• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Today's M109A3 recovery

3dAngus

Today, with my wife chasing, I recovered my M109A3 from Robins Air Force Base. It has a shower, sink, water tank with 28vdc pump, roof air, and make a good starter for a deer hunter/camper, IMO.

Anyway, I noticed when pulling out of the gate going up a slight ramp on Russell parkway, I had third gear revved up and it just would not get up that hill without downshifting. I suspected something was not right as the incline was not that much.

Also, my wife tells me that as I was thinking I must have been approaching close to 60 on the way back, my top speed was 54 downhill, and 52 on the straight-a-ways. I think it should do better based on what I read here.

Would this be a candidate for fuel filter replacement? I have filters on hand and that is my first guess. Gauges are not in place so I don't know the tach readings nor the oil pressure, so I did take a chance in the quick recovery, where all I put in the cut out instrument panel for now is the air pressure to seal up the leaks for best brake operation.

While I'm in there working filters, I thought I would solicit opinions on what else I might check, should this not be the final solution. Truck runs great otherwise. They are a lot louder than the M35A3's though, but sound a whole lot sweeter never-the-less.

OH, by the way, anyone see those M109A4's out of Nellis go for over $10K with fees this week? There were 5 of them, lowest takeout price was $9600, highest was over $11K. Nice clean low mileage rust free trucks though.

3dAngus

Here are some pic's from the GL website. It was a military conversion. I'm going to add a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, change out the mattress, add freon to the roof AC (removed by military prior to sale), and repaint it desert tan, but camo for the fall foliage. No potty but a big tree.

By the way, fuel was very low, but looked clean to the bottom. I topped off the tank on the way home, after putting in 16 gallons on site. Maybe an air filter will help boost power too.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here are some pic's from the GL website. It was a military conversion. I'm going to add a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, change out the mattress, add freon to the roof AC (removed by military prior to sale), and repaint it desert tan, but camo for the fall foliage. No potty but a big tree.
By the way, fuel was very low, but looked clean to the bottom. I topped off the tank on the way home, after putting in 16 gallons on site. Maybe an air filter will help boost power too.
I had those on my watch list, but I just didn't bid on them.:smile:
I think I have come to realize that I need to get what we have running/driving/stopping before we get anymore stuff!![thumbzup]

UNLESS...it's sumpin sorta special!rofl

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We (clintogf & I) were really thinking about bidding on one of those and we ended up winning a couple of other trucks.

Congratulations.

91W350

Nice looking rig Angus, I would try the filters, they are cheap enough. That is one thing I have noticed through the last 15 or so A2s that I got running, there is a huge difference in power among trucks. My original 72 was much stronger than any I have driven since. We have a 71 that starts and runs perfect, just does not have much power and they are scattered all across the power band between. The slow 71 does not have anything for blow by, I put about 1000 miles on it and it does everything right, just at a slower pace. I need to get a pyro and learn the fuel adjustments. Glen

TheWeatherMan

I have gotten my truck up to 64 mph she wont go any faster. But nice looking rig, I would look at the trans cause there maybe something to that problem you got

stevegr

Nice rig 3dAngus. Were those speeds GPS verified? Could be the filters. I would check the following as well. 1. Brake adjustments on all six wheels, make sure the brakes are not dragging. 2. Parking brake, make sure it's fully released. 3. Wheel bearings: make sure the bearings are not adjusted too tight. 4. Fluid levels in the diffs, t-case and tranny. 5. Engine valve adjustment, although I don't think the valve adjustment is the issue as you mentioned the truck runs great.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can second the concept of the output power being all over the place. We moved some of my trailers from the house to the compound last weekend using my 35A2 and DTC's 35A3C. Pulling the MKT, I had no trouble keeping the RPM's at 2300 on all the local hills. The other deuce (unloaded) had to drop down into fourth on every hill and was worse when pulling the Dolly Mobilizer, which weighs 2500 pounds less than the MKT. I was lifting my foot off the pedal on the straight and level parts so the other truck could catch up.

x-ray

In my experience;

• My 109A3 is a non-turbo and gutless for acceleration compared to the turbo trucks and wimps out on the inclines. Slowly as I burn out the cobwebs from years of In Army/GL retirement, its getting better.
  • My Winch deuce when I picked it up from the GL lot at Ft Indiantown Gap was also wimpy and gutless on the inclines. I stopped at Kublos in the back hill os PA and those are pretty slow going steep inclines on those back roads. After giving it a going over replacing all filters, etc. and giving it a good hard run under load, runs much better.
My 2 cents is to definately look at and be preparred to replace all filters. Check for leaks in the lines,as others say also check your brakes, bearings, etc. and grease it all up good and plan on some runs to work it a little. See if it improves.

If its a non turbo, consider upgrading to turbo, there are some good used turbos on ebay lately for fairly reasonable.

BTW Its a Nice truck from your pics, enjoy it and best of luck.

jaymcb

My 109a4 with the CAT 3116 has basically run out of RPM's at the speedo reading of 50 or so. My chase car says it was about 55-58MPH, but I do not have GPS confirmation. 52 MPH on the speedo reads 2700 or 2800 on the tach. That was just on the recovery, with a grungy looking 10 gallons of sludgy diesel thinned out with 10 gallons of fresh fuel and 4 cans of sea foam.

I don't see how I ever get to run mine much over 50 for very long with this setup, because revving a diesel to 2800 RPM ALREADY sets my teeth on edge. I am already contemplating a tire size upgrade, if for no other reason than raising my effective final drive ratio without otherwise touching the drivetrain

3dAngus

Good luck! Did you buy that A4 in Maryland last week?

I can't finish my painting this week due to rain, so I'll be changing out filters and finishing up the rewiring of the new instrument panel install. I painted the box so far but not the cab. Just wire brushed rust off the cab, cab hardtop, and engine hood and spot painted those areas. Gotta go back and redo the whole thing now to even it up. I put some pics thus far on anther thread, but will add to this thread as well as it is on topic. I'll report back on the fuel filter changout issue and whether or not it helped. I can say my M109A3 is a turbo, and it has a whistle in it, but not sure if it is the true whistler everyone loves so much. I'll get more info from the more experienced on this at the Ga. Rally.

Attachments

autigers35a3

My 2cents.
Fresh fuel. Fill up tank.
Change fuel filter.
I added a bottle of Starbrite fuel additive to my tank. Sold at NAPA.
Check air filter.
Run it. Drive it....
Good luck.
Great looking truck.

BAZYRKYR

Good luck! Did you buy that A4 in Maryland last week?

I can't finish my painting this week due to rain, so I'll be changing out filters and finishing up the rewiring of the new instrument panel install. I painted the box so far but not the cab. Just wire brushed rust off the cab, cab hardtop, and engine hood and spot painted those areas. Gotta go back and redo the whole thing now to even it up. I put some pics thus far on anther thread, but will add to this thread as well as it is on topic. I'll report back on the fuel filter changout issue and whether or not it helped. I can say my M109A3 is a turbo, and it has a whistle in it, but not sure if it is the true whistler everyone loves so much. I'll get more info from the more experienced on this at the Ga. Rally.
Wow...you gotta SWEET RIG. I am green with envy. I didn't even know the military was ever putting showers and all that into them.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you share the water setup for the sink and shower and holding tanks. I see the spare has been relocated and there is a tank located in its place. Also what is the box in the back left corner for? I picked up an M109A4 last week from Delaware and looking to do a conversion. Nice setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks