• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chain question

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0013.jpgThe hook, about 42" long, made from 3/8 round stock, is standard equipment ( also a scoop shovel), on my vehicles. Its used to reach out for something, like pulling the inside chain rail between the tires, to get it hooked. Chaining up, should be practiced some. The best advise is "when in doubt, stop at the bottom and chain there". Spinning out is not the issue, its sliding off backwards. Your side rails need to be just long enough, to get them hooked, but not too long. I would carefully place them over the top of the tire, slightly off center, to allow me to pull the center rail between the duals & get it hooked. Hook is the key word. You don't want a cam latch there, but a hook, also on the inside rail. Then when you latch the outside, you take up the necessary slack. We don't run tighteners - they are not necessary, and take up too much time. When going to the Beach (Prudhoe Bay, 518 miles), we had real hills - 11 & 12%. Federal Highway Standards are max of 6%, and that is rare. All the Hills had names , like Finger Mtn., Ice Cut, Roller Coaster, Beaver Slide, and so on. With chaining conditions, you would chain for each hill, then take them off to run the flats, so you got good at it.

Special T

There are some really good points here and I will add a couple of mine.
1 get the inside chain tight the outside of the chain is easy to adjust. Driving a SHORT distance (50 yards) will loosen things up so that you can re-tighten.
2 Bungees are good put properly tighten chains are better
3 That hook in Rosco's pic is a GREAT idea for more than just chains.
4 PRACTICE In your driveway when its warm and not snowing /raining! Its always harder to do when your fingers are freezing and weather sucks.

My Preferences
1 During chain season I carry a 2x6 to drive the inside duels on to. It makes it easier to install and get on tight quickly. Especially if your just doing 1 axle/2 tires
2 I ALWAYS drive 50 yards and check with traditional ladder style chains unless the cam Cam Locks (which your dont) its near impossible to get tight enough on the first install
3 On most truck chains there is a u shaped hook that attaches the cross chain to the side chain. You should be able to see the ends of the U fold around the chain facing away from the outside of the tire. This is easier on the tire

Carlo

View attachment 538100The hook, about 42" long, made from 3/8 round stock, is standard equipment ( also a scoop shovel), on my vehicles. Its used to reach out for something, like pulling the inside chain rail between the tires, to get it hooked. Chaining up, should be practiced some. The best advise is "when in doubt, stop at the bottom and chain there". Spinning out is not the issue, its sliding off backwards. Your side rails need to be just long enough, to get them hooked, but not too long. I would carefully place them over the top of the tire, slightly off center, to allow me to pull the center rail between the duals & get it hooked. Hook is the key word. You don't want a cam latch there, but a hook, also on the inside rail. Then when you latch the outside, you take up the necessary slack. We don't run tighteners - they are not necessary, and take up too much time. When going to the Beach (Prudhoe Bay, 518 miles), we had real hills - 11 & 12%. Federal Highway Standards are max of 6%, and that is rare. All the Hills had names , like Finger Mtn., Ice Cut, Roller Coaster, Beaver Slide, and so on. With chaining conditions, you would chain for each hill, then take them off to run the flats, so you got good at it.
Are you one of those ice road truckers? We get this program on discovery channel here in Italy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but I was doing that stuff, before they Glamorized It, on television. I never ran it much in the summer (too dusty, and my truck didn't have AC), so I couldn't keep the dust out (or the mosquitoes). The first few times I drove it, was during the construction phases, in an old M211, pulling a 105 for the gear. I had racks on it & hauled a Guides mules up to Pump 3. Those early trips were in late Fall, but when I picked him up, it was winter then, and it was well frozen. Speeds less then 25 MPH, is spin out time. So with the 211, you had to be pretty careful.

Jericho

I run chains all winter, the trick is to get them tight, I usually air down , install tight , air up , there is a handy dandy tension jack made by farm lift to tension, and MAKE SURE YOU STOW YOUR REMAINING CHAIN ENDS, DONT LET THEM JUST FLING AROUND, small clevis does the trick. I keep it under 40 mph and check them every week or so, you can tell tension just by glancing at your chains

fireball

I am too old for this stuff. In the good old days, we used strips of old inner tube for tensioners. Of course, it wasn't a trip unless you had a flat tire along the way. And you don't know what a tight chain is until it wraps itself around the axle after it breaks the brake line. And the only place you can find to hacksaw the chain off either involves a 3 inch puddle for you to lay in or spray from passing trucks hitting a pothole. Seems like all the trucks in the north country were carrying spare parts in 1/2 of their cabs

Artisan

Why not just cut tails off?
There gonna be the same if all tires are the same like
they are supposed to be on an all wheel drive truck yes?

I will say it again, look REAL HARD at the rubber chain tighteners
Uncle Sam's is selling. They are NOT bungies, they are a rubber
circle just like a GIANT O Ring w/ clips. The rubber is like 1/2" THICK!

rustystud

There the same thing we use on our busses when we have to chain them up. They work good. Only last a couple of years though. Get spares.

Bill W

I had already had some of those o-ring style tensioners save in my wish list on Amazon ( Made by Security chain co. ) I don't think I'll wear a set out anytime soon ( probable rot out before they wear out ) so I went and ordered 6 of them that and I will move one of the cross chains back one link just to have the extra bite if I need it. I will also trim the extra links down being I doubt I'll ever switch to larger tires. Thanks very much for the input guys

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks Artisan for the link and tip to Uncle Sam's for the tighteners! However, I'm a bit confused by their description:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Tire-Chain-Rubber-Tighteners-New-p/6198.htm
"For Truck Tires 18" & Larger"

I don't know about you, but I don't consider an 18" tire a "Truck" tire, so I can only assume they actually mean the wheel (aka rim)?

I have 43" 11.00R20's (20" wheel) - so provided the above link actually refers to the wheel, I assume those tire chain tighteners would work?

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks