• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools on the road

MT4222

Hi I recently purchased a m1009. I would like everyone's ideas on tools I should carry with me in the blazer In case something does go wrong?:):):)

Thank you very much

cucv1833

I first have a lock box in the back to keep spare parts and tools and gear if the tops off.

Multi volt meter is the most important.
Other than than a small cheap basic socket/wrench set.
A breaker bar. Mostly tools to work on battery cables, alternators, starter adjustment.

Spare parts I kept fuel/vacuum hose. 1-starter 1- alternator. 3- belts. nuts and bolts duct tape and 550 cord zip ties, fluids, fuel filters,. ect ect. And Tow truck driver numbers:)

I mostly use this GM Performance brand Multi-size combination wrench. 3/8", 7/10", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8" 11/16", 3/4" and 13/16 all in one

Wecome to S.S. Any pics of the new ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

edpdx

:ditto: If you can't get it going with field repairs, have a good towing policy. I learned from the last tow truck driver to haul me home: AAA has the best tow coverage. AND... You can call or go online, buy the premium tow package that gives you one 200 mile tow and multiple 100 tows annually and turn right around and get your vehicle towed. I verified this with my agent and he said it was true. At $80 for the hook-up and $1.48 per mile it is the best deal going.

TIP: If you have a 400 mile tow. Call and get the policy (about $135) and have the driver take you 200 miles and drop you off near a lunch stop or motel. Have a spouse or friend buy a separate policy and tow the rest of the way from there. TTL cost $270. Without the AAA coverage the tow would cost about $660. The beauty of this is that you don't need to buy it until you actually need a tow.

cucv1833

:ditto: If you can't get it going with field repairs, have a good towing policy. I learned from the last tow truck driver to haul me home: AAA has the best tow coverage. AND... You can call or go online, buy the premium tow package that gives you one 200 mile tow and multiple 100 tows annually and turn right around and get your vehicle towed. I verified this with my agent and he said it was true. At $80 for the hook-up and $1.48 per mile it is the best deal going.

TIP: If you have a 400 mile tow. Call and get the policy (about $135) and have the driver take you 200 miles and drop you off near a lunch stop or motel. Have a spouse or friend buy a separate policy and tow the rest of the way from there. TTL cost $270. Without the AAA coverage the tow would cost about $660. The beauty of this is that you don't need to buy it until you actually need a tow.
Yes it is a good deal. I have FULL coverage on my M1009 at only $30 a month and that includes FREE towing. I used it once I had to pay over $120 for a tow only 20 miles. My insurance agent cut me a check as soon as i gave them a receipt.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry a full toolbox of wrenchs, sockets, screwdrivers, and whatnots. Other then a cherrypicker, I can change out an engine if I have to. Plus spare fuel filters, and water.

Cleptomaniac

Knock on wood. I do have AAA but any problems I have had have been fixed with out calling them. It is a good thing to have but with the proper tools and a little luck you can fix most little things your self. I carry a decent size socket ratchet set from Lowes and some miscellaneous wrenches, screw drivers, and junk.

edpdx

RED_506, I don't have AAA for my auto or homeowners, I just heard about the best tow coverage from the tow driver as I settled in for one of the costlier rides I have taken. He said that they did get calls for tows where the driver had just bought it over the phone. Impressed, I called AAA the next day. The guy that sold me the policy (coverage) advised me of the same thing. He gave me a number and said it would be good in about 20 minutes, and that I could use it immediately. I have no dog in this this fight, so if you know more than what I have been told I yield to your expertise. At any rate you have nothing to lose by trying it. AND, it is the best tow coverage around.

Red_506

If AAA in your area will authorize same days service thats awesome. From my experience where I live they do not do so. I guess it just goes by regions.

rbeasley66

If you packing wrenches and sockets, go with both SAE and metric. While working on mine, most bolts are metric, but I do find SAE bolts on my 85 M1009.

Hi-lift farmers jack. Spare fluids. Cheapo socket set. Multi-screwdrive, Test meter, WD-40 and some rags (as much for after repair hand cleaning as anything), Tire repair kit (plugs etc), cheapo compressor, Link type fan belt to fit any length, silicone "miracle" tape, Test lead w/ alligator clips, fuel filter and wrech to fit injector line (in case you run out of fuel or plug a filter), Hide a key for doors on outside, hide a key on inside for ignition, Spare fuses, 2 stroke oil for adding to fuel, breaker bar and lug nut sockets.

MT4222

Regarding the compressor what is the easiest way to add a cigarette lighter plug to power a compressor and how should I wire in my cb radio?

cucv1833

Regarding the compressor what is the easiest way to add a cigarette lighter plug to power a compressor and how should I wire in my cb radio?
You can do a search for more detail. But I carry one of those (All in one jumper /power packs) that have everthing I need. Mines the Wagan Power dome.

For cb and cigarette lighter. I ran a seperate 10 ga wire from front battery with in line fuse to power all my 12v extras like my CB, offroad lights ect,ect.

Attachments