• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a 5 ton behind a 5 ton

Dickford

If your route brings you through (or near) Columbus IN, I have a medium, along with gladhand air lines if you don't have them.

We can likely work out some sort of reasonable trade......
:beer:
PM me when your timing firms up and we can talk details.

Dave
Dave This is Rick Koetter, I purchased a few M936 wreckers and need to tow and M923 cargo truck, I need to know what all tow bars and rigging I will need and where I might find it, can you help? If so please call me at 502-643-2909 Thanks

jwesley74

Anyone know where I can find light cord (pig tail) to tow M923 with M925? I'm searching threads and ebay etc... what is the official name of the light cord?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Longer when towing with any overhang of the rear body beyond the pintle, or towing a W/W truck - otherwise short as possible so that vehicle interferance isn't an issue on your tightest expected turn. Tight turns not recommended.
The inside tube on a turn will try to buckle if there is a lot of resistance to the steering.

JingoJohn

NEED OPINIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS on similar topic (Not attempting to hijack thread) I pulled an XM1073 trailer (7.5 ton) from WVa with a 12,000 crawler on board with my first 923A2 to Denver, Colorado.
NOW, I want to hook my 925A2 to the front of my 923A2 (with a mill spec bar) so I can pull the XM1073 and crawler up a mountain road. The pull would be about 8 miles with a few short grades in the 15-25% range. The 'road' is not a 'jeep trail' but it is not even up to county secondary standards. I don't want to 'walk' the dozer 8 miles.
IDEAS?
THINKING ON SUBJECT?
RISKS?
POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO either 6x6? (Most important factor)

Csm Davis

Okay a few questions didn't get a answer so here are some of my insights.
As to lights on the truck being pulled if it has good batteries and you hookup airlines to it, turn on the light switch to the first click, stop/turn position and put the flashers on and the brake lights will illuminate when the front truck puts on brakes, no cord needed.
As to a 931 pulling a 923 yes it can be done safely, not the correct way to do it but there is not a lot of weight difference between them, a lot of guy are surprised by the rear of the cargo getting pushed around but without some weight back there the rear is prone to getting pushed around and the long wheel base trucks are actually more likely than the standard trucks because of the leverage.
Neat setup I had someone bring to my yard for pickup of 2 931s was a pair of ramps and a piggyback design. The ramps pressed against the rear tires and hooked on the frame of the fifth wheel device worked well just needed a little bit of renforcement and a good way to lock the truck to the device to keep it from rocking the fifth wheel.

Csm Davis

NEED OPINIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS on similar topic (Not attempting to hijack thread) I pulled an XM1073 trailer (7.5 ton) from WVa with a 12,000 crawler on board with my first 923A2 to Denver, Colorado.
NOW, I want to hook my 925A2 to the front of my 923A2 (with a mill spec bar) so I can pull the XM1073 and crawler up a mountain road. The pull would be about 8 miles with a few short grades in the 15-25% range. The 'road' is not a 'jeep trail' but it is not even up to county secondary standards. I don't want to 'walk' the dozer 8 miles.
IDEAS?
THINKING ON SUBJECT?
RISKS?
POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO either 6x6? (Most important factor)
I thought this question deserved a separate answer. I think that if you were to put about 8000 lbs in the rear of your 925 it will pull it up that hill all by itself. But if you don't want to try it alone by all means hook up and go with both but I would hook up the air lines from the front truck to the second so that the front driver is in total control of the whole thing and would still recommend the weight in the beds of the trucks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have done a M931 towing a M923A2. We removed the drive shifts, hooked up air lines and lights, checked fluids in Axles.
It towed very nice, but any hill like most MV's it slowed down.
Just keep them at a safe speed and it should work just fine.
Be sure to use safety chains!!!!!

datadawg

Tonight, on my way home from the Black Hills of SD, coming down hiway 81 from Neb. into Kansas I passed a convoy of about 4-5 pairs, one truck pulling a second truck on a towbar, of 5tons (M813's) out Lincoln, Ne. Not one had a plate and I bet they never stopped at the weigh stations and bet they never even got a second look from the cops.
Convoy of trucks is much safer, b/c all LEO assume it's military. Don't think it's the same with one truck. I think attire also makes a difference, wear military gear and you are more likely to get waived through.

74M35A2

Lighter trucks pull heavier loads all the time on all levels. F-350's, semi-trucks, etc. If you feel there is risk, then do it at night time when traffic is near zero, leave at midnight. I've never understood why they issue wide-load and over-size permits for daytime use. Should be permissible from 12-5a only. So stupid to see a wind generator blade going down the freeway at 5p in rush hour traffic. BS, move that thing at 3am.

Last edited:

Jericho

I ve done a few recoveries, from as far away as Delaware to NH , They ae always a hoot, but ive learned two things. 1, did a tow bar haul from NJ to NH was a pain in the neck the whole way , kept it to 45 mph MAX ! If your going after a truck, either get it running and drive it OR 2, Trucking is relatively cheap. A everyday OTR rig will easily and safely haul all the trucks. Brought one from Pensie to NH $1000 flat fee. By the time I go to a recovery , Transportation , rooms, meals , insurance, registrations, fuel, fluids ,spend time getting the truck ready, haul tools, change parts, and all the worry as you run it down the highway and just picked it up isn't worth it financially . Catch a local trucker on a back haul , it WORKS, Connecticut to New Hampshire last spring on a five ton $500, cash

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks