• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Light Bar with 8-pin plug

m715mike

Here's some information about the tow light bar and cable assembly.

m715mike light bar.JPG

According to TM 9-2320-260-10, the "Tow Light and Cable Assembly" was a basic issue item (or "BII") on the M816 and M819 5-ton wreckers. The tow light bar and cable were issued together under one NSN number (NSN 2590-01-436-9145).

TM 9-2320-272-10 includes an Additional Authorized List for the M939, M939A1 and M939A2 series vehicles that has the following:

• Tow Light Bar (NSN 6220-01-377-9133)
  • Tow Light Cable (NSN 6150-01-379-7272)
  • Tow Light and Cable Assy (NSN 2590-01-436-9145)

After purchasing a tow light bar earlier this year, I quickly realized what several others already knew. The tow light cable with an 8-pin male plug is difficult to find. I've managed to acquire two of the 8-pin male plugs. One is just the plug with wire leads and the second is part of a complete 50-foot cable. Much to my surprise, the 8-pin plugs are slightly different. One fits my tow light bar and the other does not. The only noticeable differences are the location of the two (for lack of a better term) "guide pins" on the lower half of the male plug and a slightly different part number.

The male end of the 8-pin plug has three guide pins around the circumference of the plug. These guide pins fit into slots on the female end of the plug. The guide pin at the top of the male plug is wider than the two guide pins on the bottom half.

My two 8-pin male plugs have slightly different part numbers. Actually, they differ by one number: LADD HD36-18 8SN-059; and LADD HD56-18 8SN-059. I've been told that the "HD36" means that the male plug was shipped without wire leads; whereas, the "HD56" was shipped with wire leads. I do not know if the different part numbers have any correlation to the location of the guide pins.

These pictures show the different guide pin locations:

Plug comparison_2.jpgPlug comparison_1.jpg

Here is a picture of the male end with part number LADD HD36-18 8SN-059 and its corresponding female end:

ixpacman combo.jpg

Here is a picture of the male end with part number LADD HD56-18 8SN-059 and its corresponding female end:

m715mike combo.jpg

Lastly, the male plug with part number LADD HD56-18 8SN-059 came with a cap as pictured below. The other 8-pin male end did not have a cap.

8-pin plug with cap_1.jpg8-pin plug with cap_2.jpg

m715mike

Glancing through the classifieds today, I saw an add for Oshkosh MK48 60-foot winch control pendant cables. The male connector on the cable looks awfully familiar. Since posts in the classifieds get deleted, I'm not going to post a link. But, here's the content of the add:

Title: Oshkosh MK48 & others 60FT winch control pendant cable 6110-01-269-5234 1524500U

Description: New winch control cable nsn 6110-01-269-5234. 60 foot cable with weatherproof in and out button control.
attachment.jpgattachment2.jpgattachment3.jpg

I can make out "LADD HD 56 18 ..." in the third picture. I'll contact the seller to confirm the part number on the male plug. Also, it looks like only four wires are used in this cable. I believe that should work for someone that does not plan to use black out lights on their tow light bar. Maybe this is another source of cables / male plugs for the tow light bars out there.

SLOrazorsedge

I bought a NOS light bar and a fresh newly made connecting cable from member Joehamilton . Joe has a source to buy the proper plugs. I had a custom length 8 ft. Cable made up to run on the rear of my wrecker for the auxiliary lights.

m715mike

I had same problem with my cable. 20 min with a small jig saw blade fixed it.

Excellent solution camoyj! I initially planned to file down the male end of the plug. However, your solution will allow me to use my tow light bar with either style male end.

I got after it with a jig saw blade this morning. I admit, it took me longer than 20 minutes, but it worked none the less.

Plug_2.jpgPlug_1.jpg

Today was a big step in the right direction, but I am not quite there yet. The center marker light didn't work. I'm hoping it is just a loose connection on the tow light bar. We'll see. Also, the cable I purchased has the turn signals wired backwards, which shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

Plug_3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks