• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

CanonNinja

Found a possible local buy, not a lot of rust (that I can see) but the tan overspray on top of the original OD paint is horrific. Its a decent deal on the truck for the engine and accessories, but its definately far from a looker. Who's done a complete extorior "restoration" and what did you spend in time and money on it? $2100 buys me a turbo truck w/heater and air shift in dire need of paint and a roof, or $4500 for a mint non-turbo w/troop canvas. I'm stuck guys, help me out :?

CanonNinja

sorry, didn't mean winch.. both have air shift, neither has winch.

I didnt get pics of the local truck, but the $4500 is this guy, and SUPER clean

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is Dieselsmoke's truck, he is a Steel Soldiers member.

CanonNinja

Yep, just talked to Bill a few hours ago.. I have to make a quick decision, and if its going to be a rediculous amount of time and money to get the truck repainted, I'm just going to drive to NorCal and pick his bad boy up :)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

I'm doing a complete re-paint inside and out. I agree it's not hard but I'm spending a lot of time. Stripping, sanding, primer, etc. I'm lovin' the hobby but if you want to enjoy right away, i'd be lookin' at the 4500 truck.

Just my 2 cents.

littlebob

Ditto! Unless You have the equipment, time and knowledge ,I would do the more expensive truck. I've been working on mine for a while and wishing I was driving it instead, the only advantage is knowing You did it the way you wanted done.
littlebob

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would love to find a deal like that within driving distance from me... I bet either would be a good choice.

If you get the cheap one, how about letting me know where to find the other one? :)

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

bigmike said:
I'm doing a complete re-paint inside and out. I agree it's not hard but I'm spending a lot of time. Stripping, sanding, primer, etc. I'm lovin' the hobby but if you want to enjoy right away, i'd be lookin' at the 4500 truck.

Just my 2 cents.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards... I want something to enjoy in the next 6 weeks or so, and I'm ready to buy now, but I need to see what this truck is going to get me into. The project truck also has no tool kit, no spare, needs a wheel and tire, has an open roof that's been getting rain in it for the last 3 years, and who knows what electrical issues I might run into.

CanonNinja

Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

JoshC said:
I would love to find a deal like that within driving distance from me... I bet either would be a good choice.

If you get the cheap one, how about letting me know where to find the other one? :)

Oh trust me. I have atleast a 3500 mile round trip to get the one I posted pics of. The one local I'm realyl weary of, even with lowish miles and hours (25k and 2000 hours). A truck just sitting with the interior of the cab exposed for the last 3 years is making me nervous

lacoda56

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Total exterior repaint of an M35A2

That's a tough call, as both trucks sound like a deal. Painting is no big deal, it's the prep time that can drag into days and weeks, depending on what you want for a finished product. On the other hand, 3500 miles ain't gonna be a cheap date, either. I personally would take the closer of the two, but then, I'm cheap.

PWM

When I bought my truck it had good paint but an ugly brush painted tan over green paint job. As a stop gap til I can properly repaint it I went to town with some wire brushes, sanders, scrapers and rust converter then a top coat of rattle can OD green. I just did a panel at a time after work and in no time it was done. The only thing I haven’t done is the dash. It may not be an exact match, but I remember doing the same thing to my M113A3 APC when I was in the military.

Attachments

CanonNinja

problem is, I fell in love with Dieselsmoke's truck. local truck is much easier on the wallet and budget, but how much will I spend getting it to the same condition, and how far am I going to have to go to get it stellar and reliable.... living in Houston with no roof PERIOD for the last 3 years kinda makes me wonder about the integrity of the electrical system and other doo dads, even though it has 2 more things I'd rather have (heater and turbo).

I should have just bid on the truck I wanted on GL.. made this a whole lot easier (I was going to bid $5k, went for $4701 :oops: )

lacoda56

I wouldn't worry about it sitting outside with no top. My 5 ton sat under some pine trees for 7 years with the rag top rotted off. Had to free up the stop and throttle cables and the start button was a little funky, but otherwise no serious damage. Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with either truck. Good luck!

cbvet

If this is your first truck, I say go for the one that's ready to go.
First one I got has needed very little work & I really enjoy it. Second is badly in need of a paint job, & I haven't touched it in over a year.
Some of the guys say painting is easy. If you have to remove a lot of old loose paint, it's not easy. Repairing significant rust isn't easy.
If you have a large shop & the proper equipment, painting itself may not be too bad, depending on the paint used.
It's all the prep that sucks.
CBVET