• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire davit woes

sed6

Tire davit woes *Resolved*

My tire davit is stuck in the closed position. The inner tube that extends out about two feet from the outer tube won't budge. It seems rusted in place from years of non use. I've flooded it with PB Blaster, banged on it with a hammer and even used a come along attached to a tree to try to pull it free. No luck. Any suggestions on how I can get it free?

IMG_1191.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
May not work for you but did for me. Tapped all over the outer tube with hammer, I undid the support arm and elevated it so it was pointing vertical pumped in PB at the outer end repeated a few times during the next 2 days. Put it back to the horizontal then a 2lb hammer and large drift punch smacking the inner tube though the open end (closest in pic) till it cleared the horizontal pin, more PB with it elevated, then back to level and used a pipe wrench on the exposed inner pipe and twisted back and forth plus a few more hammer/drift smacks till it came out. Ran the inner pipe in and out with lots of blaster, power washed all the rust stain goo out of pipe and back of truck, sanded inner pipe and then ran bottle brush covered with anti-seize through outer pipe

JohnnyBM931A2

While we're on the subject, can anyone post a good picture of what the davit is supposed to look like when everything is attached? I just bought a NOS chain hoist because mine was missing, and I am wondering how the chains are supposed to be wrapped, etc. I am also wondering if there are any other components that I need to buy.

therooster2001

While we're on the subject, can anyone post a good picture of what the davit is supposed to look like when everything is attached? I just bought a NOS chain hoist because mine was missing, and I am wondering how the chains are supposed to be wrapped, etc. I am also wondering if there are any other components that I need to buy.
I feel a TM comment coming, so here it is...

TM 9-2320-272-10 , Page 154.

tiredavit.jpg

You should only need the hoist and the tire chain as long as everything on the davit is there. It's a cool idea. The TM has perfect steps for the tire change.

On the OP's issue, I second Warthog's idea... Break the rust in a bath, and it should pop out of there. Unfortunately not from experience on the davit, guess I got lucky on mine.

JohnnyBM931A2

I knew I had seen a picture at some point, but I couldn't remember where it was. Thank you. That was one of the things I was curious about.. Whether the chain hoist chain was wrapped directly around the tire, or if there was a separate chain that is wrapped around. The picture shows that there is a separate chain which you also mentioned as being the tire chain.
Looks like I will need to pick one up. It also looks like I need to wrap the tire chain in something (or slide a rubber hose over it.) It seems like that would really screw up the finish on the wheel over time. I will also need to find a way to secure the loose portions of chain when not in use. I don't want them whipping against the back of the cab or constantly slapping against the spare tire. Since I have a tractor, and not a cargo truck, I can't just attach it to the bed. I'll have to figure something out. Thanks again for the picture.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The chain fall and tire chain are stored in the BII box when not in use, I have mine in one of the old style envelope tool bags.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When you hit on it with a hammer, use a 3lb to hit, a 8 or 10lb on the opposite side as backing, OR take Two 3lbs, one on each side, hit both sides simultaneous as you rotate the frozen item, moving back and forth along the length. The reason for this procedure is that you want the impact shock to stay IN the stuck item rather then through it.

Csm Davis

My tire davit is stuck in the closed position. The inner tube that extends out about two feet from the outer tube won't budge. It seems rusted in place from years of non use. I've flooded it with PB Blaster, banged on it with a hammer and even used a come along attached to a tree to try to pull it free. No luck. Any suggestions on how I can get it free?

View attachment 573930
Take it totally off and get a pipe that will slide through the center and is long enough to push all the way through and slide hammer it down until it comes lose.
Yeah I guess that makes more sense. It would look pretty cool to keep it on there all the time, but then again somebody could snatch it off of there when I park somewhere.
Many of the guys in service locked the spare on the truck with the tire chain and a padlock.

sed6

Come up with a fast and easy method then go into business.
your customer list would be a mile long.
(Sorta) glad I'm not alone on this one.

Thanks everyone for all the great input!

I think I'll try a more manual approach like hammering on the end first before removing it and trying some bath method. At work a colleague suggested I bathe it in evapo rust. I might try that. But removing it is a pain. Either the whole davit comes off which is going to be a pain to manhandled around and flip upside down to submerge it. Or I'll have to cut the top pivot pin to remove just the two piece arm and that'll leave me more work to replace the removed pin.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you hit on it with a hammer, use a 3lb to hit, a 8 or 10lb on the opposite side as backing, OR take Two 3lbs, one on each side, hit both sides simultaneous as you rotate the frozen item, moving back and forth along the length. The reason for this procedure is that you want the impact shock to stay IN the stuck item rather then through it.
I was going to suggest this same procedure, also as stated get the bar off and let the PB float down the tube for a bit won't hurt!

On a side note, we, since the 900's came out always stored the short chain in a locked BII box! You don't want to be stuck somewhere with out it!

And a "TIP" when you put the small chain around the tire for the chain hoist hook, make it as tight on the hook as you can when bringing the flat time back into the rack, and slack and the hoist won't go high enough!

Also there was an MWO on 900's to put a heavy chain around the tire and through the davit angle support and bolt it! This was in case the turn lock bolt broke! Which it did sometimes and you do not want the 400+ pound tire coming down on the highway, or anywhere for that matter! Anyone with a 900sr should have the extra security!

Have fun and enjoy!

sed6

So I fashioned this up with some galvanized fittings from my local big box store. With luck this and some PB blaster and my five pound hammer will free it up. Wish me luck.20150806_225645.jpg20150806_223146.jpg

Csm Davis

(Sorta) glad I'm not alone on this one.

Thanks everyone for all the great input!

I think I'll try a more manual approach like hammering on the end first before removing it and trying some bath method. At work a colleague suggested I bathe it in evapo rust. I might try that. But removing it is a pain. Either the whole davit comes off which is going to be a pain to manhandled around and flip upside down to submerge it. Or I'll have to cut the top pivot pin to remove just the two piece arm and that'll leave me more work to replace the removed pin.
Only one bolt to remove the complete upper portion off the basic model

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks