• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

CanonNinja

Found a possible local buy, not a lot of rust (that I can see) but the tan overspray on top of the original OD paint is horrific. Its a decent deal on the truck for the engine and accessories, but its definately far from a looker. Who's done a complete extorior "restoration" and what did you spend in time and money on it? $2100 buys me a turbo truck w/heater and air shift in dire need of paint and a roof, or $4500 for a mint non-turbo w/troop canvas. I'm stuck guys, help me out :?

CanonNinja

sorry, didn't mean winch.. both have air shift, neither has winch.

I didnt get pics of the local truck, but the $4500 is this guy, and SUPER clean

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is Dieselsmoke's truck, he is a Steel Soldiers member.

CanonNinja

Yep, just talked to Bill a few hours ago.. I have to make a quick decision, and if its going to be a rediculous amount of time and money to get the truck repainted, I'm just going to drive to NorCal and pick his bad boy up :)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

I'm doing a complete re-paint inside and out. I agree it's not hard but I'm spending a lot of time. Stripping, sanding, primer, etc. I'm lovin' the hobby but if you want to enjoy right away, i'd be lookin' at the 4500 truck.

Just my 2 cents.

littlebob

Ditto! Unless You have the equipment, time and knowledge ,I would do the more expensive truck. I've been working on mine for a while and wishing I was driving it instead, the only advantage is knowing You did it the way you wanted done.
littlebob

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would love to find a deal like that within driving distance from me... I bet either would be a good choice.

If you get the cheap one, how about letting me know where to find the other one? :)

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

bigmike said:
I'm doing a complete re-paint inside and out. I agree it's not hard but I'm spending a lot of time. Stripping, sanding, primer, etc. I'm lovin' the hobby but if you want to enjoy right away, i'd be lookin' at the 4500 truck.

Just my 2 cents.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards... I want something to enjoy in the next 6 weeks or so, and I'm ready to buy now, but I need to see what this truck is going to get me into. The project truck also has no tool kit, no spare, needs a wheel and tire, has an open roof that's been getting rain in it for the last 3 years, and who knows what electrical issues I might run into.

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

JoshC said:
I would love to find a deal like that within driving distance from me... I bet either would be a good choice.

If you get the cheap one, how about letting me know where to find the other one? :)

Oh trust me. I have atleast a 3500 mile round trip to get the one I posted pics of. The one local I'm realyl weary of, even with lowish miles and hours (25k and 2000 hours). A truck just sitting with the interior of the cab exposed for the last 3 years is making me nervous

lacoda56

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

That's a tough call, as both trucks sound like a deal. Painting is no big deal, it's the prep time that can drag into days and weeks, depending on what you want for a finished product. On the other hand, 3500 miles ain't gonna be a cheap date, either. I personally would take the closer of the two, but then, I'm cheap.

PWM

When I bought my truck it had good paint but an ugly brush painted tan over green paint job. As a stop gap til I can properly repaint it I went to town with some wire brushes, sanders, scrapers and rust converter then a top coat of rattle can OD green. I just did a panel at a time after work and in no time it was done. The only thing I haven’t done is the dash. It may not be an exact match, but I remember doing the same thing to my M113A3 APC when I was in the military.

Attachments

CanonNinja

problem is, I fell in love with Dieselsmoke's truck. local truck is much easier on the wallet and budget, but how much will I spend getting it to the same condition, and how far am I going to have to go to get it stellar and reliable.... living in Houston with no roof PERIOD for the last 3 years kinda makes me wonder about the integrity of the electrical system and other doo dads, even though it has 2 more things I'd rather have (heater and turbo).

I should have just bid on the truck I wanted on GL.. made this a whole lot easier (I was going to bid $5k, went for $4701 :oops: )

lacoda56

I wouldn't worry about it sitting outside with no top. My 5 ton sat under some pine trees for 7 years with the rag top rotted off. Had to free up the stop and throttle cables and the start button was a little funky, but otherwise no serious damage. Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with either truck. Good luck!

cbvet

If this is your first truck, I say go for the one that's ready to go.
First one I got has needed very little work & I really enjoy it. Second is badly in need of a paint job, & I haven't touched it in over a year.
Some of the guys say painting is easy. If you have to remove a lot of old loose paint, it's not easy. Repairing significant rust isn't easy.
If you have a large shop & the proper equipment, painting itself may not be too bad, depending on the paint used.
It's all the prep that sucks.
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks