• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those military tires can kill you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reworked LMTV

I didn't take it as a statement that military tires were any more dangerous than any other tires of similar size.

As stated above, compressed air is stored energy. Released suddenly, it works just like any other bomb.

The military truck hobby tends to get people working on things that they otherwise would never come in contact with. The bolt together nature of the wheels makes it much more likely that mounting will get done by the owner. Many times, this is the first time these people have worked with anything like this. A healthy dose of caution will go a long way.

This thread certainly isn't specific to the lmtv, and would probably have been a better fit in the safety forum....where nobody would have seen it.
A very wise man here^.

Folks, if one person thinks twice before taking a chance, then my comments were worth it. I'm really surprised at the negativity here, but the World is a much more negative place today.

All I wanted to do is bring awareness.

Reworked LMTV

Anything can kill you, even water if you drink too much of it. Use your brain and personal protection devices and you'll be fine. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I was talking about the video you posted.
If you want I will contact OSHA and try get the data. I doubt they differentiate applications like military. Most military accidents likely are not publicly reported.

The other thing is the cost of a cage for protection. This is outside of the reach of most. May be best to hand off the tires work to the local semi truck place.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/Files/TireExplosionHazardAlert.pdf

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Because those of us who do know what we are doing take all precautions and have expierence and those who are novice or no clue at all should leave them alone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The novice and those with no clue at all *can* get a clue and gain experience, confidence and competence.

The likelihood of a tire exploding is fairly low in general. The precautions required are simple and can be accomplished by anyone.

Granted, the potential negative consequences are huge, but it just doesn't take all that to avoid them - a locking air chuck, and put the truck between you and the tire.

There are things that should be left to the professional (due to specialized knowledge or equipment) but this isn't one of them.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All I wanted to do is bring awareness.
That is something commendable, but that video as a warning was a poor choice(imho). Maybe next time you could use material that is directly related to the topic.

If you guys have no interest in hearing what I have to say, you can click on my profile and under my user ID there is a list of things you can do.

The third option is "add to ignorlist"
You will not see posts from me any more.

I feel this would be a good example of a quality thread(just as an example):
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?18810-Deuce-tire-rim-break-down&highlight=tires

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

That is something commendable, but that video as a warning was a poor choice(imho). Maybe next time you could use material that is directly related to the topic.

If you guys have no interest in hearing what I have to say, you can click on my profile and under my user ID there is a list of things you can do.

The third option is "add to ignorlist"
You will not see posts from me any more.

I feel this would be a good example of a quality thread(just as an example):
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?18810-Deuce-tire-rim-break-down&highlight=tires
No really, did you REALLY put anti-seize on the rim? Petroleum based Anti-seize? OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks