• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the plunge again......

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I was just scanning the classifieds and found a CUCV that was for sale and I have been looking for axles for my son's Blazer so, I sent a PM and we worked out the details. Scheduling delayed recovery for 2 weeks but yesterday morning, Casey and I headed out to see what I had bought.
My intent was to get it home, fix a few issues and flip it to finance my M715 project. Worst case we would pull the axles for his blazer and part out the remainder. That still held true last night a 01:00 when we got home.
17 hours and 920, round trip, miles.... Long day!
We got there, checked out the truck, Dropped the rear drive shaft, made sure the front hubs were unlocked, and placed the key in the first "unlocked" position. Attached the tow bar, placed the magnetic lights and homeward bound!!!

IMG_2414.jpgIMG_2416.jpgIMG_2418.jpgIMG_2419.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_2420.jpgIMG_2421.jpg

This morning we took it to the shop and verified the injector pump is bad. Since I had a take off pump, we pulled the original and installed the take off unit. Well, My luck can't go THAT good! Take off unit is No Joy...
But, we had time to look over the rest of the truck. Not damaged, lights work, wipers work, everything else works just fine.
The PO had recently done rear brakes, both batteries and even sent it home with the ORD shackle flip kit and dana 60 king pin rebuild kit!!!
So after discussion with the son unit, we are going to move his blazer down the road and fix this truck up to be a keeper!

Guess I'll be headed to M&D Diesel this week and have them go thruough the original IP and we should be up and running :)

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we settled on a price, the PO asked if he could keep the aluminum wheels. With him being a fellow Fireman and my intention of flipping or parting the truck, I was OK with him putting steel wheels back on it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the win! Your son will like the 1008/1028 better than the blazer I guarantee it but don't be surprised when he wants to make it go faster. Hammering away at 55mph can get old. ;)

cucvrus

Check out dieselcare.com i think it was less then $300. picked up and delivered for your pump to be rebuilt. It is worth a look. i have put several on for people and myself without any issues. They list the service on Ebay that last I looked and are located in Nashville Tennessee. If you buy iot now they will send a pick up label to your computer and you print it out and put your old IP in a box and drop it off at a UPS pick up point. The pick up and return were included in the price. I hope that helps save you some time and money.

Last edited:

Skinny

You should be looking at specs for what is a rebuild. Some of the cheap ones are just pulled apart in re-sealed for the most part. You may actually get one that has replaced parts if they don't meet spec. I would think that a decent rebuild should come with a new rotor assembly. I think I paid $450ish for a Stanadyne off the shelf certified reman'd unit. I think the cheaper ebay units are skimping in parts. I would also believe anything over this price and you are paying too much unless it is a brand new unit. Someone that has more IP experience may pipe in here.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with an used take off unless it is fairly new and well cared for or just going in a yard beater. Really the only thing that is going to give you ultimate reliability is fuel system integrity. That starts with a good fuel filtration system and ends with a quality IP. Everything will slow you down but a bad fuel system will leave you stranded.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, I would like to ask one of the moderators to move this thread to the CUCV Modified folder.

The son and I have been busy on the truck. He and the grandson "repainted" it this weekend... Well, they had fun!

We pulled the injection pump (bad) and put one on it I thought was still good. Key word there is "thought". So, I have been shopping around and today I boxed up both pumps and sent them to J&H Diesel Service in Greenville MS. After speaking with them it is apparent they know what they are talking about. He told me they have a flat rate for the DB2 pumps SO, I'm going to give them a try.

This afternoon, I finished installing the ORD rear shackle flip and installed the 37 12.50 - 16.5 wheels and tires. WOW, did that lift it up just a little!!!

IMG_2492.jpgIMG_2493.JPGIMG_2494.jpg

While doing this, I boxed in the rear shackles.
IMG_2491.JPG

We haven't lifted the front yet because we are waiting on the IP to return. Then we can install it without standing on step ladders!

I did find the main leaf of the left rear spring in broken. So, I'll be looking for another spring pack. If no luck there, I'll order new springs.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Casey and I spent the weekend completing the 6" lift to the front of the truck.
IMG_2572.jpg IMG_2582.jpg

We then worked on mounting a winch. I saw another SS member who inset his winch into the brush guard and loved the idea. Since we are planning on wheeling this truck, the approach angle is an issue and this gets the winch and minimizes the protrusion out the front.

Casey wanted some chain/ shackle storage so we built in a box below the winch. Not done with it yet as we still have to fab the door, hinges and latches.

Attachments

Last edited:

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got new wheels in, got tires swapped from the HUMMVEE wheels to the new ones and balanced.
The cross over steering and high steer is installed. Test drove several times....
Now it was time to PLAY!!!
image1.jpgimage4.jpgimage7.jpgimage12.jpg

This has been a great project for the son and I to work on and for me to spend more time with him!
We are having a blast playing with this truck :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks