• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Third's Build Discussion

Third From Texas

You might need an APU.

Sullenberger used his and saved the day on Flight 1549. Out of sequence, he started the APU early and because he didn't kill everybody on the plane - he was a hero - since he took personal initiative.

Had he crashed and killed everyone, that would have been what everybody pointed to as the failure. Ducks Be Damned!
APUs are the devil.

Someone left theirs on...

Third From Texas

We quit using gravity fill in the 80s to slow and everwhere you will get water will be under pressure so it wont go in unless its screwed on under pressure
Revisiting this comment.

Not sure why gravity feed from a hose would be any slower than connecting the same hose to an inlet. The gravity inlet and tank opening is 1.5" going in which is larger than a garden hose. Even at full pressure and garden hose can only move so much water.

In any event, it's under 5 mins to fill a 50gal tank.

Untitled.png

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Revisiting this comment.

Not sure why gravity feed from a hose would be any slower than connecting the same hose to an inlet. The gravity inlet and tank opening is 1.5" going in which is larger than a garden hose. Even at full pressure and garden hose can only move so much water.

In any event, it's under 5 mins to fill a 50gal tank.

View attachment 873709
Because theres not 80 psi pushing thru the line it has to gravity feed into the tank slowly and that is only important to me while i was bussing im filling 150 gallon tanks as fast as ican shove 180 gallons of diesel in the neck to get rolling before someone could wake up and want to go inside and wreck my eta

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Na, but thanks.

A discussion setting isn't really ever the ideal for documenting a specific build.

It's great for feedback but it easily strays off topic.

I'll relocate the actual build thread to another non-threaded site.
Your gona hurt my feelings !!!!! I feel pressure on me !! You dont want my help!!!!

Third From Texas

Because theres not 80 psi pushing thru the line it has to gravity feed into the tank slowly and that is only important to me while i was bussing im filling 150 gallon tanks as fast as ican shove 180 gallons of diesel in the neck to get rolling before someone could wake up and want to go inside and wreck my eta
Hence the flow rate calculator results that I posted.

Most residential spickets produce 45-50psi at the outlet (which degrades depending on hose size/length).

But I follow your point. I'm just not sure it will be an issue for me. I can fill my tank in just over 3 mins.

Third From Texas

Your gona hurt my feelings !!!!! I feel pressure on me !! You dont want my help!!!!
Just the opposite.

I'm leaving this one for just such discussions.

I'll do an actual build documentation on something with a separate comment section so as not to detour from the actual build/progress/components.

Something like Instagram (but not liberally biased/owned)).

:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hence the flow rate calculator results that I posted.

Most residential spickets produce 45-50psi at the outlet (which degrades depending on hose size/length).

But I follow your point. I'm just not sure it will be an issue for me. I can fill my tank in just over 3 mins.
I put a gauge on my spicket on the house a while back and im at 80 psi and commercial property like truckstops with bigger waterlines coming in always seemed much faster than filling in my driveway

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the opposite.

I'm leaving this one for just such discussions.

I'll do an actual build documentation on something with a separate comment section so as not to detour from the actual build/progress/components.

Something like Instagram (but not liberally biased/owned)).

:)
did u mean suck or such ????????????????

coachgeo

Oh, I'll still be posting the discussion here.

But it is hard to document/follow build threads with nested discussion.
there is tricks you can use in forums to keep build threads decluttered.....

one way is to say; make build thread here in RV area...... and have it be nothing but a synopsis of each phase of the project and, lot of pics .... along with a note at top of the build thread.... "MORE DETAIL ON EACH PHASE of this project will be placed in matching forums as I go along". Thus each new post you add into the build thread ends up being a "phase" of the project.. The build thread one might update or re-wrte synopsis occasionally. Makes logical since cause you learn new things in the discussions of each phase ..... and may want to include it in your synopsis.

AKA break the build into chunks/phases.... provide a link in a post in the build thread to where you created a discussion on each phase. example.... say the paint job.... this SSoldiers board actually has a paint and body forum... you could do all that body work discussion in a thread(s) you created in that PBdy forum.... do all discussion on that part of the project in a thread(s) you put there.

In the meantime in your build thread @ the RV forum.... you putt the note in the post about the Paint Body phase . "WON'T ANSWER Questions here... go to provided paint body link for that." " Rest of that post being a synopsis " w/pics ... and of course the links to the nitty gritty discussion that occurred in the paint and body forum".

repeat for another phase... say the engine work or trans work.. Put some pics in a post in your build thread; again with a note of.... Won't answer questions here..... THE DISCUSSION and more details are found at (provide link). In that phase the FMTV forum might be where you put post up for getting into the nitty gritty of engine/trans stuff. . Sorta makes since cause engine/transmission knowledgeable people are more liable to hang out there anyway. They may never come to the RV thread so you would have missed their advise if you had kept everything in the RV forum.

sounds really complicated to do but honestly its not..... just takes lot of written words to explain above idea.... (and I probably failed miserably trying to explain it.) It is actually simple to do it.... with a little fore thought .

Guyfang could help you do it. give him a list of post #'s from this thread to move to the paint body forum. That will renumber the post in here. Then repeat for moving other post to other forums. Once everything is sitting in its best forum... create your build thread here..... with synopsis, pics.... and the links to where you and Guyfang moved each phase's "discussion".

Last edited:

Third From Texas

there is tricks you can use in forums to keep build threads decluttered.....

one way is to say; make build thread here in RV area...... and have it be nothing but a synopsis of each phase of the project and, lot of pics .... along with a note at top of the build thread.... "MORE DETAIL ON EACH PHASE of this project will be placed in matching forums as I go along". Thus each new post you add into the build thread ends up being a "phase" of the project.. The build thread one might update or re-wrte synopsis occasionally. Makes logical since cause you learn new things in the discussions of each phase ..... and may want to include it in your synopsis.

AKA break the build into chunks/phases.... provide a link in a post in the build thread to where you created a discussion on each phase. example.... say the paint job.... this SSoldiers board actually has a paint and body forum... you could do all that body work discussion in a thread(s) you created in that PBdy forum.... do all discussion on that part of the project in a thread(s) you put there.

In the meantime in your build thread @ the RV forum.... you putt the note in the post about the Paint Body phase . "WON'T ANSWER Questions here... go to provided paint body link for that." " Rest of that post being a synopsis " w/pics ... and of course the links to the nitty gritty discussion that occurred in the paint and body forum".

repeat for another phase... say the engine work or trans work.. Put some pics in a post in your build thread; again with a note of.... Won't answer questions here..... THE DISCUSSION and more details are found at (provide link). In that phase the FMTV forum might be where you put post up for getting into the nitty gritty of engine/trans stuff. . Sorta makes since cause engine/transmission knowledgeable people are more liable to hang out there anyway. They may never come to the RV thread so you would have missed their advise if you had kept everything in the RV forum.

sounds really complicated to do but honestly its not..... just takes lot of written words to explain above idea.... (and I probably failed miserably trying to explain it.) It is actually simple to do it.... with a little fore thought .

Guyfang could help you do it. give him a list of post #'s from this thread to move to the paint body forum. That will renumber the post in here. Then repeat for moving other post to other forums. Once everything is sitting in its best forum... create your build thread here..... with synopsis, pics.... and the links to where you and Guyfang moved each phase's "discussion".
Yeah. I track what your saying, I really do ( two CS degrees, retired IT, system admin for 12 years, web designer, help desk, and moderated untold tech forums).

Or I can just hold discussions here and document the build on a platform more suited for that type of publication.

I prefer the later...

Third From Texas

Bed frame is rebuilt. Included access to get to tank, fittings, pump. Still waiting on the sliding door track that will cover the opening right of the tank (I have military footlockers that fit under the bed).

Water tank has it's new home and ready to plumb. Pump enclosure is behind the tank to the left.

Inlets installed. Still need to seal with silicone. I'm looking for some type of "plasti-dip" material to coat the exposed foam just for safe measure. Need to find something safe that won't melt the foam, though.

20220724_165957.jpg

20220724_165950.jpg

20220724_164653.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks