• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This site is like CRACK! So, I bought a 5 ton....

lindsey97

Question for M813rc: Would an ISO bed tire rack be easier to fit or modify to hold a 16.00r20? The reason I ask is that I have a M923a0 with 16.00's on HEMTT rims.

I am considering changing the entire bed out to an ISO bed. Seeing how the spare tire holder/davit is inside the bed on an ISO style, will a 16.00r20 be easier to fit in there?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I imagine a 16.00 would fit, but not without some modifications to the tire rack for the larger diameter. It is set up for a pretty tight fit, but could be adjusted.

The tire is held in the rack by a fixed block on the upper right (davit side) and the clamp arm on the left. The diagonal straps ahead of and behind the tire are bolted on, so could, presumably, be moved out.
The complete davit arm will not clear the top of a 16.00, but if you removed the outer section, as in picture 2, it might.

There looks to be enough room on the left side to clear the bed side panels. Pic 4 shows the size of the gap, but note that the left clamp was not in place when that picture was taken. Nor was the davit arm.

The photos attached are all for M813s, but the bed/spare mount are the same on the 939 series Marine trucks.

The MTVR has 16.00s stock, but uses a different spare tire rack mounted ahead of the bed on the frame.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom Thumb

My wife asked me if I needed to go to meetings just this morning... I told her they have one here in California coming up soon, in April. They call it a rally, but it could also be called green machine anonymous. :tank:

DWagg

BFR metals located in Salina, KS

I do not have his cell, wish I did as I may be going there this weekend.
Lindsey97 I wish I had seen this sooner :/ I couldve hit you up to see if you could bring one ISO bed side section and some fiberglass bows back to Okla & I could meet you on I35 somewhere on your way back. If you happen to see this before you go send me a PM

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rumor has it that tan is the cure for the "Green Iron Disease". Well so far I have bought 3 tan ones, and it's not working......
I like that!! I got the Green Disease back when I started and now I have a Tan one and it does not help at all. LOL

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813rc would you mind posting a picture of your truck with that tarp on it here please?
Not at all! :wink:

Mine is the camo one. It has stock height bows, so the tarp comes most of the way down the bed sides.

The overall green one was on GL some years ago, and had raised bows.

The rounded bows on the 813/939 series are different from the peaked tubular bows on the FMTVs, so the tarp always tends to look a little "shaggy" in fit.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

lindsey97

Lindsey97 I wish I had seen this sooner :/ I couldve hit you up to see if you could bring one ISO bed side section and some fiberglass bows back to Okla & I could meet you on I35 somewhere on your way back. If you happen to see this before you go send me a PM
We are going to glens the 15th or the 16th pm if you still need parts or contact 98g. Fuel money required.....

Tom Thumb

I'll talk with 98G. Is he going to be in OKC on the 18th? I hope we can meet up some day. Sounds like you've been on the go for most of the winter. Hope to meet you some day.

Thanks for picking those sacks up for me.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned previously, a while back my local Marine Reserve unit allowed me to do a side-by-side comparison of my M813 and one of their MTVR's. They even helped me try out an MTVR tarp on my truck to see if it would fit. It didn't.

Anyway, I ran across the diagram I did of the measurements of the beds, I'll attach it here in case someone is interested. Down the side, they are measured from the front of the bed to the center of the stake pocket. After the first two, they diverge rapidly!

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks