• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those military tires can kill you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that’s why I fill freshly assembled tires mounted to the truck, with a clamped on air hose using the regulator at the compressor to control input and final psi. If the tire blows the truck holds the rim from flying. But with our style of split rim with the 20 bolts holding it together and the bead lock, the probability of this is slim. The metal ring split rims.... yeah watch out for those. Those seating beads with ether have more guts than I, though I have been involved a few times growing up working on farms. One must not forget air pressure is stored energy.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With the beadlock wheels your risk of it blowing off the wheel is slim to none at best. Old Tires may explode but even new ones explode just as easy. Most idiots forget to take the valve cores out of the tires before they hit the split rim lock rings or remove the beadlock bolts. That is their own faults.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

With the beadlock wheels your risk of it blowing off the wheel is slim to none at best. Old Tires may explode but even new ones explode just as easy. Most idiots forget to take the valve cores out of the tires before they hit the split rim lock rings or remove the beadlock bolts. That is their own faults.

I note that sidewalls blow out too. Let me see if I can track down those sidewall fatality videos too. Steel belts can kill with ease.

I'm not trying to be anyones' mother. Lord knows we all have one (and one is enough lol). Just trying to raise awareness.

My inflation system has the has a locking valve attachment and the inflation control is spliced in to the air line about 6 feet or more away from the tire.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They take alot of beat to blow a sidewall in half. Hint of a blowout while highway driving with runflats. Airing them up you have a better chance of being hit by lightening and run over by a bus in the same day than the blowout while it airing up hurting you. Probably scare you bad enough to hurt you as you fall over something.

Reworked LMTV

They take alot of beat to blow a sidewall in half. Hint of a blowout while highway driving with runflats. Airing them up you have a better chance of being hit by lightening and run over by a bus in the same day than the blowout while it airing up hurting you. Probably scare you bad enough to hurt you as you fall over something.

http://www.wmur.com/article/1-dead-1-injured-after-tire-explodes-at-salem-auto-shop/5206922

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/Files/TireExplosionHazardAlert.pdf

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DocPA and I were installing 395s on LMTV rims. Upon inflation they kept making these ominous little noises. We didn't have a locking air chuck or a cage.

We decided to live until another day and loaded them up and took them to the tire shop for inflation. The tire shop did worse procedure than we were doing - the tire shop guy sat on it and held the chuck in place by hand.

Thankfully it was unventful.

wandering neurons

Note that in nearly every incident in the video, the tire or wheel blew sideways, inline with the rim, perpendicular to tread rotation, but the tread did not separate. Some of the clips showed the tire moving inline with the tread because of how the tire was placed or propped up.
When I was in the USAF, I serviced many different kinds of aircraft tires, from T-38 to C-5. And every Tech Order stated to clamp the chuck to the tire, make sure that your pressure regulator was set for just over max pressure, and stand inline with the tread of the tire, not beside the tire, while servicing. Rumor was, back in the early '80s, a young crew chief managed to kill himself by 1. not using a properly set regulator, dumped 3000 psi into a 150 psi tire, and 2. stood beside the tire while doing this. Cut him in half when the bolts holding the wheel halves together separated.

aleigh

Anecdotally, I've blown 4 LMTV tires. 2 were low speed off-road due to rubbing the side walls on hazards, 1 was highway speed on the road due to not-sure, I think a bad o-ring, and one 1 happened when it was just sitting in the yard due to sidewall failure. I go back later and huh look at that. All tires were at road PSI when they went.

Which brings me to the fact that I'm in the process of swapping all my tires to newer michelins from old goodyears (like 04-08 vintage according to the date code, which is on all tires). I am not trying to rag on goodyear but I think the sidewalls just weaken on the old tires. Although my on-road event was no big deal at all (front right) we all know guys have rolled LMTVs on blow-outs on the road.

That said - none of MY blow-outs were dramatic at all. They just split and all the air rushes out. Doesn't even make much of a bang. It seems to me the big danger isn't so much the tires as the ring on those older designs that didn't bolt together. The ring would embed itself in the ceiling.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 12.38.17 PM.jpg

dmetalmiki

When I worked for the forces, I saw (and heard!) at least three tires blow off the rings in a safety inflation cage. Scary. The young personnel fitting then were deaf for an age!. Luckily, nothing more...It was always the wheels from the 40-50 foot fifth wheel trailers that blew as I recall. I absolutely NEVER allowed the service guys to inflate them out of a cage..or, Unbolted from any vehicle. (though they sure wanted to, and would have).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wish folks wouldn't post ignorant threads like this.

I didn't see one motor pool in that video. How can you state those were military tires?

Reworked LMTV

I wish folks wouldn't post ignorant threads like this.

I didn't see one motor pool in that video. How can you state those were military tires?
Really? No deaths from military tires? None? Are you sure or are you getting awesome, as your avatar says?

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca007.html

h a testing program and that all training is documented.
[h=3]Introduction[/h] On May 25, 2005, at approximately 11 a.m., a 20-year-old apprentice mechanic died when the tire he was working on exploded. The CA/FACE investigator learned of this incident on June 23, 2005, through the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA). Contact with the victim’s employer was made on July 21, 2005. On July 28, 2005, the CA/FACE investigator traveled to the facility where the incident occurred and interviewed the company owner and other employees who were present at the facility when the incident occurred. Pictures of a tire and wheel similar to the one involved in the incident were taken, and the area where the incident took place was examined.
The employer of the victim was an independent water truck rental company which had been in business for 22 years. The company had 22 employees, and three of them were at the facility where the incident took place. The victim, a college student, had been employed with the company for two days, and the lead mechanic he was assigned to work with had been on the job for four days when the incident occurred.
The company had a written safety and Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) printed in English. The program had a procedure on tire changing that was task-specific for employees to follow. Safety meetings were held twice a year and were documented. The company did not have a documented training program. The training program consisted of employee orientation for new employees that was given by the company owner, and additional training as job duties or work assignments were expanded or changed.

[h=3]Investigation[/h] The site of the incident was an industrial park that housed a one-stall maintenance and repair shop and office that were the headquarters for the company. The tire size involved in the incident was 1,400 x 20. The wheel was two-piece, ten-bolt military rim. This type of wheel requires special preparation before the tire is mounted so that no air leaks will occur once it is inflated to the desired air pressure. All parts and components must be inspected and replaced if defects are found. The rim flange must fit securely once the tire is installed. An O-ring installed around the rim creates a seal where the flange mates with the rim. The nuts on the wheel studs must be tightened in a designated sequence in order to seal against the O-ring. Once inflated, the tire and wheel assembly must be inspected for leaks and if any are found, the tire must be completely deflated before the leak can be repaired.
On the morning of the incident, the owner of the company had demonstrated the proper safety procedure to follow when changing a tire on a military wheel. He then observed the lead mechanic change a tire and made corrections in his technique as needed. Later that morning, the lead mechanic told the victim to check the air pressure in the tire they had assembled earlier that morning, record the pressure on the tire with a grease pencil, and then stack the mounted tire and wheel in the rack. The lead mechanic then went to wash his hands and was walking to the rest room when he heard the sound of a pneumatic impact gun that is used to tighten and loosen the bolts on the wheel. Within a second of hearing that sound, an explosion occurred that shook the entire building. When the mechanic turned around he saw the victim lying supine on the floor. The office manager also came running into the shop when he heard the explosion. The paramedics were called, and they transported the victim to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
According to the employer of the victim and the lead mechanic, they believe that when the victim checked the air pressure in the tire, he detected an air leak around one of the studs holding the flange and rim together. The sound of the impact gun just before the explosion indicated that he probably was attempting to tighten or loosen one of the flange nuts. Inspection of the wheel studs showed all the threads were shredded off by the bolts when the tire exploded. Further investigation revealed that the wheels and their components were all bought at local auctions. It is not known whether or not the bolts and nuts purchased by the company’s owner were in compliance with the original specifications for the wheel. When the truck and components were bought at auction, they were purchased “as is.”
The safety factor built into most wheels is such that when one bolt should fail, the remaining bolts should be sufficiently strong to keep the wheel together. In this case that did not happen. Without having the original specifications available to ensure proper fit, there is no way to determine if the stocked bolts and nuts were appropriate for this type of wheel.

[h=3]Cause of Death[/h] The cause of death, according to the death certificate, was exsanguinations; lacerations of heart, liver, and right kidney; multiple rib fractures; and blunt force trauma.

[h=3]Recommendations/Discussion[/h] Recommendation #1: Ensure employees never perform maintenance or repairs on an inflated tire.
Discussion: The pressure inside a tire inflated to 80 psi exerts a force greater than 40,000 pounds against the rim flange. This is why all safety procedures for working on tires recommend always deflating a tire completely before doing any work on it. The general tire safety precautions the employer had for this type of rim specified “never hammer, strike or pry on any type of tire/rim assembly while the tire contains inflation pressure. Do not attempt to seat any part while the tire contains an inflation pressure.” Most accidents involving truck tires with split rims usually occur either during inflation, performing improper procedures as a result of mismatched or damaged components, or a combination. In this particular case, the studs on the rim that hold the flange in place were completely stripped of their threads when the tire exploded. This suggests that wheel components might not have met the original specifications for this type of rim. It is unclear whether this was a factor in this incident; however, the owner of the company admitted that he bought the rim components from an auction, and had no way to verify if they were of the exact specification required for this type of rim. When working with such extreme pressures, exact specification should be met in order to prevent such incidents in the future. When these safety precautions are followed, the chances of another incident occurring are greatly reduced. Employers can enhance worker compliance with safe work practices through programs of task-specific training, supervision, recognition, and progressive disciplinary measures.

Recommendation #2:
Ensure new employees are adequately supervised in the performance of their duties.
Discussion: Even though the victim received a job orientation, he had only been on the job two days and was relatively young, suggesting a lack of experience that necessitated closer supervision. The lead mechanic was new to the job himself, and the extent of his supervisory experience is unknown. Employers must pay special attention to supervision of new employees and ensure that those in supervisory positions have the appropriate training and experience to provide oversight to new employees.

Recommendation #3:
Ensure that after employees receive specific training, their achievement of skills is verified through a testing program and that all training is documented.
Discussion: Because of the extreme danger and severe consequences of improper handling of tires with multi-piece rims, all personnel working with these types of tires should be well trained in safety practices for work related to multi-piece rims. The employer needs to assure that each employee understands, demonstrates, and maintains the ability to service split and multi-piece rims or wheels safely, including performance of the following tasks:

• Demounting of tires (including deflation).
  • Inspection and identification of the rim wheel components.
  • Mounting of tire (including inflation with a restraining device or other safeguard required by this section).
  • An understanding of the necessity of standing outside the trajectory both during inflation of the tire and during inspection of the rim wheel following inflation.
  • Installation and removal of rim wheels from the vehicle.
After training is received, employers need to verify employees’ skills through a testing program. The testing program can be written, oral, or performed, as long as the employer receives verification that the employee has a clear understanding of the training received. [h=3]References[/h]
  1. California Code of Regulations, Vol. 9, Title 8, Sections 3325, 3326 MN FACE Investigation MN9208.
  2. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/99-110.html

[h=3]Exhibits[/h]
Exhibit 1: A front view of a truck tire mounted on a ten-bolt military wheel similar to the one involved in the incident.

Exhibit 2: A picture of a military wheel showing the rim and flange and O-ring.

Exhibit 3. A picture of a wheel stud involved in the incident showing all the threads flattened by the explosion.

Exhibit 4. A picture of the impact wrench used by the victim.

[h=3]California Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) Project[/h] The California Department of Health Services, in cooperation with the Public Health Institute and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), conducts investigations of work-related fatalities. The goal of this program, known as the California Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (CA/FACE), is to prevent fatal work injuries in the future. CA/FACE aims to achieve this goal by studying the work environment, the worker, the task the worker was performing, the tools the worker was using, the energy exchange resulting in fatal injury, and the role of management in controlling how these factors interact. NIOSH-funded, state-based FACE programs include: Alaska, California, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
To contact California State FACE program personnel regarding State-based FACE reports, please use information listed on the Contact Sheet on the NIOSH FACE web site. Please contact In-house FACE program personnel regarding In-house FACE reports and to gain assistance when State-FACE program personnel cannot be reached.
California Case Reports
[h=4]Get Email Updates[/h] Enter your email address to receive new reports/products.
Enter Email Address Enter Email AddressWhat's this?Submit

[h=5]Follow NIOSHFACE[/h]

[h=4]Contact FACE[/h] Nancy Romano, M.S., CSHM
FACE Project Officer
Fatality Investigations Team
Division of Safety Research
NIOSH
ndr4@cdc.gov
Press Inquiries
Nura Sadeghpour:
uvg2@cdc.gov
Stephanie Stevens:
yky0@cdc.gov

[h=4]Related Topics[/h]

[h=4]Follow NIOSH[/h]

[h=4]NIOSH Homepage[/h]

gimpyrobb

Anything can kill you, even water if you drink too much of it. Use your brain and personal protection devices and you'll be fine. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I was talking about the video you posted.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anything can kill you, even water if you drink too much of it. Use your brain and personal protection devices and you'll be fine. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I was talking about the video you posted.
Hes smart about tires cause he watched a youtube video gimp. Apparently he doesn't know how to use the search feature of steel soldiers for the 20plus threads on tire safety.

breaktime

I wish folks wouldn't post ignorant threads like this. I didn't see one motor pool in that video. How can you state those were military tires?
I wish folks were more tolerant.

I know someone who had a steering wheel lock ring fail due to corrosion. The old guy rolled his a 60's dump truck in traffic. He walked away.

I read a guy was welding a truck wheel, the air space filled with fumes and ignited, the explosion spit the tread in x pattern, one flap hit him on the head killing him.

I had what seemed like a left steer tire explode at 65 mph I-90, Amsterdam, NY, 4AM, single axle CH Mack and 45' trailer (common carrier company). I turned out to be not an explosion but rapid deflation caused by loose wheel clamps. The band rotated breaking off the index lug (by stem) then breaking off the valve stem. I was passing someone and had not used the brakes for over 100 miles so the problems probably took some time to come to conclusion. I mention it here because it came as a surprise and was a real handful to keep rig out of the median. The tire was in ribbons, the tread was off and wrapped tight around the tie rod end, there were tread marks on the outside of the fender. Anyways, I got paid to wait for service, read Steven hunters Point of Impact on side of road while the sun came up. The guy used ether. No cage. We did not sit on the wheel... I had him check the right side when he was done. The clamps were loose.

We had a driver get hit by a loose truck wheel from the oncoming traffic. Came thru the windshield (CH Mack) and smashed him in face and chest. He was hurt pretty bad but pulled over and stopped the truck.

I have other truck driver stories but will spare you all because they are not military truck driver stories.

p.s. The search engine here is over rated.

gimpyrobb

I wish folks were more tolerant.
We are, I have answered the same questions for decades.

If you look at the original post, the video has MAYBE one miliatry tire in it. Most are idiots doing things that are way dangerous. The video is a collection of bad things that can and will happen, but NOT miliatry tire related, unless you consider they are all round.

Compressed air is nothing to take lightly, often ending in rapid expansion if your not cautious.

I guess black tread matters.(gigitty)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't take it as a statement that military tires were any more dangerous than any other tires of similar size.

As stated above, compressed air is stored energy. Released suddenly, it works just like any other bomb.

The military truck hobby tends to get people working on things that they otherwise would never come in contact with. The bolt together nature of the wheels makes it much more likely that mounting will get done by the owner. Many times, this is the first time these people have worked with anything like this. A healthy dose of caution will go a long way.

This thread certainly isn't specific to the lmtv, and would probably have been a better fit in the safety forum....where nobody would have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks