• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toolbox

fasttruck

Only problem is to tighten the two lug nuts that secue the spare tire into the spare tire carrier. remember the cable and pawl are to raise and lower the tire and in transit the weight of the tire is carried by the studs and lug nuts on the cross bar as they engage the keyways in the bracket. . .

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only problem is to tighten the two lug nuts that secue the spare tire into the spare tire carrier. remember the cable and pawl are to raise and lower the tire and in transit the weight of the tire is carried by the studs and lug nuts on the cross bar as they engage the keyways in the bracket. . .
There is enough room to get at the nuts. The pics don't show it clearly, but there is enough space - not as much as with the rack though. Let's hope the 11 new tires the truck came with hold out. :)

Jones

A cover is a good idea for two reasons;
First, it'll keep stuff out of the drawer faces which is obvious. Second, and even more important, it'll keep it from looking so much like a tool box.
Nothing invites sticky fingers like "hey look... I'm a tool box-- w/ goodies inside".

Depending on how the tool box is laid out, make a cover with folded edges top and on both ends, bottom edge not folded but extends lower than tool box. Tab(s) could be made and attached inside top folded edge to drop into the locking bar slots at the top of the tool box. A tab with hole for padlock attached to bottom of box or box mount that lines up with a hole in cover. Padlock through both to secure cover.

Orionspath

My '88 didn't have pioneer rack either, I ve thought of this in the past and am fullinspired to take a look at this alternative. I am looking for a 'Mil Issue
box" though. Saw one on etay but the shipping was outrageously prohibitive
Could you share the source for the 686 rattle can paint?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A rain cover would be good keep tools from rusting.
Looks good

Jim
What's "rain" ? This is SOCAL. :)

We'll see how dry it stays in there. It's under the bed so that will offer some protection. I have a rain cover from an old backpack that fits, but I don't think it will hold up to 45-50 MPH. It's still a work in progress.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an update after more than a year of use.

The tools have gotten "dusty"; never dirty, wet or muddy. We get plenty of rain at times but not enough water gets in to do any damage. It's seen plenty of off road use at DIRTBAG and other trips, yet no massive amounts of dirt or mud. Just some dust that blew out easily.

The third drawer has my rack of 1/2 drive sockets (standard and deep), a 1/2 drive ratchet and a tool roll of metric wrenches tossed in on top of the other tools since it's the deepest drawer. More weight than should be in there. No problems.

I wish I would have went with a higher grade box and would have traded this one out to get the better lock and ball bearings if it weren't for the thought of re doing the foam inserts.

I am pleased with how it's held up and I am willing to consider it a success.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I didn't catch this thread until now, just wanted to say that's awesome. [thumbzup] A much better use of space. If my deuce was a dump truck then I'd be carrying a shovel all the time. I've always intended on doing something similar and never got around to it but now I have the M756A2 components so it's a matter of time.

To keep the dust/moisture out + provide increased security you could fab a locking metal cover that's hinged at the bottom of the toolbox and covers the entire front face of the drawers using some weatherstripping.

Thanks again for the pics!

A

A/C Cages

1. you have to paint the inside from red to green, lol Just out of place there. lol
2. Ever thought about the idea thats been passed thru here about the front door, make it a fold down door with chains or folding bars on the sides to hold the cover in place and use it as a fold down table. It might be a low height table, but you can rest parts on it while looking for the proper sized tools.
Just another thought.... But that red really stands out. lol Wait a minute, your tools are too shiny also, paint them green too. lol Drop the tool in the grass and loose it that way huh?lol

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. you have to paint the inside from red to green, lol Just out of place there. lol
2. Ever thought about the idea thats been passed thru here about the front door, make it a fold down door with chains or folding bars on the sides to hold the cover in place and use it as a fold down table. It might be a low height table, but you can rest parts on it while looking for the proper sized tools.
Just another thought.... But that red really stands out. lol Wait a minute, your tools are too shiny also, paint them green too. lol Drop the tool in the grass and loose it that way huh?lol
Nothing EVER gets painted green or OD around here. If it ain't TAN it ain't chit. LOL

For better security I would go with a better box next time,

Weather striping not required, it doesn't get dirty, just a little dusty.

I thought about the cover/door/table idea, but decided it was too much of a PITA. Soldier B and I are in and out of that box A LOT and I think it would be in the way more than anything.

So if I did it again I would start with a scrtch and dent pro series box to get the ball bearings and better lock. You're gonna paint it TAN anyway.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Tan? Whats tan ? not even my butt is tan and I live in Florida, lol
Actually one of my deuces was going to be tan but I havent got to that point yet. Im making the m109 RV conversion into tan to reduce the heat factor. the bobbed deuce is black just because its covered head to toe in Rhino truckbed liner. Havent decided on a color for it yet. Soon it will be nothing but mud covered once it warms back up.
But you have to admit that the red stands way out. lol

The tool box is a great idea. unfortunately the sears toolbox won't hold up to the kidney splinting ride of a deuce. I had a mobile auto repair service before I moved into a shop. My truck was a Dodge ram 3500. The craftsman tool box lasted about 6 months before the sheet metal ears that hold the drawer guides fatigued and fell off. Dont want to be a wet blanket but would hate to see a bunch of people do this not knowing of the weakness of these toolboxes. I myself plan to put a tool box in that location but will use a under bed truck box with shelfs and individual flip top toolboxes. The other option is to buy snap on but you can buy a new car for what they want for a good toolbox.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tool box is a great idea. unfortunately the sears toolbox won't hold up to the kidney splinting ride of a deuce. I had a mobile auto repair service before I moved into a shop. My truck was a Dodge ram 3500. The craftsman tool box lasted about 6 months before the sheet metal ears that hold the drawer guides fatigued and fell off. Dont want to be a wet blanket but would hate to see a bunch of people do this not knowing of the weakness of these toolboxes. I myself plan to put a tool box in that location but will use a under bed truck box with shelfs and individual flip top toolboxes. The other option is to buy snap on but you can buy a new car for what they want for a good toolbox.

Won't hold up? It's been over a year with plenty of off road driving. And the bottom drawer is pretty overloaded since we tossed all my 1/2 inch drive stuff in there on top of everything else.

How much longer until you think it all falls apart?

And like I've said before - the tools have not gotten wet or rusty. They haven't gotten muddy, though we have spent plenty of time in the mud. I do notice they have gotten dusty, so every once in a while I run the air hose from the other side and blow it out.

This box gets used A LOT. Since it has the most common hand tools used on a deuce, we open it up when we work on the truck and only go to the garage if it's something that's not in this box. Soldier B still hasn't learned to close drawers when he is done so often one or two drawers are hanging open while we turn wrenches for hours.

The bottom drawer being the biggest seems to be a catch all for everything - extra parts, the 1/2 drive socket rack (standard and deep), the 1/2 drive rachet and breaker - all tossed in on top of the other stuff.

Like I said - I wished I had used a higher end Craftsman box and gotten ball bearings, but I paid less than 40 for this one. It's holding up fine.

Someone suggested the forward mount would'nt be able to handle the weight - working fine so far. Someone thought everything would get wet and rust - not yet. It was suggested it would fill with mud - no so much.

We use this truck about 4000 miles a year with several off road trips. Sometimes a screwdriver or two pop out of their spot in the foam on the rough stuff, that's it.

And if it turns to dust soon - I'm out less than 40 bucks.

I call it a success.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks