• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Three phase / Single phase

Scoobyshep

Depends on how heavy you load it. Running 2 legs loaded heavily and 0 on the 3rd leg can cause winding damage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Does running an 804 wired for single phase damage the gen head at all?
Yes this can be used and safely, and has been suggested my words multiple small junk loads will help more than not. The CAUTION here is if you get anal and want 240 volts and not the 208 as normal, your 240 loads will work just fine, while your 120 loads will not be a worry for very long, first likely will be the smoke then the pungent smell, and that might not be the exact order, but my humor aside, most items unless of the newer universal voltage type will be melted and that will be it. So that returns us to your original question. If your load is a home with normal demands and a mix of appliances, dont fear for example electric water heaters, heating units or stoves will take a bit longer to reach temp levels, AC loads including hermetic compressors will not suffer. And remember if your load/s is some distance away measure your voltage at the loads or as close not let you voltage be determined at the generator set measurement point, and its here also you can cheat a bit more, seldom is the home really dead nuts see 120/240 most often more like 120-124 and 240-245 or abouts. OK enuff of my blab, get after it and lets hear how it goes..

Best: mac/mc

mlaxton

Yes this can be used and safely, and has been suggested my words multiple small junk loads will help more than not. The CAUTION here is if you get anal and want 240 volts and not the 208 as normal, your 240 loads will work just fine, while your 120 loads will not be a worry for very long, first likely will be the smoke then the pungent smell, and that might not be the exact order, but my humor aside, most items unless of the newer universal voltage type will be melted and that will be it. So that returns us to your original question. If your load is a home with normal demands and a mix of appliances, dont fear for example electric water heaters, heating units or stoves will take a bit longer to reach temp levels, AC loads including hermetic compressors will not suffer. And remember if your load/s is some distance away measure your voltage at the loads or as close not let you voltage be determined at the generator set measurement point, and its here also you can cheat a bit more, seldom is the home really dead nuts see 120/240 most often more like 120-124 and 240-245 or abouts. OK enuff of my blab, get after it and lets hear how it goes..

Best: mac/mc
So 208/240 items will do just fine? But items that run on 120 will burn up?

Ray70

No, I don't believe that is true. I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't see why you would have a problem with your 120V loads?
In a 208v 3 phase config. you still have 120V from each phase to neutral, but you will have 208v ( not 240v ) between any 2 phases because they are 120* apart instead of 180*.
This is assuming you are running the gen in low voltage mode, not high voltage.
So like Guy asked, what exactly are you trying to do? Just trying to utilize an 804 for an excessively overkill home backup power?
If so, there might be some load balancing that you can do to keep the gen safe.

mlaxton

Why don't you tell us what you are doing, or want to do. Then we can tell you if its possible.
I recently bought an 803a for my home and I am impressed with it. I live in south FL where hurricanes are just a matter of time. So I wanted to squire one for my business, problem is an 803 is not enough for my business. So I was going to use two 804 in parallel wire for single phase.

Scoobyshep

Appliances should be fine, they usually arent too picky about 208 vs 240.

What part of fl? Im near O town.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend a generator of the right type and size to do the job.

Paralleling two 804s then using them as single phase is not optimal. If you go with the advised derating you will be around 16kw continuous out of two generators. I'm sure you can find a civilian generator in the 20kw range for less $$ than buying two 804s.

Scoobyshep

West palm beach!, so TV, computer, won’t like it?
With the way its wound youll get 120 208 out of it. So all the 120 devices wont know the difference . The big things stove dryer etc will see a lower voltage but they are usually rated to work within that range.

If you need help with setup feel free to ping me.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
120 is 120
Look over your big electrical items and look at there plates. A well pump will say 208-240. A A/C unit might say 208-250, Not all electrical things out there, but, most of the items which want 240, might have a name plate saying it works with 208.

3 phase has 120v, and 208v, 60 Hz
1 phase is 120v/240v, 60 Hz.
No matter how you slice it, 120, is 120.

The problem comes down to your electrical service panel. Standard US service panel, 200 amps, 120/240. Every circuit breaker is different leg, so a dual pole breaker hits both legs, and whayla, it gets 240v .

If your at this phase and not understanding, maybe get a pro out to help you out. Electricity can kill you.

Larger US commercial locations are 3 phase. So a 3 phase generator would hook right into the service panels.
Commercial locations also require a proper generator attachment for service. Electrician involved.

Scoobyshep

Howdy,
120 is 120
Look over your big electrical items and look at there plates. A well pump will say 208-240. A A/C unit might say 208-250, Not all electrical things out there, but, most of the items which want 240, might have a name plate saying it works with 208.

3 phase has 120v, and 208v, 60 Hz
1 phase is 120v/240v, 60 Hz.
No matter how you slice it, 120, is 120.

The problem comes down to your electrical service panel. Standard US service panel, 200 amps, 120/240. Every circuit breaker is different leg, so a dual pole breaker hits both legs, and whayla, it gets 240v .

If your at this phase and not understanding, maybe get a pro out to help you out. Electricity can kill you.

Larger US commercial locations are 3 phase. So a 3 phase generator would hook right into the service panels.
Commercial locations also require a proper generator attachment for service. Electrician involved.
Not all residential is 120 240. I have worked in places that send 120 208 to residents

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
So 208/240 items will do just fine? But items that run on 120 will burn up?
No not at all, shud be just fine... I guess my post was hard to follow,.. left in the 208 range ur fine. and ur 240 appliances are fine .. it's when you adjust the output for 240 or abouts that your 120 follows near on a linear response.. do this measure your set 120 voltage at the 208 output answer ? 120 correct next with no loads applied turn up the voltage to say 225 and then measure your 120 .. you will get at or near 130 .. now go all in and read at 240 and your 120 will read ?? 138-139 am I making sense ..
Let me pester you as Guy asked several responses ago.. tell us what ur wanting to power or operate, it helps ..
thanx mac/mc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks