• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top speed - highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also hope I never have to do this. It sounds extremely inconvenient. I don't think it would be life changing for me - I've seen senseless death in combat and personally I've made my peace with it. Can't be worse than someone I know and have a personal attachment to. Some random motorist...... 😑
Was it your fault?

Could you have done something to prevent it?

If the answers to either of the above are "yes" or "maybe", it changes the equation and changes how your conscience/subconscious treats you....

Third From Texas

100 to 105mph speed hitting me at 61/63mph.
That sucks, but I don't see the applied relevance here. How much faster would you have safely been towing that rig?

I mean if you were doing 70mph and they had slammed into the back of you at over 100mph it would have ended the same.

I doubt the speed limit was 100-105 so....

I get that it's a horrible thing, but I'm in the "let Darwin sort them out" camp here. Speeders, drunk drivers, texters...not really related to the speed of our trucks (or much else WE can control). Going faster with that kind of load is far more dangerous, IMO. Maybe paint the truck, trailer, and cargo white might help, but again not really going to fix the stupid on the roads.

/shrug

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That sucks, but I don't see the applied relevance here. How much faster would you have safely been towing that rig?

I mean if you were doing 70mph and they had slammed into the back of you at over 100mph it would have ended the same.

I doubt the speed limit was 100-105 so....

I get that it's a horrible thing, but I'm in the "let Darwin sort them out" camp here. Speeders, drunk drivers, texters...not really related to the speed of our trucks (or much else WE can control). Going faster with that kind of load is far more dangerous, IMO. Maybe paint the truck, trailer, and cargo white might help, but again not really going to fix the stupid on the roads.

/shrug
He said that he would get out and laugh at what happened when they hit his hitch.

That isn't that case. It is going to F that LMTV up. This is the case in point to even if stupid hits you, you even being in the bigger vehicle are likely to lose too.

Guruman

Not so new member
Driving my LMTV home taught me one thing for sure. That is that driving significantly slower than the flow of traffic is dangerous. For me, and for others on the road.

If you're in the "Darwin" camp, and doing something that you know can be a hazard to you and others, doesn't that make you the stupid one? At what point do you "deserve what you get"? Just because you are not the one going to be killed, does not make you smart.

I'm not sure that driving faster is somehow more dangerous. Sure, added speed in an accident would be more dangerous to those involved, but by keeping up with the flow of traffic, you avoid potential accidents by not surprising random unsuspecting motorists by creeping along at 20 mph or more below the speed of traffic. Wouldn't that be safer? I'd choose avoiding the impact all day.

Also along this vein, with the size of our rigs, seeing that many are not afraid to take a family truckster in the rear, would a bit of added velocity on our part really be such a risk? Unless you are driving into a concrete wall.... I don't see much difference in hitting the average commuter at a slightly higher speed, still a bad day for them more so than me. Plus I have much greater confidence that I'll not hit someone else while driving the speed limit, than I do that some random stranger won't plow into the back of me when I'm driving 50 in a 70.

Tractor-trailers weighing 80k plus pounds manage to keep up with traffic pretty good everyday. A gear change, tires and maybe some additional horsepower are the only reasons I can't... yet.

Third From Texas

Driving my LMTV home taught me one thing for sure. That is that driving significantly slower than the flow of traffic is dangerous. For me, and for others on the road.

If you're in the "Darwin" camp, and doing something that you know can be a hazard to you and others, doesn't that make you the stupid one? At what point do you "deserve what you get"? Just because you are not the one going to be killed, does not make you smart.

I'm not sure that driving faster is somehow more dangerous. Sure, added speed in an accident would be more dangerous to those involved, but by keeping up with the flow of traffic, you avoid potential accidents by not surprising random unsuspecting motorists by creeping along at 20 mph or more below the speed of traffic. Wouldn't that be safer? I'd choose avoiding the impact all day.

Also along this vein, with the size of our rigs, seeing that many are not afraid to take a family truckster in the rear, would a bit of added velocity on our part really be such a risk? Unless you are driving into a concrete wall.... I don't see much difference in hitting the average commuter at a slightly higher speed, still a bad day for them more so than me. Plus I have much greater confidence that I'll not hit someone else while driving the speed limit, than I do that some random stranger won't plow into the back of me when I'm driving 50 in a 70.

Tractor-trailers weighing 80k plus pounds manage to keep up with traffic pretty good everyday. A gear change, tires and maybe some additional horsepower are the only reasons I can't... yet.
Agree to disagree. Unless there's a "Minimum Speed Limit" posted.

Doing 100 mph in an LMTV in some attempt to avoid getting rear-ended buy someone else doing 100mph is a) impossible, and b) dangerous af even if you COULD go that fast in an LMTV. Add a trailer into the mix and the danger increases. A loaded trailer even worse. It's simple physics.

I slip in with plenty of tractor trailer rigs doing 60mph (and that in Texas where the speed limits are typically 75). Anyone doing over 100mph in a 75 gets what they deserve (tickets, crashes, death).

I've really got no issue with the feds making 55mph the national speed limit again. I didn't have any problems with it back in the 70's...

/shurg

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
Agree to disagree. Unless there's a "Minimum Speed Limit" posted.

Doing 100 mph in an LMTV in some attempt to avoid getting rear-ended buy someone else doing 100mph is a) impossible, and b) dangerous af even if you COULD go that fast in an LMTV. Add a trailer into the mix and the danger increases. A loaded trailer even worse. It's simple physics.

I slip in with plenty of tractor trailer rigs doing 60mph (and that in Texas where the speed limits are typically 75). Anyone doing over 100mph in a 75 gets what they deserve (tickets, crashes, death).

I've really got no issue with the feds making 55mph the national speed limit again. I didn't have any problems with it back in the 70's...

/shurg
Disagree with what? Going 100 mph.... Nobody mentioned that. it's a straw man argument. On that we agree, there is no need to go 100 mph in a lmtv.

Around here big rigs drive 70, and even maxed out at 58mph in my lmtv, traffic flows around me like a rock in a river. Many of them very surprised that someone was going under 60, and many, many near misses when hastily changing lanes to avoid me. In my 2 hour trip there were a dozen or so near misses. Not necessarily nearly hitting me, but nearly hitting each other while trying to get around me.

Third From Texas

Disagree with what? Going 100 mph.... Nobody mentioned that. it's a straw man argument. On that we agree, there is no need to go 100 mph in a lmtv.

Around here big rigs drive 70, and even maxed out at 58mph in my lmtv, traffic flows around me like a rock in a river. Many of them very surprised that someone was going under 60, and many, many near misses when hastily changing lanes to avoid me. In my 2 hour trip there were a dozen or so near misses. Not necessarily nearly hitting me, but nearly hitting each other while trying to get around me.
So by your logic, all LMTVs (beyond the teeny-tiny fraction that have added $8000 worth of "high speed gears" ) are dangerous and should be banned or removed from our highways for the sake of safety? Because they can't do 75mph? I strongly disagree but I'm sure there is no shortage of people and politicians who would love to see ALL FMVs removed from the roads.

Guruman

Not so new member
So by your logic, all LMTVs (beyond the teeny-tiny fraction that have added $8000 worth of "high speed gears" ) are dangerous and should be banned or removed from our highways for the sake of safety? Because they can't do 75mph? I strongly disagree but I'm sure there is no shortage of people and politicians who would love to see ALL FMVs removed from the roads.
Again with the straw man arguments?

Man you really like to argue claims that nobody made. What I intended to express and maybe did not as well as I'd like, is that a giant slug of a MV going much slower than the rest of traffic may pose a greater risk to the MV driver and to the public in general, than the same MV going fast enough to integrate with the traffic, in my opinion. You can disagree, that's cool. The world is chock full of people I don't always agree with. but, claiming that it must mean that I'm on the side of folks who want all MVs removed from public roads is disingenuous at best.

Every backroad and 2 lane highway around here has a 55 mph max, that my lmtv CAN do without being a hazard. I'm saying that I'll not be taking mine back on the interstate until I get my gears swapped, because I, personally don't want to get someone killed, no matter how stupid they might be. Not all stupid people deserve to die. And let's not forget the possibility that some idiot might take out a buss full of innocent nuns on his way to the grave after bouncing off your pintle.

Please think of the nuns. ;-)

coachgeo

Every backroad and 2 lane highway around here has a 55 mph max, that my lmtv CAN do without being a hazard. I'm saying that I'll not be taking mine back on the interstate until I get my gears swapped, because I, personally don't want to get someone killed, no matter how stupid they might be. Not all stupid people deserve to die. And let's not forget the possibility that some idiot might take out a buss full of innocent nuns on his way to the grave after bouncing off your pintle.

Nun example is actually why I AVOID back roads and take the interstate where there is lanes to my left for others to access to get around me. 55 is minimal speed on Interstates.

PS back-roads (FM) in TX are often 65mph..... other states are similar

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove 2800 miles of almost entirely interstate at 50 and probably pissed off more than a few truckers wanting to go 80 on the flat and level - only to pass them at the same 50 going up the next mountain grade while they are doing 25-35.

I would say I am decidedly less of a road hazard than a fully loaded 18 wheeler doing 25-35 up a grade - which occurs probably hundreds of thousands of times every hour in this country.

If some jack-hole slides his civic up under my Meritor and perishes in the doing all I want is his insurance agent's phone number. I have friends that died for his freedom to be that big of an idiot and I'll drink to those guys every night. Hell if I'll shed a tear for that fool though.

Third From Texas

Again with the straw man arguments?

Man you really like to argue claims that nobody made. What I intended to express and maybe did not as well as I'd like, is that a giant slug of a MV going much slower than the rest of traffic may pose a greater risk to the MV driver and to the public in general, than the same MV going fast enough to integrate with the traffic, in my opinion. You can disagree, that's cool. The world is chock full of people I don't always agree with. but, claiming that it must mean that I'm on the side of folks who want all MVs removed from public roads is disingenuous at best.

You can throw strawman out there all day if you want but the points remain:

1) we disagree
2) most (the VAST majority of) LMTV owners don't have (and will never have) highspeed gears
3) most LMTV owners are going to be on the highway at some point
4) and saying "just stay off the road" isn't viable for most any who travel
5) anyone driving 100+mph in a 75mph zone and hitting an MV from behind is UNQUESTIONABLY at fault

Look, I disagree about going faster being the safer solution. Taking these trucks over 60-65mph is looking for trouble, IMO. Period. We don't have to agree but you won't change my mind on the matter.

You're making a very valid argument as to why all FMVs are unsafe and should be restricted to "off road use only". And several states already see it that way. I don't.

So no, I really don't agree with what you are suggesting. Go faster than your truck is rated? Get high speed gears? Stay off the roads? Nope. Sorry. I disagree (especially when a second MV is loaded on a trailer you are towing).

All good, though. We're allowed to disagree.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
You can throw strawman out there all day if you want but the points remain:

1) we disagree
2) most (the VAST majority of) LMTV owners don't have (and will never have) highspeed gears
3) most LMTV owners are going to be on the highway at some point
4) and saying "just stay off the road" isn't viable for most any who travel
5) anyone driving 100+mph in a 75mph zone and hitting an MV from behind is UNQUESTIONABLY at fault

Look, I disagree about going faster being the safer solution. Taking these trucks over 60-65mph is looking for trouble, IMO. Period. We don't have to agree but you won't change my mind on the matter.

You're making a very valid argument as to why all FMVs are unsafe and should be restricted to "off road use only". And several states already see it that way. I don't.

So no, I really don't agree with what you are suggesting. Go faster than your truck is rated? Get high speed gears? Stay off the roads? Nope. Sorry. I disagree (especially when a second MV is loaded on a trailer you are towing).

All good, though. We're allowed to disagree.
Yet... there are numerous stories here (and even some horrific photos) of rear end collisions and near misses, and not a single instance of driving the speed limit being an issue.

Reality disagrees with you too.

Third From Texas

Yet... there are numerous stories here (and even some horrific photos) of rear end collisions and near misses, and not a single instance of driving the speed limit being an issue.

Reality disagrees with you too.
So contact your congressman and work to get MVs banned from the highways. Show them your proof here.

Because 99.9% of the MVs on the road cannot do a 75mph speed limit.

Period.

End of discussion from me.

ps: just don't contact MY congressman

:)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So contact your congressman and work to get MVs banned from the highways. Show them your proof here.

Because 99.9% of the MVs on the road cannot do a 75mph speed limit.

Period.

End of discussion from me.

ps: just don't contact MY congressman

:)
Move to Commifornia it's 55 for trucks and 70 for cars and yes lots of trucks get rear ended

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Move to Commifornia it's 55 for trucks and 70 for cars and yes lots of trucks get rear ended
It seems like this is a recurrent problem regardless of MV or not. Trucks be slow under some circumstances. Cars be fast with idiots behind the wheel - till we make every vehicle autonomous there will be collisions between the two. Such is life and risks are part of life. Personally I would rather be the one in the giant MV and take my chances. With the 1079 box I doubt my cab would be crushed to the point of my demise...... I'll sure be REAL pissed off if I am not dispatched so the dude in the civic that plowed me from behind at 100 mph better hope I'm not ambulatory cause if he's not smoked he might wish he was.

INFChief

Folks, my post about my truck’s top speed wasn’t to inspire a vigorous conversation on the topic of safety. If I can figure out how to turn off commenting I will do so. If that’s not possible I’ll look in to deleting the thread.

My apologies to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks