• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

to those of you who have changed tires

sewerzuk

I got the first one off with pallet forks on my kubota tractor. Hopefully I have the procedure down a little better now for the rest of them...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Want a tip?
Get an empty water bottle...you know, the plastic pint ones?
Fill it 7/8 full of warm/hot water, poke a 1/8 in. hole in the screw top.
Fill the rest of the bottle with your favorite liquid dish soap...I have found Polmolive works MUCH better than others!
Air down the tire, give the bead a good squirt of the soapy water mix and walk away for 5 mins, or, do multiple tires.
Go back to the first tire, lock ring up, on a piece of mud flap or carpet and use a good duckbill on it. After that side is off the bead, flip it and do the same to the other side.
I learned this trick from an old guy and it has worked very well, even on tires that have been on the wheel for 20 years.
I can get a tire dis mounted in about 5 minutes...even old ones.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
breaking them down is the easy part ( the right tools help ) i don't care how many you have done or how good the cage is airing them up is dangerous

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I took a bad rim, cut in quarters, set them on another rim and welded spacers on it. Now I just use that oversized rim to push down with the wrecker boom. I was able to completely break down 10 rims in just over an hour.

littlebob

I'm with WM. I've changed tires on a lot of things over the years, but big truck tires I don,t plan on doing but once for practice in an emergency, and I will do it it with the bare minimum of the tools I
would have at the time. anybody know what the bare minimum is?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
duck bill hammer and a couple of tire irons, and alot of sweat. Did ten a couple pf weeks ago for my CCKW with the above mentioned tools. Tires had been mounted 50 years.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've changed more split ring tires than I care to remember. I'll still do it when needed but they aren't as much fun as they used to be.

I would think the bare minimum off tools would be a bottle of soapy water, a duckbill hammer, and a prybar.

Just remember to be safe when airing them back up.

Sgt. Sam

Tires

Ya Im getting to dammed old Fight them big old tires. I takes them down to
godole lesswabs and let the young ones fight them while I supervise. Gets the job done quicker and a lot better on me!!

wsucougarx

I have removed my tires and rims and have thrown 10 mounted tires into the back of my deuce....by hand.....not to brag but show my stupidity. My back has been paying for it since then:sad:

Haggar

To break beads, I've always put a large piece of square steel tube on the tire just at the bead. Slide the tire under the bumper of the truck, use a hi-lift jack, base on the steel tube, and then jack under the bumper. The tire will break the bead before the truck is lifted. Haha, most of the time.

I run beadlocks on my off-road Jeeps, so I mount my tires by hand, its fun getting the tires onto the rims (regular 1 piece wheels) with a couple large tire irons...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks