• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FL Title transfer problems!! please help!

KurtXavier

Hey Friends,

This is the original owner for BobWeb's Truck. My apologies for not joining the conversation sooner. I very much appreciate all of the comments and advice given in this thread, and I have been able to use a great deal of it while talking to attorneys in Tallahassee for the past few days about this titling and registration issue.

I have spoken to people from my county, Palmetto, Perry, and, finally, Tallahassee.

There is no reason, in my opinion, to call Palmetto at this time. If you get to the top of the chain there, you will speak to a man named Kemper McSpatin. He related to me that the decision is not in his hands, and he even made comments that inferred that he agreed with me and was also annoyed. However, Kemper said that if I could get his superiors to give him the green light, particularly a woman named Raina Wallace, he would be more than happy to release the hold on my title.

So, further up the chain in Tallahassee, I spoke to a seemingly nice guy names Laurence Gill. After relating my issue to him, providing the statutes and additional arguments, he said that I might be dealing with some bad information on the local level and that he would get back to me within two days. The call never came.

I call back two days later, and the secretary, named Lisa, who is actually really nice every time I call in, tells me that I will no longer be working with Mr. Gill; I will be speaking to Raina Wallace directly. I was then told to wait for a call from her by the end of the day. This call never came.

I figured that this is a high level attorney for FL during a pandemic: I can wait a day or two.

Three days later, I call back in to see if Lisa had forgotten about me. I was told I would get a call from MS. Wallace promptly.
Later that day, I get a call back, but from a different high level FL attorney.

I do not wish to disclose her name and contact information at this time, but she was able to tell me that this is a high level discussion taking place in Tallahassee presently; over the next 1-2 weeks, top state attorneys will be having closed door meetings to try and determine how to handle the interpretation and possible amendment of the law for military vehicles in FL.
I asked her what the conversation on the topic was looking like so far, and she said that, while there are some people interested in banning military vehicles outright, there were others, like herself, that thought it was tremendously unreasonable. I asked her if she would be in on the meetings, advocating the position in favor of military vehicle owners and allowing registration under the heavy truck designation, and she affirmed that she would be.
While I cannot determine if her statements and feelings on the matter were earnest, I did get a feeling that she thought this whole matter was ridiculous.
She then took notes of all my arguments and told me a few of hers. I asked for her information, and she obliged, telling me to send pictures of my truck to her email to help her show others in the meetings what they are deciding on.

If you would like to weigh in on the conversation, I may be able to provide her gov email, but I would like to ask her first if it is ok. I was told by Bob that there are some people in Perry that are rather interested in providing comments on the matter.
I will update you as soon as I know.

Hoping for the best,
K

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

some of these state dmv's don't know what they are doing . when i moved down here to N.C. went and reg. my two p/u ,s and car no problem. tried to reg. the beast and they would'nt accept the title from MA. even tho i owned the truck and had it reg. up there for 12 yrs. had to have the hiway patrol come and inspect the vin #. make sure it was'nt stolen. the trooper even said it was a bunch of bull. he liked checking the truck tho.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one big crock of, well, you know. Our Tax Collector is on vacation this week. He knows the drill because I got the same response when I tried to tag mine a couple of years ago here. He made a few calls to Tallahassee and got the correct information and issued my tag. Hopefully he'll be able to help, but when dealing with a bureaucracy, who knows? Kevin Vislocky with FMVPA was also a big help.

Bobweb

sorry for not getting back to you guys, I’ve been working on this daily.
I still do not have a clear answer for anyone. I do have a vehicle inspection scheduled for next Thursday august 20th. A guy from the palmetto Dmv is coming to inspect it in naples. He explained to me that Florida state doesn’t want people to be driving these vehicles on the interstate. Since I plan to use it for fire mitigation work, I’m hoping they will issue me a clean title. I will update ASAP after I speak w Mike from palmetto, fl aug 20th.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still do not have a clear answer for anyone. I do have a vehicle inspection scheduled for next Thursday august 20th. A guy from the palmetto Dmv is coming to inspect it in naples. He explained to me that Florida state doesn’t want people to be driving these vehicles on the interstate. Since I plan to use it for fire mitigation work, I’m hoping they will issue me a clean title. I will update ASAP after I speak w Mike from palmetto, fl aug 20th.
He's FOS. I'll be contacting my legislator regarding this. I advise everyone here in Florida to do the same.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happened?

Bobweb

I’m not so articulate so please bear w me.

we spoke our peace, inspector came
And was very nice/peaceable. We are in the process of (possibly) getting a clean title. Still a 50-50 isssue we can’t get a straight answer on. We have since lawyered up and have a great ex mil attorney who is well known in tally working on our behalf. Not letting this go, but they are giving me hell right now. Some unconstitutional things happening rn and we are trying to follow the law as is written. Be sure if you care about your rights regarding 5-ton, deuce and a half rights, you are asking questions in the state of Florida. There are some behind the scenes plays going on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one big crock of, well, you know. Our Tax Collector is on vacation this week. He knows the drill because I got the same response when I tried to tag mine a couple of years ago here. He made a few calls to Tallahassee and got the correct information and issued my tag. Hopefully he'll be able to help, but when dealing with a bureaucracy, who knows? Kevin Vislocky with FMVPA was also a big help.
What type of tag did you get a couple of years ago? Blue antique, former military or regular Fl. plates. As I said in the other thread I had no problem last month getting the former military tag on the 1088 but it has restrictions. I believe what we are looking at now in Fl. is the only tag we can get is the former military restricted tag. As said in the other thread I still have the 915 and 373 trailer tagged with the old blue antique tag that has restrictions. The former military and blue antique tag is for shows, parades and can be driven on the streets to get there. Title with the new former military vehicle is stamped former military and says nothing about off road only. Believe the OP will find he will get his former military title and tag but an inspection is required and will have restrictions. He will be able to go to shows, parades and such just not a daily driver. Now I have never had a problem driving around with the blue antique tag going to the grocery store or fuel station but I also do not use them as a daily driver. Seems like if you have a title stamped with off road only then it can not be used on the road and must be trailered to an off road or OHV park or property that allows OHV's. Do not believe the sky is falling down as of now in Florida.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you intend to use the truck for anything other than as a collectable vehicle that you use for parades or rallys, be sure and get a regular tag. RAYZER had a regular weighted tag on his deuce tractor for years. They cost more, but don't have the restrictions.

Bobweb

tow4, I agree. they keep steering me to a restricted tag, and it had a clean title/ regular fl license plate before I owned it and I do not see why I cannot have that now. I intend to use it for a fire mitigation business and cannot afford to be stopped by local/state cops every time I'm driving to and from a job. we have a solid attorney working on our behalf now so he said one of two things will happen:

1. he serves them with papers that say "your breaking the law as written" and they cave

2. they will be forced to give an explanation with actual facts and laws and not just feelings.

we shall see how it goes. ill keep posting as I know

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the statute as written says the vehicle is eligible for any Florida tag. I'm sure your lawyer is aware of this. Don't take no for an answer. Someone or some group doesn't like the law and is trying to preempt it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I had a regular Fl. tag on a MV a long time ago but I also did not tell them it was military. Just got insurance through State Farm not a collectors insurance policy, went to DMV asked for a weighted tag and got it. I tell you what even with my former military tag I will drive my truck when and where I want because this is Florida and that is what some of us do. The only reason I do not drive my MV's all the time for a daily driver. No AC, bad fuel mileage, slow and no Sirius XM. Now if they get hold of your title and it gets stamped / traded out former military then the former military tag might be the only one you can get. The reason Rayzor and myself got rid of the weighted tag was insurance went to high and some company's will no longer insure weighted MV trucks.

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tow4, I agree. they keep steering me to a restricted tag, and it had a clean title/ regular fl license plate before I owned it and I do not see why I cannot have that now. I intend to use it for a fire mitigation business and cannot afford to be stopped by local/state cops every time I'm driving to and from a job. we have a solid attorney working on our behalf now so he said one of two things will happen:

1. he serves them with papers that say "your breaking the law as written" and they cave

2. they will be forced to give an explanation with actual facts and laws and not just feelings.

we shall see how it goes. ill keep posting as I know

Thank you for doing this.

Bobweb

anyone out there have a 9 digit VIN# on deuce/5 ton ? is that vehicle currently licensed and tagged?

all of these issues I seem to be having keeps coming back to fact that my truck has a 9 digit vin.

if this apply's to anyone who is currently driving one, please let me know. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks