• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To lift a M1009

paramilusmc

So I called a pro-comp dealer today to price out my options for a 3-4 inch suspension lift for my M1009 Blazer. He had no idea because it was a diesel and apparently you need a heaver lift for diesels because (of course) a diesel engine is heavier than a gasoline engine.

Does anyone know what kind a lift would work best for this set up. I don't want to go over 4" of lift and 33 inch tires. Would also like this to be a suspension lift. Any suggestions for the board as to what would work best for my situation?

And if you would be so kind links help.

Last edited:

jimmy-90

Call off road design/ORD. is the best advice I can give anyone who is lookin to lift a full size chevy in the 3-4" range....They also won't be utterly lost or not know what you are talking about when you say it's for a M1009 CUCV.

powerhouseduece

Call off road design/ORD. is the best advice I can give anyone who is lookin to lift a full size chevy in the 3-4" range....They also won't be utterly lost or not know what you are talking about when you say it's for a M1009 CUCV.

:ditto:
BOO PRO-COMP!!!!

ORD will be your best bet or go with a BDS kit. The ord kit will give you the best flex and ride. BDS will give you a good ride and good flex, plus BDS has the best warranty.

Mudstone

shackle flip the rear and B52 the front. Cheapest most effective 4" IMO. DIY4x.com ORD and great lake off road are great sources.

simoncrk

I did a 6" lift on mine just the other day. I bought it used off of a buddy of mine. It's a pro comp susp lift. he had a gas motor in his, heres a pic. I can't tell the difference. My tires will be in fri. so don't laugh....:smile:

Attachments

84cucv1ton

i have 6 sets of tuff country spring. no broblems at all. i have tc HD on my m1008. great springs. bit more but ride and flex great. i have procomp on my shortbed. rides like crap. pretty stiff. good luck

Possumpolice

4" rough country on ebay with shocks, springs, pitman arm, and blocks in the back 340. ORD will end up 730. Apples to oranges I agree, and I would prefer the shackle reversal to the blocks, and I know it is supposed to be better quality, but 400 dollars better?

MudderMilitia

shackle flip the rear and B52 the front. Cheapest most effective 4" IMO. DIY4x.com ORD and great lake off road are great sources.
I wouldn't say cheapest. I have b52s on my trail rig and a long travel front driveshaft and crossover steering are a must if you plan on flexing the suspension at all.

I just received the last piece I need to lift my daily driver m1009. Im lifting it 4"s and putting 37" hummer tires on it. I went with 4" Tuff Country HD springs in the front, raised steering arm, ORD stainless brakelines, DIY4x shackle flip in the rear with Tuff country nitro shocks all around

burbn10

The 4" lift is easy as can be to do. Just need some jack stands and a floor jack or two. Especially if you do the rear shackle flip. I didn't have to mess with the rear axle at all. Just disconnected the rear stock shackle, cut it off, jacked up the truck and bolted on the new shackle brackets. Front is a little bit harder, but not by much. Remove 4 shackle bolts, 4 U bolts, 4 shock bolts, and the sway bar... Hardest part is the dropped pitman arm.

Check out my pic gallery on my profile. I have my suspension mod pics there.

burbn10

4" rough country on ebay with shocks, springs, pitman arm, and blocks in the back 340. ORD will end up 730. Apples to oranges I agree, and I would prefer the shackle reversal to the blocks, and I know it is supposed to be better quality, but 400 dollars better?
My last truck had nasty axle wrap issues when I was running blocks in the rear. The shackle flip greatly reduced it.

Possumpolice

How much did you end up spending total? I have decided to do it myself, so I have a little more to spend. I think I am goin the same route you are.

Midnight Rider

For those of you that lifted your 1009, have you noticed a big change in the performance of it? Did you also change gearing or the transmission? I would think that lifting the 1009 and putting on bigger tires would hurt its already weak performance.

MudderMilitia

Check the condition of your rear springs real good before you order the shackle flip!! I was installing the brackets on the truck and was hammering something when a piece of metal hit me in the head. I look up to see a piece of the leaf missing where it wraps around the bushing!! I go to the other side and it was cracked in the same place. So I had to buy new stock springs on top of the shackle flip. If your springs are bad, just get 4" lifted springs

burbn10

Check the condition of your rear springs real good before you order the shackle flip!! I was installing the brackets on the truck and was hammering something when a piece of metal hit me in the head. I look up to see a piece of the leaf missing where it wraps around the bushing!! I go to the other side and it was cracked in the same place. So I had to buy new stock springs on top of the shackle flip. If your springs are bad, just get 4" lifted springs
I agree with MudderMilitia about checking the springs first. All the pricing for the shackle flips and pretty much everything else is on www.offroaddesign.com. They are the ones who make the shackle flip. They have a link on the shackle flip page to an article on Colorado K5's site where they did the install on a Blazer. You can also get used springs off a late 90's pickup to get better ride and articulation. I believe the newer springs are 56" compared to your 52" springs. The shackle flip will work with either setup. You just swap the driver and passenger side drop brackets to use one spring or the other.

As far as prices go, they have a 4" shackle drop bracket for $189. With this you reuse your stock shackle with this new bracket. The road I went was buying the 2.5" shackle drop bracket for $189 and then the greaseable 6" rear super shackles for $130. This gave me 4" of lift with better flex. Braided stainless brake lines ran me about $100 for front and rear. The front springs I had gotten with a 4" lift kit, but I didn't think I was going with drop shackles when I bought it. I'd look for some seperate 4" lift springs for the front like Superlift HDs or Rough Countries. I have Skyjackers and they are alright. Would probably go Superlift HDs if I did it again. Dropped pitman arm was about $100. I also did the optional sway bar disconnect kit from Offroad Design. It is a nice kit if you want to spend the cash on it. ($100) But above all, get yourself some good shocks. I got those crappy Skyjacker Nitro shocks from that kit I bought, but I'm getting a set of 5150 Bilsteins in the near future. The Skyjackers just don't handle my giant axles and tires well. Finally, with your truck being a M1009, you may need to get some pinion shims to correct driveshaft angle. Not sure if you do or don't. I didn't need them on my M1008. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Good luck!

MudderMilitia

I agree with MudderMilitia about checking the springs first. All the pricing for the shackle flips and pretty much everything else is on www.offroaddesign.com. They are the ones who make the shackle flip. They have a link on the shackle flip page to an article on Colorado K5's site where they did the install on a Blazer. You can also get used springs off a late 90's pickup to get better ride and articulation. I believe the newer springs are 56" compared to your 52" springs. The shackle flip will work with either setup. You just swap the driver and passenger side drop brackets to use one spring or the other.
Just to clear some things up;
The following companies make a shackle flip:
www.offroaddesign.com
www.diy4x.com
www.sky-manufacturing.com
www.twiztedengineering.com

As for springs 73-87 1/2 ton trucks came with 52" rear springs. 3/4 ton came with 52" rear springs or 56" rear springs if they had the higher gvw package. All 1-tons have 56" rear springs. The 56" spring has an offset center pin so if you mount them with the long side to the back, your wheelbase stays the same but you may have to flip your shackle bracket side to side (depends which company you go with). 88-98 IFS chevys came with 63" rear springs. These will take more work to install if you want to keep your wheelbase the same.

As far as prices go, they have a 4" shackle drop bracket for $189. With this you reuse your stock shackle with this new bracket. The road I went was buying the 2.5" shackle drop bracket for $189 and then the greaseable 6" rear super shackles for $130. This gave me 4" of lift with better flex. Braided stainless brake lines ran me about $100 for front and rear. The front springs I had gotten with a 4" lift kit, but I didn't think I was going with drop shackles when I bought it. I'd look for some seperate 4" lift springs for the front like Superlift HDs or Rough Countries. I have Skyjackers and they are alright. Would probably go Superlift HDs if I did it again. Dropped pitman arm was about $100. I also did the optional sway bar disconnect kit from Offroad Design. It is a nice kit if you want to spend the cash on it. ($100) But above all, get yourself some good shocks. I got those crappy Skyjacker Nitro shocks from that kit I bought, but I'm getting a set of 5150 Bilsteins in the near future. The Skyjackers just don't handle my giant axles and tires well. Finally, with your truck being a M1009, you may need to get some pinion shims to correct driveshaft angle. Not sure if you do or don't. I didn't need them on my M1008. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Good luck!
Keep in mind that superlift and rough country springs have the highest spring rate out there so they will ride rough. I would go with BDS or Tuff country. Tuff country offers an EZ ride spring and an HD spring. HD is recommended if you have a big block, winch, heavy bumper, etc. I went with HD because of the heavy 6.2 diesel, dual cucv batteries, and larger diesel radiator