• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Size Comparison 16 vs 14 vs 15.5

kurt802

great thread on tire sizes, thanks for the pics. anyone know how much these tires weigh on the HEMTT rims? are they 200lbs, 400lbs or more?

kurt802

thanks M1075. it looks like it will take three men and a boy to mount these tires. shipping on six would be big bucks, too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am selling my "RECAPPED 1600X20" MICH XL'S. I have 6 of them
Curious about the recapping id marking, there should be 4 letters, beginning with "R" and what is the date code for the recap? I'm not interested in the tires, just the information, please. The recap code on some of my 8x8 tires is "REOR" and the code seems to be nowhere to be found.

As a moderator, I need to remind you to use the classifieds....

Last edited:

canadian guy

so what I think I'm getting out of this tread is that on a bobbed deuce without a lift it would be fine to run 14R20 without issues?Or should one stick to 15.5R20?Because by the sound of it the 16 would be too big and could rub right?Is the 15.5 going to performed better for speed vs the 14?Thanx for clarification

mthullm54a2

I have a m54a2 with the stock ndt tires 11.00x20 I believe can I use 14r20 or 16r20 tires on the same rims they are the locking ring type and not bolt together also I put 35 series tires on my ford explorer and had to change gear ratios because there was to much strain on the transmission are there these same issues increasing tire sizes with these or are they able to handle it as is

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a m54a2 with the stock ndt tires 11.00x20 I believe can I use 14r20 or 16r20 tires on the same rims they are the locking ring type and not bolt together also I put 35 series tires on my ford explorer and had to change gear ratios because there was to much strain on the transmission are there these same issues increasing tire sizes with these or are they able to handle it as is
If you're going to super singles you want 2 piece volt together combat rims.

No changes need to be made to run them. Suspension and steering components are beefy enough to not be overstressed.

Your effective gear ratio will change obviously. With 16's, this will make for rather profound differences in shift point's and will rob low end power.

If you tow heavy or run fully loaded on hills you may want to think twice about 16's. 395s would make a good choice...

I wouldn't go with 14s. They're getting scarce and old.

CyrusAres

So my A3 has the 14.5's and are pretty much dry rotted. Everyone says to get 395/85R20. I have been to I would need to replace the rim because of the bead being higher(?). They say it will work with original rims but really can't go off road. Can someone give me the full scoop in writing please?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The A3 rims are whats known as an MPT style rim. 395s will work ok on them.

You don't want to use an MPT tire on a regular rim though! It has to do with the seating of the sidewall bead. I'm sure Gerhard will be along shortly with one of his diagrams. I know I've seen him post it before!

tobyS

Here is a 450/80/r20 for comparison. Sorry, sitting next to a deuce, my tire comparison sitting next to 14.00 on the 931 seems to have went to computer never-land. The 450 is the same OD as the 14.00 but is 16" wide. That's a 14.00 NDCC.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks