• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires, how cracked is too cracked?

Gunfreak25

Thanks for posting that Lavarok! 6 of mine fall into the acceptable range, the rest are bound for the garbage. Any idea what a guy can use old rotted military tires for? Flour pots maybe? :lol:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting that Lavarok! 6 of mine fall into the acceptable range, the rest are bound for the garbage. Any idea what a guy can use old rotted military tires for? Flour pots maybe? :lol:
An excellent use is Shooting Range Backstops, fill them with dirt and they will stop any rounds.

Shawn, I also have a 68 Firebird! I have Cooper Cobra tires on it from like the 80's or something, still work fine!
Oh im the guy most firebrid owners hate :) I mini tubbed mine and run 30x14 Mickey Thomson ET street radials, i built a 550hp EFI LS1 from an 01 Corvette i put in it and a 30 splined Viper T56 with dennys N20 driveshaft and 4.56 rear. i till to this day think 1st gen Firebirds are better looking than camaros. What engine are you running in your firebird? Mine was origionally an OHC I6 sprint car but has a 400/400 when i picked it up

DeucesWild11

Sounds fast but didn't understand most of what you said :D. I have the standard 350 but with a 4 barrel carb, aftermarket intake, headers and electronic ignition. Basically all bolt on stuff and all of which was done before I purchased it. It's fast but not that fast. Plus it's an automatic. I would rather have a stick in that car..:beer:

Sounds fast but didn't understand most of what you said :D. I have the standard 350 but with a 4 barrel carb, aftermarket intake, headers and electronic ignition. Basically all bolt on stuff and all of which was done before I purchased it. It's fast but not that fast. Plus it's an automatic. I would rather have a stick in that car..:beer:
Oh i took a 2001 Corevette engine (an LS1 5.7L 346cu.in) built it from the 320hp to 550hp horsepower, and took a 2001 T56 6 speed from a camaro, had D&D bore the casing and put a 30 splined main shaft into the casing from a 2002 dodge Viper. Much much stronger transmission. Also i had Dennys make the driveshaft and im running an 8.5" 10 bolt rear with 4.56 gears. Makes 550hp gets anywhere rom 18-26mpg, completely driveable and street legal asside from the 3" straight pipe exhaust i ran directly for the headers into a 3" x pipe and out the sides before the rear tires. it's pretty loud.

Im sure your firebird looks really nice, ive cut mine in so many places and still primer black because i keep just cutting and changing things.

DeucesWild11

Understood allot more that time.. ha ha.. Ahh mine looks OK. Want to give her a flat back paint job like my deuce.. Overall it's in pretty good shape but won't win any awards.. Here's a pic..

Attachments

Oh wow, that's in really great condition. Do you have any pics of your deice in flat black? that's what i wanted to paint mine in, or in rhino liner i couldnt decide.

I really like the flat black, i think ill shoot it in herculiner, its harder to clean but it touches up nice with flat black i you dont want to reapply the bed liner.

I think all the info on dryrot has been covered though. just think of an extended signature

DeucesWild11

Sure just get all the rust off first. I need to do the bed liner..well in the bed. I love flat black, it's so easy to touch up. I want to do the Firebird in flat back and the mustang in flat silver.. if I can get it.. My Mits Galant is almost flat black but that's because all the gloss black burned off.. ha!

FYI, I shot mine in Rustoleum Flat black from a quart at Home Depot.. There seems to be no UV protection in it as it is starting to chalk.. I got to get something better from a paint store.

panshark

Maddawg disposes of his tires just uphill from the rich folks. They might be in motion when he lets go...roflLike this kinda motion....roflall the way down the hill. Until they hit a wallaua I think the rich folks may not like it, but after Maddawg's left the scene, what can you do?fat lady sings

So Shawn, you have any dry rot on those 30x14 Mickey Thomson ET street radials??
Nope. I keep my Firebird parked in my enclosed car trailer so no sunlight gets to them. UV rays seem to be what breaks down tires. Thats why you always see campers, motor homes, boat trailers in storage with their tires covered.

Duce

Bias ply make great fire starters for wet & or green brush piles. Iv "heard" about 1/2 gal of diesel fuel inside one with an old rag parshaly sticking out "fuse" and u have a fire that will burn. Also several tires lined up on a shooting range aranged so that they r right @ the muzzle and u r shooting through the center reduces a lot of noise.(large suppressor) for folks that live in a communist state like IL. I'm in IN so after dealing with the fed tax stamp(200$) and wait (6months for approval) I just screw mine on the barrel. It's great to b able to shoot my .260 rem with out ear plugs. 300 win mag w/0 plugs to bout like a .22 hand gun n

DeucesWild11

Shawn, thanks for the sunlight tip, mine's inside too without dryrot.. Didn't think of the UV factor.. I got to go cover up the set of NDT's my Deuce came with originally. Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a couple tires come apart on the road, that were cracked when the trip started. They were on the rears, so it didn't matter too much, but like others have said, if DOT gets wind of it you will get tickets on the side of the road.

I was told this: if you can take a dime and stick it in the cracks on the side of the tire, and the crack is deep enough to hold it there, time to replace the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks