• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow bar and a Deuce??

sak00

I'm doing a little research before I actually need it. (go figure) Does anybody have pic's showing the correct way a tow bar should be attached? Also, I read somewhere that the front wheels should be off the ground???? How do axle clamps work?? I guess I'm a visual guy. Thanks guys

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you read that manual heres a pic of one hooked up. Axle clamps are primarily for lift tows but that requires a wrecker. Here are 2 TM numbers for towbars TM 9-4910-496-10 and TM 9-4910-593-12&P

Attachments

Kenny,

Let's not forget the safety chain. Also, I use the axle clamps(double roller chains) on the older WWII 1/2 and 3/4 tons. I just go right around the bumper. Real nice.

John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, there are no chains in that pic are there? Confirming what John says, must use adequate tow chanis.

nickd

That light cable is most likely connected to the military towing light set up. Its a light bar with military tail and marker lights that you strap to the bumper of the towed vehicle that when plugged into the towing vehicle's trailer receptacle operates the lights.

JDToumanian

Be sure to connect the towbar adapters as shown below. There have been pics in some publications showing them installed upside down... You will break your towbar - Just ask Bjorn!

Jon

Attachments

KaiserM109

Okay, I'll warm up the soldering iron. I could have used that when I towed my Bronco back from Ft. Riley. Most of the trip was in the dark, so I turned the Bronco's flashers on and ran the Bronco engine at a high idle at truck stops to recharge the battery.

I saw a trailer cable on eBay that is about 8' long. Let's see, the 8' will get to the end of the tow bar, a deuce is about 22', add about 2' to 3' to go around lumps, I can do that with about 25' more cable.

The 2 trailers that I am going to scrap don't have lights, but I can use civilian parts. I can make a 24 volt light bar by putting two 12 volt bulbs in a series on each circuit. I can manage all that; is there a readily available solution such as a surplus bar?

mangus580

What I did for lights... was made up an ext cable, and plugged into the mounted lights on the towed truck. Standard bullet nosed crip connectors will plug into the packards.

Other option, would be to put 24v bulbs in a civvy magnetic light set.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you put a female trailer plug on both ends and plug one into the driven truck, plug the other end into the towed truck. Would that feed the circuts for the rear lights? If they are there and functioning that is.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I t will feed back through the truck. I did exactly that when I piggybacked the cargo to Ohio and back. I ended up unlpugging the truck and plugging the tow cable right into the lights as mangus explained. I also at one point made a set of towing lights with a 2x6 and just used the 4 color trailer cable. It worked great but I wasn't going to be happy untill I got that light bar. Now lights are a non issue. If anyone would like to look at it up close, I can pack it to GA to show it off.

KaiserM109

I wish that I was going to be able to meet you guys in GA, but my tail feathers have been clipped.

Kenny and Jon, thanks for the info, good stuff to know.

For you guys scrapping out frames, please latch onto a few sets of the lifting mounts that bolt to the frame and front bumper. I have some civilian vehicles that I want to set up for towing behind my deuce. I'll pay something plus shipping. If anyone is going to a scrap yard please keep me in mind. The loops (whatever they're called) would be nice and I'll pay for them, but not necessary.

Keeping the pintle hook on the back, the trailer plug and any serviceable light housings would be a good idea, too. I could probably make a long list of nice-to-keep parts, but I'll stop there.

Oh, power steering parts too. I'm going to look like the governor of a western state pretty soon, at least from the chest up. I learned all over again why you don't hook your thumbs inside the steering wheel when you are maneuvering on rough ground.

Arlyn

Barrman

Something else to consider when towing a M35 with a smaller vehilce is where you attach the tow bar to the M35.

Look at my avatar. I took that after towing my M35 Gasser home from a field with the M715. The normal tow bar/shackle mounts were stolen from the front bumper. I used the axle wraps to attach the tow bar. Worked great, just wanted to push me around when I stopped. A few months later, Spicergear and I were talking about towing Dueces with M715's and he asked how I did it. It seems he did the same vehicles with the tow bar on the shackle mounts above the M35 bumper. Everytime he tried to accelerate, the rear of the M715 was pulled off the ground by the tow bar. I just blindly got lucky.

Just something else to think about when towing.

nattieleather

One can make the tow light bar by using two GI tail lights and some box tubing. Bolt light to tubing hook up wires to cable. If you have some take off lights that are in good shape and some box tubing laying around then the whole thing can be done on the cheep.