• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of Buying a M36A3

pmramsey

I forgot about the CDL requirement. It is a non-issue for me here in Virginia. Farmers can drive any size/weight vehicle, truck, semi, airbrakes, etc. within 150 miles of any and all of their farming operations. Some might consider me lucky in that I get to drive old military stuff almost every day. We are slowly getting rid of our Duces as we have moved to the M813s and M818s. The M35A3 and M35A2 that we have remaining are so cherry I hate to part with them but I know they must go sometime down the road. I am fortunate that my mechanic has been working with us for 24-years and he has seen, done, just about everything one could imagine in regards to our old military stuff.

Wolfen

I know all about the Farm Exemption for Farm Trucks. I grew up on a Farm. If it wasn't for the CDL Requirement, I would be looking at buying a 5 Ton.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so here's the collector in me coming out. If I remember correctly, there were under 5,000 M35A3's ever built. That would make a heck of alot less M36A3's (I'd guess 250-300). Now buy one with a factory winch (like the one that ended on GL recently). Now fast forward 20-25 years, How rare will this truck become as a collector vehicle if it's not hacked up? Just a thought.[thumbzup]

Wolfen

I agree with you on it becoming a Collectors Vehicle. If I got one, I wouldn't hack it up. In 25-30 Years, A3 Parts will be very hard to find since so few were made and many of them were sold to other Countries Armies.

Welder Sam

Ive pondered the m36 crew cab, 12' box, singled 6x6 & crewed w/109 box ideas. The a3 looks to be a nice truck, just not my style tho. Im going to start smaller tho. Could always make a trailer from the 36 bed to keep it useful:beer:

CobraCDR

I think parts will still be availabel in the coming years, between the common components with the A2 and the new CAT engine / transmission we should be in good shape on the commercial market. As for A3s, great vehicles, it just comes down to if you really want the longer bed???

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 36A2, and the plan is to put an S-280 on it, more to the front and use the back for a 'porch' (about four feet worth). The 280 will be a bunkhouse, with six bunks in it as part of my field feeding system. The 36 has a USMC heritage, with the paper clips on the front bumper and pre-installed deep water fording kit (no place to store the bell housing drain plug, etc.).

CobraCDR

A few considerations:

Turning Radius:
M35A3: 36 ft
M36A3: 45 ft

Angle or Approach:
M35A3 WO/W: 51
M35A3 W/W: 40
M36A3 WO/W: 51
M36A3 W/W: 40

Angle of Departure:
M35A3: 41
M36A3: 25

Make sure you back end doesn't bottom out on the off-road hilly stuff!

If you have the room and want the long bed, go for it, these are far less common than the standard A3s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks