• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This one goes out to the newer guys looking for their first deuce...

datsunaholic

how much trouble is it to get a title if it does not come with one
That depends entirely on your State. It's never entirely easy, but it's possible in some States (that's where titles go to get "title washed" when they have "issues") and impossible in others.

Some Southern States (or at least Georgia) don't even require a title for vehicles over 20 years old. Dunno how you prove you own it. Kinda makes me wonder how you can re-register a 30 year old car that was bought in Georgia then moved to another State.

If you live in many NE States, or States like Washington, it's next to impossible to get a title if you don't have one. An SF97 is as good as a title, but it must either be in your name or "reassigned" to you. Problem is, if someone is selling a no-title rig that was surplussed and they didn't get the SF97, you won't be able to get the SF97 because you weren't the buyer. Pretty much the original buyer has to get the SF97.

Some States allow "bonded" title services, I know NY doesn't. Title services aren't cheap. I scrapped a truck (not an MV) because I lost the title (I hadn't transferred it; accidentally recycled the title the day I got it) and didn't know the name of the person(s) on the title. It cost more to do a title transfer service "Wash" than the thing was worth. Ended up being cut into very small pieces just to dispose of it.

GottaHaveOne

NY does not and will not issue an title for any vehicle older than 1973, you can register a vehicle with just a bill of sale(it must also acceptable VIN number), aslong as the vehicle is not reported stolen or somthing is fishy with the vehicle in the DMV computer.

I have found http://www.dmv.org/ to be a great starting place to try to decipher the myriad of laws that cover vehicle registration and titling.

Three things I have found to be absolutely true in all cases.
Go in person to "headquarters", Be Persistent nicely, Have Patience.

If you think about it, the folks on the other side of the counter deal day in and day out with people trying to "put one over on them".
Be the honest ray of light that brings them back to their humanity, and maybe, just maybe they'll see the light and work with you.

If that doesn't work .. come back another day and talk to another person.

Regards,
Rick

unclemikey

Two points.....

#1 Snakeater, can you still get a good nights sleep ?

#2 Both Gl and private party are good, depends on the price, the truck, the location, cost of recovery ect. Private party is always more up front with info on the truck, that also is of value. GL could care less, you never go to pick up the truck from a private party and find parts missing or fork lift holes in the vehicle ! I have had good deals from both. like the first sentence says, depends on the deal.

KaiserPinzer

I'll agree with Firefighter294. Just went to the local county DMV yesterday to get a temp. registration. Worst day of the month as last day to get regular renewals and was the only office in the county open--budget cuts--and I showed up at 3:30pm. Waited about 40 minutes, got a very pleasant woman who had had a long day. Made a comment about how she must be ready to get out of there for the weekend in only a couple hours. Great rappor and she helped me for about 20-25 minutes explaining how to get the vehicle fully registered and titled (waiting on the SF97.) In person, personable, friendly and respectful of what her day must be like with the chaos. Ended up getting a temp. regis with the GL invoice, some pictures of the truck, insurance proof and a copy of the GL listing page to show the vin, etc for reduncancy. Nothing like in-person.

snakeater

unclemikey.........I sleep pretty good these days. I simply made my needs clear up front and we came to an agreement on price of the deuce. The guy i purchased mine from isn't trying to make a killing on the military vehicles he sells. I am sure that he makes a profit on them, but not exorbitant. He sells MV's in addition to running an offroad store, so it isn't his primary means of income. Plus he is a really good person to deal with and is very accomodating. Like I said before he has several others without winches in the 2500 range if anyone is interested, and I am sure he will be just as good to you guys as he was to me. This is my first deuce and it has definately left me wanting more. I am looking at building an RV out of a 109 or something, so that I can tow my shorty around and have a place to hide out. Just something that I am thinking about right now. But I am surely thinking hard. Deals are out there everywhere, you just have to be in the right place with cash in hand. Hard to get a deal on something you are not prepared to pay for at that moment. If you truly want something, then go after it and offer what you are prepared to pay, and also be prepared to pay that price on the spot before minds can be changed or better offers made. That is my philosophy. Snakeater2cents2cents2cents

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi!

As a newby, I am very interested in this thread, as the subject is exactly what I am encountering in my search for my first truck.

As an active buyer, I look to GL because I cannot imagine that any private party seller can justify the $2-6k premium I see on trucks in the SS classifieds. Are any private parties providing a written warranty? I don't think so. Putting air in the tires, adding fluids, changing wheel cylinders and filters are things I can and want to do to get familiar with the truck and it's needs.

Anyone who thinks they can get $3500 for a truck that can be bought and prepared for $1500 just isn't getting off SS often enough to see why this is a topic of discussion.

Private party businesses might be able to cite their business overhead expenses as means for justifying a price premium, but even if they offer a bullet proof warranty, I'm still not convinced there is enough added value.

I don't believe I am a special case, in fact my voice on this subject is probably very representative of most first time duce buyers: I'm careful with my cash, I have some mechanical abilities and I want to get the most for my money.

The discussion of title is somewhat a side issue, being something worth about $500 to me as added value. Any more than that and I'll do it myself.

The risk/reward for going GL cannot be tipped towards private party for me until I see something like a $500 to $1000 premium, considered normal for flipping. Given my explanation, the private party price of a garden variety drivable M35A2 should be in the $1500 (w/o title) to $2000 (w/title) range for me to consider.

So for me, I'm a future GL customer, until I see something differently for myself in the risk/reward ratio.

Rick

WTB: Drivable M35A2C hardtop w/title. Budget: $3500

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I wouldnt buy a truck without a title also . Trailer maybe .

Buy from well known people on SS or at companies , I got bit from 2 people on here, one a long time ago and havent seen him since and the same from the other. Guess I didnt do my reserch

Mike_Pop

Just adding my 2 cents:

I've purchased an M1009 and an M35A2 from Bruce Kubu. I spent much more on the M1009 than what most private sellers were asking. However, I got the peace of mind knowing that the truck had been gone through, fixed up and it came with a title. Bruce did all the work of getting it from GL. I didn't have to wait for someone to send in their SF-97. The same with the M35A2. I bought it from Bruce and he handed me a title. No waiting, no worries.

As far as vehicles are concerned, Bruce has some of the nicest ones out there and I would never hesitate to buy from him again. He's a straight shooter, honest, and really cares about the hobby and the people involved in it.

Also, a fellow MV collector once said, "If someone is selling a military vehicle without a title, I consider it worth nothing more than parts." Wise words.

Once again, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

smoothnu

I think it comes down to what the individual wants or needs or expects. If I am the customer I get what I want or I walk...period That being said; I have been driving mine for a long while without a title. I have ten days from purchase to get a license plate. When or if I get pulled over guess how long I had the truck. You guessed it. 3 days

Sumoman

I had to go the GL way. I bought a 1966 rebuilt M35A2 for $1142.90 and that I cannot beat. Sure it may have a few issues but I highly doubt it. I bought a vehicle that was used by the National Guard, only 23,000 miles and looks clean. (picture below)

Now that being said I also have to line up a tow truck, prepare fluids, and bring it all with me in case it does not start.. But frankly the auction was fun, and I have had GREAT luck buying from GL in the past.. mostly because I really pay attention to the lots. I would recommend GL because you are going to have to learn how to service your truck anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing is that a title "may" be able to be acquired for the new buyer but how many people want to wait 4-8 weeks after they have paid for their M35 before they can drive it? Also, I see RCHALMERS3's location is Costa Rica, you may want to read the export rules if you are thinking of taking it out of the country. Me personally I would not buy one unless it was dirt cheap or rare without a title. (my 2 cents)

zb39

It all depends on the deal.....How close are you to the auction....hundreds of miles there and back.....i would rather get 1 closer.....$$$$ can always be replaced, time can't.....everyones situation is diff.....Good Luck and have fun:-D

Stonewall

When i got mine, the seller had to get a title for it. I paid just under $3000 for a good runner with a tarp. If the seller had not had good contacts and knowledge of getting things done with the trucks, i would not have bought. I say, get a title.