• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toolbox

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I swapped the rusty roofed M109 box for a clean cargo bed I discovered the mounting for the pioneer rack was a little different. I've been meaning to fab something up to get it reinstalled, but have been dragging my feet. I thought about putting a toolbox there and when Phil mentioned he was thinking about the same thing I decided to make it happen. I went with a Craftsman "middle" box because I didn't want a lid and the smallest bottom box would be much too large. I stopped by Sears and had a choice of 6 different ones. I could've picked up a scratch and dented pro box for $110 or something new (still with roller bearings) for $89. Then I saw a low end homeowner series on sale for $35. It installed as if it were made to go there. I still have some drawer liners to put in and then I will get all my lightweight tools moved over. The liner foam I'm using is the same stuff we use in the Navy - about a 1/2 inch thick. You trace the outline of each tool into the foam and then cut it out. When your done each tool has it's own place and it holds them in pretty well. You can tell if a tool is missing quickly too. Here's the pics -

Attachments

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We always need tool box storage. But I'm afraid that it will fill every nook and cranny of the front there, with mud, slop, and grime. Hate to be negative, but just being objective.

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We always need tool box storage. But I'm afraid that it will fill every nook and cranny of the front there, with mud, slop, and grime. Hate to be negative, but just being objective.

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska
It might, but it's easy enough to have some sort of cover made if that happens a lot. The only way in is through the front (of the toolbox which faces the side of the truck), not through the bottom or back. If it doesn't work out I'm out $35 and my truck has a few small holes in it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a cover to keep dirt and grime out, might wanna cut a flat piece of sheet steel, hinge it on the bottom edge of the front of the tool box, and have foam sealant around the outside edge of the sheet to seal it off.

Very cool! I like the concept!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But was it made in China? :twisted:
Who knows? Last toolbox from Craftsman I bought was made in good ol' US of A. If it's made here, great! If not, may his private parts turn OD green and start smelling like rotten canvas.

He'll find out soon enough if it's made overseas - if so, the metal will start rusting within a year, and the drawers won't open and shut correctly after normal use.

Sorry guys, buying foreign made stuff vs. American made is a big issue for me. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.

bkwudzhom

The box looks great and its a great idea. However I do agree with the suggestion of a front cover. I would also be wary of the sheet metal sides supporting the weight of the box and tools during the vibration and bouncing of the ride. Mabey an additional support bar to go under it? Not knocking the work you have already done just an observation.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But was it made in China? :twisted:
I would have to look, but it probably was. Not sure where the Craftsman low end boxes are made. The higher end stuff used to be made in the USA, but who knows anymore. The drill bit I used was made in China - the Ryobi cordless tools probably were as well. The hardware holding it to the truck was - it was a box of stuff I bought at Home Depot and had left over - all their nuts and bolts are China. The Dell keyboard I'm typing this on at my US Navy job in a high security Naval installation has a MADE IN CHINA sticker on the bottom.

I'm PROUD to be an American and I'm PROUD to serve in the world's finest Navy (24+ years and still going), but I'm NOT Amish - no way to avoid using made in China products. Anyone who thinks they can and still post about it on this website is a fool.

Gonna take some measurements and see if I can squeeze a tool box on the other side.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who knows? Last toolbox from Craftsman I bought was made in good ol' US of A. If it's made here, great! If not, may his private parts turn OD green and start smelling like rotten canvas.

He'll find out soon enough if it's made overseas - if so, the metal will start rusting within a year, and the drawers won't open and shut correctly after normal use.

Sorry guys, buying foreign made stuff vs. American made is a big issue for me. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.
So why are you posting about it on your computer which is made overseas or at least MOSTLY made overseas?

Bottom line - it's MY money (or the wife's) and I earned it by helping provide you with freedom of speech - I'll spend my money as I see fit - sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.

You would chit yourself if you knew how much money I spent in Hong Kong during my 6 or 7 port calls there....................................

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box looks great and its a great idea. However I do agree with the suggestion of a front cover. I would also be wary of the sheet metal sides supporting the weight of the box and tools during the vibration and bouncing of the ride. Mabey an additional support bar to go under it? Not knocking the work you have already done just an observation.
The aft end of the box is supported very well I think. The forward end may indeed be the weak link. I don't plan on putting anything heavy in there - just nicely organized wrenches and screwdrivers and such. Then again, some of those wrenches are pretty heavy. Time will tell - if it doesn't work out I can redesign and get another cheap box. It was very close to fitting inside of the pioneer rack. I thought about cutting all of the mounts out of the rack and mounting the box to it. In the end I decided not to cut it up in case someone needed it or I wanted to put it back on.

For a cover I have an old backpack rain cover that is trimmed in heavy duty elastic. It won't stay on at highway speeds, but should stay in place offroad.

Then again, I've never even locked the front diff in yet, so I don't know how often I would need it. :)

coolnick73

For a cover to keep dirt and grime out, might wanna cut a flat piece of sheet steel, hinge it on the bottom edge of the front of the tool box, and have foam sealant around the outside edge of the sheet to seal it off.

Very cool! I like the concept!
I agree then you could have some chains and have a little work station instead of working off of the front fender or sideboards. Plus if you used some diamond plate or something thicker it would probably be more secure.

It sure is fun spending other people's money :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks