• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce

ARYankee

Well I'm going to be doing a recovery at Hooks which is not drastically far from home. I'm going to take my deuce, chase car, extra driver, and a medium towbar. If I can't get it to safely operate or don't feel comfortable having some one drive it, we will tow it. This is going to be my first time doing this so I will definitely be taking my time and being careful. I was just looking for a little advice and insight from those that have experience doing this.

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I use to work on dumptrucks. we had a peterbilt 335 weighted 18,000 empty and it was havein trouble so they sent it to the dealer to have the code read. It stoped runnin and they pulled about 15 miles to the dealer with a lifted f-250. On the highway right about rush hour. Why is being in a towed truck illegal? We do it all the time around here in MO and the cops never say anything, somebody got to steer it.

I had one of the best men for the job tow one of my deuces with one of my other deuces using his towbar. It was a trip through about 80 miles of Alabama's finest hills, and we had a fan club behind us on a few telling us we were #1...
Anyway, I would use a towbar and the same size or larger truck to tow one, but not a smaller truck by any means. And that's about all I have to say about that...

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't post all the stuff I've done but lets just say, you wouldn't be the first to attempt it, if you did! With that said, I would have been dead 50 times by now according to all the previous posts. I'm still here though!
You and me both Kenny. I would never sugest this to anyone though.

ATC

Does anyone know what speeds would be reached? I don't think anyone has asked that question.

If it requires driving on a busy interstate/highway...then no.

Anything else is fair game in my book. Don't go much over 30mph and you'll be just fine. I've towed many 6-7k loads on trailers at 60+mph with no trailer brakes (trailer was wired differently than my truck so my brake controller wouldn't work) with my '06 1-ton Cummins. Stopped just fine.

Find a buddy to help steer and work the brakes on the towed vehicle.

And to tell you the truth, the ticket will probably be cheaper than getting a medium duty tow truck out there :cookoo::-D

nhdiesel

02-15-08_1423.jpg

500 miles, no problem. But I would NEVER use a towbar unless the tow vehicle is as heavy or heavier than the towed vehicle. Even then towbars can get you in trouble, and you should use extreme caution.

Some safety nazis would have given us a hard time with that load, but the trailer is rated for it, the truck will easily handle it, and there was an experienced driver behind the wheel.

For 10 miles, I'd see about borrowing a trailer and take it slow and easy.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks