• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunderbird's M923A2 thread

Thunderbird

Regardless of my decision, Murphy will be at work. If I have it shipped, it will be in absolutely flawless condition and give me no trouble for at least 500 miles. If I go pick it up, the transmission will fall out halfway between Las Vegas and Kingman (precisely the middle of Nowhere!). As long as those sacks of gold don't blow out of the back before I get it, I'm all good.

M35A2-AZ, maybe you and Bravo should set up an SS Arizona rally? Show those Georgia boys how it's done? :-D Count me in!

plumkrazy

TB--great looking rig. Have you considered having someone to ride shotgun with you to pick up your rig? Then you'd have your tools etc. for the return trip, solder B in case Mr. Murphy shows his ugly head, and MOST importantly someone to take pictures of you and your truck on the way back. Any way welcome to the OD addiction. Regards

Thunderbird

Thought about that.

All my friends have desk jobs and loadout at Nellis is only allowed Tues and Thurs. If any of them were 'gearheads' they might be up for it, but sadly I'm the only one. Not really getting a lot of interest from them in taking the day (at least) off and following me on an adventure. Can't say I blame them!

Recently single. 'She' is definitely not an option. Told her last night, expecting the call from her lawyer this morning. :twisted:

Cousin in Vegas is a 25 year old typically glamorous female. She's no help (though fun to party with!)

My kids are 3 and 6. Love them to death, but they're useless when it comes to changing truck tires... :mrgreen:

Looks like I'll be doing this solo. Kinda leaning to the shipping option this morning, especially as I am so swamped with work. We'll see where the day takes us!

goldneagle

I got another option for you. See if you can get a SteelSoldiers member to meet you at Nelis with tools and fluids and do the pre-trip with you. At least that way you know the truck is ready for the trip.

Another idea is to stop at a truck stop close to the base and have them go over the truck for you.

Thunderbird

Thanks, GE! Haven't been on the site long enough to know any SS members in Vegas, but I'm liking the truck stop idea. Why didn't I think of that. Hmmm...

Thunderbird

Well, it's shipping. Be here Saturday. Yeah! $1,500 but absolutely no stress on my part and no time off work. Money well spent, I think.

Next time, with a little more knowledge of these vehicles (and hopefully a little less stressful work life) I'll do the recovery myself. Oh yes, there will be a next time... :-D Haven't even gotten the thing and I already want another. Funny, the same thing happened with potato chips...

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, I think that is the best in your case. Who did you use for the shipping?
Your next buy will be soon I can tell....[thumbzup]

Thunderbird

Jon, I think that is the best in your case. Who did you use for the shipping?
Your next buy will be soon I can tell....[thumbzup]
Hotshot Transportation Company. The fellow that owns it (Eric) is here on SS under the username 'heavy'. I haven't talked to him personally, but his office assistant Michelle has been very nice to work with so far. It won't be Eric delivering my truck, rather someone that Michelle is familiar with (in essence, Hotshot Transportation is simply acting as my broker in this case). I'll get the driver's name when I see him on Saturday and report back on the service I received.

And of course, take lots of pictures! Thanks again for your offer of help, Albert, I really appreciated it.

Thunderbird

It's here! I'm on my iPhone and it's dark, so no pics till tomorrow. Overall very happy. Canvas top is separated from its plastic retainers at the windshield. Something is up with the brakes (like pedal almost to the floor before it starts slowing down). Glad I had it shipped. It was dropped off about two miles from my rural home. I drove it the rest of the way at about 5 mph. BIG turning radius... CTIS is out, but I could tell that from the video in the auction. Overall really good condition from what I could tell in the dark. Super excited. Just want to play with it all night. Must go to bed!!!

mcmullag

Congrats. I had the same thing happen with the leading edge of the cab cover on the drive home, so did a buddy. I used gorilla glue, clamped a 3 ft long 2x4 on it for about 6 hrs then spray painted over the glue runs and expansion that were showing as yellow. Glen M 923a2 & Jay M925a2 002.jpg

Thunderbird

Updates on the truck

Hi All,

Wanted to provide some updates now that I’ve had ‘the beast’ for a week and a half.

First off, I love it! What a monster! Took it to work the other day on a three day restricted permit since I had to have an emissions test as part of the process of registering it. Everyone loved it. Got three offers to buy it. One very serious! My ex-Marine boss (who was wearing a nice suit that day) made me give him a ride around the plant site. Even our total-princess business development girl walked outside to see it (in her 5” heels, no less!). I’ve driven Corvettes and gotten some attention. I’ve driven built-out Jeeps and gotten quite a bit of attention. Driving the M923A2 brings “getting attention” to a whole new level! It was like a car show at every stop. Heck, I had a guy get out of his car at a red light and start talking to me. When I picked up my boy from Kindergarten the evening was what sealed the deal, though. The looks on his classmate’s faces was priceless! The look on his face was priceless. And now the principal of the school is talking to me about a ‘show-and-tell’ at their field day next spring. Life is good...

I’d mentioned a mushy-brake problem the night I picked it up, which seems to have corrected itself. I think that may have been my problem, actually. The driver who delivered the truck with his big RGN rig told me he ‘knew all about’ military vehicles. So when he said “push the little black knob in to release the parking brakes”, I believed him. Despite having read the TM a half dozen times. It was pitch black outside, and when I couldn’t find the parking brake lever (it looked to me in the pictures like it was left of the driver’s seat) I took the driver’s advice and went for it. Never mind the buzzer or red light. I assumed they were for the air pressure (which was at 120 lbs) and that the pressure switch controlling the buzzer must have been inop. After 500 feet at 5 mph (I was about two miles from home) I start smelling smoke. Uh oh! Process check! Yup, the brakes are smoking. So felt around in the dark, found the parking brake lever, released it, popped the knob back out. Hey, the light and buzzer go out! I think that the brakes just got so hot that they faded. Still mad at myself for letting that happen. I was totally flustered and should have been more thorough before trying to get back home. Live and learn.

The truck came with paperwork from Uncle Sam justifying the decision to surplus the vehicle. There were 4 line items.

1. CTIS inop. Yep, agree with that one. Already disconnected the computer. The truck had a flat when it was delivered. Filler hose on the flat was finger-tight. Tightened it on the RGN and filled with the compressor in my pickup. Doesn’t seem to be losing air anywhere now.
  2. Rt boot bad. Hmmm, if they mean the passenger-side dust boot on the front axles, maybe. It’s got a tiny hole about 1/8” in it. Does not appear to be leaking. I’ll repair when I can.
  3. Rt door handle inop. Yep. Unless you push it in and jiggle it a little, then it works. I’d call that a ‘feature’... :lol:
  4. Heater blower switch inop. Yep. Haven’t verified it’s the switch, but no blower. That’s on my ‘to do soon’ list.
In addition to all that, I already mentioned the top being ripped at the front edge. Ghetto fixed with Gorilla Tape. There’s a hole in the radiator, but it does not appear to be leaking. I’ll keep an eye on it. The steering wheel is cracked. Actually, it’s turning to powder. I put on a wheel cover from the truckstop, and I’ll see about ordering another steering wheel soon. The parking brake light (which worked on day one) seems to have stopped working. Wonder if I burnt out the bulb? The buzzer is still working, though.

Besides those very minor issues, the truck is just about perfect. New engine (dated 2008, but looks amazing). New tires (also with a 2008 date code on). Fresh paint. All the hoses look new. Complete set of tools (new, of course) in the tool box. Driver’s glass has a tiny little chip in, but no biggie. All the fluids look new. Tranny is maybe a little too full, but the fluid (motor oil) is perfect in it.

Driving it is a blast. I accidentally flattened a mesquite tree on my property the other day. It was dark, and I was backing up. Knew the tree was back there, but thought I’d cut the wheel enough to clear it. Pitch black outside again. Never even felt a bump, but the next thing I know there’s a tree in my mirror. Nine inch diameter trunk on the tree and it went down like nothing. Not even a scratch on the back of the truck. I spent three days removing 20 trees from this property three years ago. If I’d had this truck, I would have flattened every one and been done in a half hour… Not terribly sad about the tree. Very excited about my new tree removal vehicle.

For all who are wondering, the sandbags were indeed full of gold coins...

Probably the most spectacular endorsement of all: After spending an hour screaming at me about how utterly stupid and irresponsible I am socially, fiscally, and in virtually every other manner, the mother of my children said, “Well, it is kind of cool”. Yes. Yes it is…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks