well. The one in the best running condition has a broken brake/wheel cylinder on the right front wheel. How difficult is it to source this part and how hard is the repair. We would like to be able to drive the vehicle about 4 hours to get it home as we dont have a trailer with that sort of weight rating. We are quite mechanically inclined and have experience doing all sorts of large repairs. How costly would it be to get this thing in road worthy condition?

here is the ad minus contact info (cant have anybody swooping in on my shit):

Deuce and a Half needs brake cylinder on right front tire. Trailer chassis is ready for anything your want to build on top of it. Use it for a water truck, or build a small living quarter for yourself. Ideal for a Mexican Ranchero. Price is fixed. Truck sides are fixed not drop sides. Engine is Multi-Fuel gas, diesel, kerosene. Been told that rubbing alcohol has worked after mixing it with kerosene on at least one occasion. This trailer comes with the truck..other trailers available for sale(one and a half ton with metal sides and back...Trailers have doughnut hitch

thanks for the help

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinders are easy to find. I haven't looked but I bet OD Iron carries them. Repair is basicly no different than any other drum brake wheel cyilinder everything is just bigger and requires bigger tools.

Price sounds pretty good depending on the overall condition.

I feel sure it would run on rubbing alcohol but regular diesel would be cheaper :wink: .

I see you're in CA. Might want to talk to some of the CA guys because CA has some crazy laws and CDL requirements for a deuce the way I understand it.

rwright07

cool, who should i get in touch with about CA laws...

i thought you didnt need a CDL becuase they have Air over Hydraulic brakes?

i am pumped about this idea and will keep researching this stuff.

What should i be looking for when i go see this thing, and what questions should I ask the guy about the truck besides the obvious next time i talk to him?

Stalled

1st,run to the doctor and tell him your sypmtoms(and be honest,remember,they are doctors and have heard it all before) go ahead and pre kill the grass in your yard,and make a place for a 2nd duece while you are at it.Then tell the wife that you might even be able to make $$ with it and the second one also.Then make room in the back yard for all the other projects that have no meaning since you got the duece...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Be prepared to lose your roomates. You guys will buy the dang thing, and proceed to lie cheat and steal time to drive it. Nobody will get along, you will turn into two year olds! "its MINE MINE MINE!" you will all start to get jealous of eachothers time spent with it. Do yourself a favor and buy one for each of you, that way if one breaks, you can recover it yourselves.

hole

By the letter of the law, any vehical with three axles over 6000 lbs requires a "B" license. Most of us have our trucks registered as historical and most of us do not have a CDL. If your not hauling anything in back and otherwise obey the law you shouldnt have to worry much . Like Gimpyrobb said, either lose the roommates or get 3 trucks because one will not do! :wink:

Mike_Pop

Besides pre-killing your grass, make sure you schmooze up to the local code enforcement official because you are bound to piss off your neighbors with the first deuce. The second deuce, M105 trailer, and eventually a CUCV will lead you to have to search for a good lawyer to fight town hall and the irate neighbors. My advice to you is move out in the country, away from San Luis Obisbo, find a nice ranchette in Atascadero.

Barrman

ODIron has the wheel cylinders. Simple hand tools will get it swapped out. You will need a 1-1/2" socket to remove the rim however. If the entire brake system is dry, figure on 1 quart of brake fluid to get it bled and topped off. Might want to contact the seller and see if it had DOT 3 or DOT 5 fluid in it before. Bleed the air pack first or you will never get a good pedal.

As pointed out already, you can't have just one by yourself. Never mind with room mates. Tow bars, trailers, smaller trucks for "faster trips to the store", bigger trucks to go get more trucks, etc... You are about to start down a slippery slope none of us know how to get off of. You have been warned!

rwright07

ok so i have read a bunch and checked the CA DMV codes and it appears i will need the Class B CDL... How difficult is this to actually get? And how likely am I to get hassled about this? Are these trucks difficult to get registered as a H.V.?

65 bucks a year plus a physical every two doesn't sound too bad, but how is the actual test. I have never driven anything quite this substantial before.

will keep reading/learning/figuring out how to get it home after purchasing

Mike_Pop

Having a CDL is a good thing. The test is not too difficult (remember...truck drivers can pass it). The physical is a pain but I've learned as I've gotten older that it pays to get a checkup every two years.

You will get in trouble if you are driving a CDL required vehicle (if you get caught).

Stalled

I have a dealer tag till 97 comes thru and havent even put it in the window yet.All the law enforcement waves at me.I thought id see how long I can get away with it.I drove it 350 miles home without one and 2 weeks here.Probably 700 miles without now.Now if that winch truck in Pa. will just make the trip home without drama.....

ShadowMaster

Mike_Pop said:
Having a CDL is a good thing. The test is not too difficult (remember...truck drivers can pass it). You will get in trouble if you are driving a CDL required vehicle (if you get caught).
Get the CDL booklet from the DMV, take the Class B test (You will need to have a drugtest and Phyisical to show at the time you take your test.) with airbrakes you will have your "learners" then off to a Facility to learn to drive and get the roadtest. Some states do the roadtest at their facility.

Class B is simple... BTW, I am a trucker and mildly offended...but I will let it go. :x

rwright07

can do, i will be going there to get new tags for my 84 K5 blazer this week anyways. I should probably make an appointment for taking the drive test too.

only problem is: what to take it in? Either i get the deuce and drive it home sans-CDL then take the test in it, or have no truck to test in.... whatdoido?

ShadowMaster

Well, there is usually a testing center or someone that you can get a road test truck from. I would call a couple of the truck driving schools in your area. Dont bother with the ones attacted to a trucking company. Otherwise ask at the DMV when you pickup your booklet.

rwright07

ok now i have all the forms for getting the physical, I have the CDL handbook, and a pre-drive inspection check list given to me by a friendly local bus driver who i talked to on the way back from school today.

i am thinking about getting the physical and taking the written test, so i have the class B permit, then going to get the Deuce from it its resting place and bringing it home and practicing, then taking the drive test so i will be legitimately allowed to drive it.

i figure an officer would be more likely to cut me some slack if I had the CDL class B permit and made up a story than if i had nothing at all. To make this whole deal exactly legal i need to find somebody with a class B willing to drive down from San Luis Obispo about 4-5 hours, prepare the new deuce for travel, then accompany me back home with it.

Is that wishful thinking or is there somebody (perhaps on SS) who might be willing to help out?

ShadowMaster

rwright07 said:
i figure an officer would be more likely to cut me some slack if I had the CDL class B permit and made up a story than if i had nothing at all.
Is that wishful thinking or is there somebody (perhaps on SS) who might be willing to help out?
Uh, wishful thinking. There is a Reason truckers hate the DOT in Cali. At anytime it will cost a trucker $500 min for whatever the infraction might be. I would see what the DOT Rules are for certain in Cal before I drove the truck. BTW if traveling more than 100 miles radius from your domicile is required to be Logged in a Log Book. So, double check and check again. I am surprised that you need a CDL to move a Deuce. But, Cali does know how to make a buck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks