• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chain question

Bill W

I'm a old Florida boy so this is my first time putting on tire chains., I still have some slack in the chain but I have it hook all the way up to the last link...did I get it right?? I plan on running ( if ever necessary ) single chains on the outside rear tires ( as per Georgia ) and on front steer tires. thanks

Attachments

rmgill

I have run chains in snow/ice conditions here in Suburban Atlanta 2 times now. If you want to add some tension to thing your inside hook is partly the critical point. In theory everything then on the outside should be tight. But since our tires are a bit hard to deal with and there is expansion under running, some additional tension may be necessary. Some heavy rubber bungies added crosswise on the outside works well. Just be careful to make sure that the hooks do not rub your tire side wall.

Bill W

Rmgill
I can find no mention of the military using tensioners on these deuce tire chains so I'll assume that from personal experience you guys also recommend adding bungee/tensioners?

Bighurt

Rmgill
I can find no mention of the military using tensioners on these deuce tire chains so I'll assume that from personal experience you also recommend bungee/tensioners?
It is possible to install a tire chain assembly on any tire without a tensioning device properly however it's very difficult. The tensioner merely ensures a properly installed tire chain stays properly installed.

Tire chains should also be checked ever few miles, particularly if you are on patchy ice or drifted snow. Each contact with the ground wears the cross chains and sets the chains. After a 1/2 mile you should stop and adjust the chains and every few miles after that. You should also take care to ensure the hooks are out on cross chains and tensioners. And it goes without saying the spikes go out on cross chains.

Bill W

Hmm
well as I mentioned, I've already clipped these on the last link and have yet to drive it anywhere so I might just have to move the one cross chain back a link or two in order to get more links to cinch up on. PS 323 states the chain tension should only be set by hand (no tools )

Last edited:

Bighurt

Agreed you shouldn't need/use tools, unless you prefer to jack the tire for installation. I myself rollover the chains.

Get the inside as tight as possible and then pull the slack to the outside and clip. The problem is caming over the outer clip, often there is some slack remaining which is what the tensioner takes care of.

View attachment 537836

I agree too. I think you need tensioners like mine.
OK so tensioner as in bungee cord(s)
Take a look at the picture Carlo included, the chain that goes across the tire should have a spring on it to apply tension. Bungee cords would work if you don't have the other tensioner, but be aware that the hooks can be a pain and they don't like to stretch in the cold of winter.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, Looks like you will need to move the cross chain back 2 links at least. Get the chains as tight as you can then drive a few feet and tighten again. I have never used tensioner myself on truck tires. It will take a lot of tension to hold the chain tight as you speed up if it is not snug then it is installed and checked after a mile or so.

Bighurt

I prefer the heavy spring on chain style tensioner. The bungee cord style is light duty, for mom's station wagon or grandma's buick.

Artisan

The rubber chain tighteners UNCLE SAMS RETAIL OUTLET is selling are wayyy beefy.
They work very well with the 14:00R20 chains we are selling in the classifieds that
we are having a hard time keeping in stock...

$50 discount if you buy a 6 pack... ( I reserve the right to not accept this offer after 2 days)

I will ship but ...

I had the same problem with my new 11-20 chains. Buy or borrow a set of chain tools for big trucks. I cut off one cross link, re tension, then the chains were fairly tight. Loose chains will hit brake lines, trailer glad hands, and springs. Trust me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks