• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TOWING A M35A3 from TN to MD. CDL NEEDED?

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
Im picking up a A3 from TN and loading it on my trailer to tow it back to maryland. (600 miles).
QUESTION: Will I get nailed from the DOT Ford Explorers/officers for loading a 13K deuce on my 16k trailer and /or not stopping at the weight stations?..Ive moved them this way local, with no problems. Also from PA, once with no problems.(100 miles). Im pulling it with my F350 4dr 4x4 Powerstroke duellie. I dont stop at the weight stations and have no comerical status. My trailer is a alumiun 2 axel (8K) per axel. 35' long goose neck 2 car hauler. I know im over 25K..I just got my Health card & learners Permit (CDL). Im not sure its ok for out of state use.
Im I pushing the meter, or does other people like me move them this way with no problems? Should i wait until i get my finial (CDL) in a few weeks?
I normally have a shipper move them, but thought my son and i would have some fun.
Kevin...

Last edited:

63sierra10

Being that you are using an F-350 you are good to go on the CDL part. As for the weigh atation thing it varies from state to state. I know Nebraska requires all trucks and pickups with trailers to weigh, each state has their own rules for that.

Nonotagain

If the loaded trailer weight exceeds 10K, you need a class B license, not nessarly a CDL unless you are doing the transportation as a business.

What is the listed manufacturers GVW on you dually? Again, if you are purchasing these trucks as a business, now your dually needs and IFTA number and the gvw posted on the truck.

greenjeepster

Being that you are using an F-350 you are good to go on the CDL part. As for the weigh atation thing it varies from state to state. I know Nebraska requires all trucks and pickups with trailers to weigh, each state has their own rules for that.
No he isn't... The combo is with a trailer in excess of 10 K, it doesn't matter what he is pulling it with.

Will you make it without a ticket? Maybe. Is your insurance going to drop you for being over the legal limit if you are in an accident? Probably.

It is a risk regardless of whether you get caught or not.

"15 deuces for sale" is clearly a business, you need a cdl and dot numbers and must run through the scale if you want to do this right.

Last edited:

jwaller

No he isn't... The combo is with a trailer in excess of 10 K, it doesn't matter what he is pulling it with.

Will you make it without a ticket? Maybe. Is your insurance going to drop you for being over the legal limit if you are in an accident? Probably.

It is a risk regardless of whether you get caught or not.

"15 deuces for sale" is clearly a business, you need a cdl and dot numbers and must run through the scale if you want to do this right.
yup, everything he said is right. you will not be legal, weather you get caught or not is not that important. if you do I suspect it will be a costly fine.

what rating are the tires on the trailer and truck and do you have working brakes on trailer?

why don't you drive the deuce home?

63sierra10

Ok I did not know it was a business. Yes if it is for a business you need to follow the same laws as any other commercial driver. Also each state has their own set of laws on top of the federal laws. In Wy. you do not need a CDL unless it is over 26,001 lbs. You also do not need a CDL in Wy. unless it has air brakes or any combination of. Like i said earlier each state is different on their laws. Also is the pick up registered to you or as the business. There are loop holes that can be found. You may also find some states say the combination of the GVWR is what determines your qualification. Say the truck is rated at 10,000 and the trailer is rated at 10,000 that makes 20,000, and some might say it is what the GVW is in combination so the truck weighs 7,000 the trailer weighs 3,000 the deuce weighs 13,000 that is 23,000, all nubers are just figures. We have a DOT officer near by that knows how to read federal and state laws to work for her and it usually screws us truckers over if we upset her.

Nonotagain

Hey Guys,
Im picking up a A3 from TN and loading it on my trailer to tow it back to maryland. (600 miles).
I just got my Health card & learners Permit (CDL). Im not sure its ok for out of state use.

Should i wait until i get my finial (CDL) in a few weeks?
I normally have a shipper move them, but thought my son and i would have some fun.
Kevin...
Your Maryland learners permit for the CDL does not allow you to operate outside of Maryland. You need someone with you that holds a valid class A license with you while operating under your learners permit.

Also, you need to verify what the gross combined weight you have your dually registered for. I don't think that a F350 lists a combo weight over about 18K, so you may also get banged for that. You can't exceed the weight that Ford certified your vehicle for.

Years back almost all the small tow trucks and rollback trucks were based on the F350, Chevy 3500 or Dodge 350 series trucks. Then DOT changed the rules and proclaimed that you can not exceed the maximum weight that the manufacturer certified the vehicle for. End of F350 tow trucks and rollbacks.

roscoe

That big A3 on that trailer is going to be an eye-catcher. If it was something smaller I'd say you would probably less likely to have a problem. I've got the same setup F350 + 16K trailer = over 26K GVWR combination vehicle. Class A CDL needed. I'd also be a little concerned that that trailer is too light for the A3. I vote drive it with back-up vehicle or flat tow with one of your other trucks - now that would be more of an adventure.:)

rideni

I would be a little scared driving an f-350 with such a heavy load on it. I'm guessing its a gooseneck not a tag a long with a pintle. Still would scare me a bit

TaylorTradingCo

I pull Dueces regularly with my F350. I try to avoid scales. It is harder to do on longer trips.

I have a triple axle gooseneck. It handles the 12K# Deuce great, a box van weighs in at 15K# and you can really tell the difference. I don't know what the M35A3 weighs, but it would have to be similar.

What concerns me most, aside form legality issues, is the capacity of the trailer. Your axles may be rated at 8K# each for a total of 16K#, but you have to take off the weight of your trailer from that. One time I forgot that and loaded my triple axle (three 7K# axles) with about 20K# of weight. I only got a few miles down the road and the u-bolts broke and dropped my shackles on the ground, not to mention I bent all of my axles. My trailer weighs 7-8K#. I guess if it is an aluminum trailer you may still be ok, but you will be pushing the limits.

I don't know what kind of car hauler it is, but if it is the kind that comes up over the bed, height can be an issue too.

I had an accident up in IL on a trip a while back and an axle broke and the tire went across the interstate and hit a car right in the windshield. That really put the fear of God into me about trucking and safety. I would recommend you hire it done from a fellow SS member here. One advantage to having it hired is that they only charge you for one way. If you do it yourself you are having to drive there and back.

greenjeepster

Fly in to Nashville and drive it back. If you fly in on Saturday, I'll be glad to pick you up and take you to Ft. Campbell.
It was listed as " Did not start" Flying in would be a big risk if it has more problems than dead batteries.

I was bidding on it, but wasn't willing to take a chance on it at the price it went at and I am 400 miles closer than the OP.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Also, when they list it a "did not start", they ONLY jump in and hit the start button. If it doesn't crank, then they don't even try to jump start it and instead list it as "did not start". Probably because the attendants only get paid by the hour and not a percentage of the sale. Can't blame them really.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is at Ft. Campbell you will only be in TN while on base (all trucks have to enter through gate 7 which is in KY) so you won't have to worry about scales or anything in TN.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks