• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This fell out of my transmission...

Cletus09

I'm sorry I do not currently have time to upload picture or do any of my own research.

Something that looks like the freeze plug out of an engine block fell out of the TH400 tranny in my dads m1008. We were just doing some minor stuff around the yard and we found a red spot in the snow with this freeze plug looking thing. I have not yet personally been up under the truck to see, but my dad said that the plug came from the posterior end of the tranny. He suspects that it is a port for a spedo cable, but neither of us have a ton of transmission experience. Is this something we can just clean up and pound back in? We kinda need to get it back up and running ASAP but we can live without out it for a little while.

He's also looking for a 700r4 to swap in, but we don't have the funds for the project right now. So tha transmission is really only going to be in the truck until we get around to the swap. (which who knows how long that could be :???:)

Thanks for any help and sorry for not doing my research.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture please , so we can narrow it down , could be something simple or maybe not .What kind of fluid is leaking ? trans , engine , coolant? Does it leak while running ? You need to start with the basics and go from there . TM TIME !

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No time for a picture!
We kinda need to get it back up and running ASAP but we can live without out it for a little while.
How long would a simple picture take?

Without one, all you'll get are guesses.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Governor cover is my guess.
Ditto on that.

Crawl under and see where it came from, there's gonna be a clean spot the same size as the piece you found.
Should take you all of 30 seconds. ( Less time than it took to post your question)
No don't pound it in, IIRC it should have a spring clip in the shape of a C
Every Trans shop should have some around.

Never saw a 1/4" pipe plug that looked like a freeze plug
the Red spot's a pretty good clue that it's trans fluid

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

My guess is the little tin hole cap with 3 leg prongs...there is a small approx 1in and large approx 2in

I spent time under my Suburban and know the holes well now since I needed to replace a trans in the driveway

HOPE I WIN SOMETHING IF I AM RIGHT!!!!

EDIT...maybe I lose....I have a full bell housing from 4L60E in a 98.....BUT a good guess none the less!!!!:roll:

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP hasn't been on since he posted this thread.

blackhueys

come on guys we all know what it is its the part next to that other part thats a bit shiny near the bottom top half of the transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks